Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hdtv Help

Skin Them Alive

Reading all of this stuff on HDTV"s is making my head explode. Like many. I am searching for an HDTV. I am trying to get one from Wal Mart because my friend will get 20% off the price of any TV.

I am going to post some links to ones I'm considering. Any help or comments will be appreciated. Thanks.

32" Samsung

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...duct_id=5031323

42" Panny

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...duct_id=5131708

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...duct_id=5006533

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...duct_id=4790603

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...duct_id=5162311

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...duct_id=5334817

I know I have alot of different options but as you can see they are all within the 1,000- 1,500 range. Just pic the one that you like the best for gaming/durability. Consider the fact that I will get 20% and what is truley a good deal.Thanks for your help fellas.

Word of advice, go check them out for yourself. Viewing angle is a big thing and can be a bit misleading unless you can look at the TV in person. Personally, I'm not a fan of rear projection TVs and would go for an LCD or plasma screen. Keep in mind that, although plasma TVs are nice, they do have a limited lifespan (I'm tempted to say averaging around 40,000 hours... but thats just off the top of my head and I could be way off).

Word of advice, go check them out for yourself. Viewing angle is a big thing and can be a bit misleading unless you can look at the TV in person. Personally, I'm not a fan of rear projection TVs and would go for an LCD or plasma screen. Keep in mind that, although plasma TVs are nice, they do have a limited lifespan (I'm tempted to say averaging around 40,000 hours... but thats just off the top of my head and I could be way off).

Thanks for the advice. I have checked out these and I would say that you are right about the rear projection TV's. I didn't like the glare affect. I like that Samsung32' lcd.

I am also liking the Pannasonc 42' Plasma. I guess I am going to have to figure in the lifespan of the PLasma TVS. Does anyone know if this model has burn in issues? I just registered to AVS so I am waitning on an email form them so I can register. It is taking forever though.

DOes anyone have the Samsung 32' or the Panny42'?:)

All gamers should get the LCD screens, but make sure you don't get one with a bad refresh rate, or response time.

The Sony lists it's refresh rate at 8ms, that's good, you want that one.

I didn't see the rating on the samsung, so it's probably slower.

When you put two LCDs side by side you can see the difference, the one with a faster refresh rate won't be as blurry.

And if you left the Plasma on for 24 hours it would still last for 4+ years.

All gamers should get the LCD screens, but make sure you don't get one with a bad refresh rate, or response time.

The Sony lists it's refresh rate at 8ms, that's good, you want that one.

I didn't see the rating on the samsung, so it's probably slower.

When you put two LCDs side by side you can see the difference, the one with a faster refresh rate won't be as blurry.

That is why I was looking at an LCd but none of the ones there are really any good. I have been reading the avs forums and everyone there has been saying that the Panny Plasma is the best option. I haven't heard anything about burn in issues. I think I'm leaning towards it. I'll have to do some research but thanks for the help. IT is taking forever to get confirmation from other site so I can starta thread in an electronics forum.

IF anyone has the 42' Panny plasma and has some comments about it .Fill me in.

Model # TH42PX60U. Thanks

That is why I was looking at an LCd but none of the ones there are really any good. I have been reading the avs forums and everyone there has been saying that the Panny Plasma is the best option. I haven't heard anything about burn in issues. I think I'm leaning towards it. I'll have to do some research but thanks for the help. IT is taking forever to get confirmation from other site so I can starta thread in an electronics forum.

IF anyone has the 42' Panny plasma and has some comments about it .Fill me in.

Model # TH42PX60U. Thanks

Burn-in typically isn't a problem unless you have a bad habit of leaving your TV on for a long period of time in situations where the image (or part of the image) is not changing. So, if you're playing a game and leave it on the menu screen for 4 hours odds are it'll burn in.

Panasonic does have some nice plasma sets, currently I have a 42" EDTV plasma model sitting in my basement that functions pretty nicely.

Burn-in typically isn't a problem unless you have a bad habit of leaving your TV on for a long period of time in situations where the image (or part of the image) is not changing. So, if you're playing a game and leave it on the menu screen for 4 hours odds are it'll burn in.

Panasonic does have some nice plasma sets, currently I have a 42" EDTV plasma model sitting in my basement that functions pretty nicely.

Yeah. That is something I will most likely not do. After reading reviews on several sites the Panny seems like the best option. I have heard nothin but good reviews and this set was going for $2,000 plus last year. I will get it for about $1100 which ain't bad at all.

Again. Thanks for everyones help. I can't wait to finally get a HDTV.

I am also going to need to get a surround sound system. Is it reaslistic to think I can get a good quality system for $150-250? Doesn't need to be top of the line. Also I hear that should calibrate your TV. Is something that is easy to do?

ok i have the packet with me..

ratings are based on 720 resolution.. all of them are rear projection tvs

1. toshiba 62hmi196 (1080p)sam

2. toshiba cinema series 56hmx96

3. toshiba 56hm96

4. samsung hl5687w (1080p)

5. samsung hl s5087w (1080p) i think i will be getting this 1

6. samsung hl s5679w (1080p)

Which DLPs would that be?

Because the majority of them don't even compare to a good LCD.

What LCDS are best for their price here.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=538394&fromPageCatId=3996&catNavId=3996

I don't know much about the required response time for gaming but lag is something that is stearing me away from lcds.

I have the 42 inch model Panasonic. It's great and that's a fantasic price. I paid two grand for it when it was considered the best tv for your buck by consumer reports. No complaints at all.

Ditto.

You can also get the Panasonic directly from the manufacturer. I did this and saved $200+ right off the bat. Check out their website. Also, they offer financing with several different options as far as your interest rates. I opted for 90 days same as cash and didn't have to pay a penny in finance charges. I researched for a couple of months and really my only complaint is that the same TV is cheaper now. It is a fantastic TV. Also, I don't know if this is true but I have heard from several sources that the electronics that Wallyworld sells are cheaper because the "guts" IE. the wiring circuit boards etc. are inferior.

Hope that this helps.

Here's a couple of facts that I've gathered while researching.

EDTV is indistinguishable from a true HDTV if it is 42" or less because a 42" just isn't big enough to carry a true HDTV picture.

DLP tv's are bulky and suffer from a "screen door" picture. In other words, if you're too close to the tv itself, your picture will look like you're viewing through a screen door.

Plasma TV's suffer from glare at certain angles.

LCD TV's are pricier and the picture tends to be darker than Plasma's.

www.projectorcentral.com/hdtv_edtv.htm

I gotta disagree there. My friend has the EDTV version of my set. The difference is obvious.

Don't take my word for it.

What does that mean? Well, in case you haven't read it already, Senior Editor David Katzmaier spells it out it very clearly in his excellent EDTV vs. HDTV explainer. To thin-slice it, while EDTV equates only to the resolution of a wide-screen DVD (852x480 pixels), an EDTV can still display an HDTV signal; you just won't see HD in its full-blown high-res glory.

Simple enough, right? Buy a 42-inch EDTV plasma, and you get to see your DVDs "be all that they can be," but your HD gets a little shortchanged. And buy a 42-inch HDTV plasma, and you get full-monty HD. Not so fast, Ace (sound of screeching brakes). It turns out that no current 42-inch plasma can resolve the full resolution of HD; they're either at 1,024x768 pixels or at 1,024x1,024 pixels (technically, 1,280x720 pixels is the entry level for HD). That's why in our reviews of said 42-inch plasmas, such as the Panasonic TH-42PHD7UY, we label them high-resolution, not HDTV. Note that all 50-inch plasmas, on the other hand, do have true HD resolution

So once you accept our word that burn-in really isn't an issue with the latest plasmas--whatever their resolution--the question becomes: how much better does HDTV look on a high-resolution plasma than on an EDTV plasma? The answer: not much, especially if you sit far enough away from your TV. Apparent resolution has a lot to do with seating distance, and unless you sit quite close to the set--say, seven feet or less--you probably won't be able to tell the difference in sharpness between a 42-inch EDTV and a 42-inch HDTV side by side. It's also worth noting that because black levels, or the TV's ability to display an inky black, may be superior on some EDTVs, their images may look slightly better with darker scenes. And remember, regular or standard definition TV and progressive-scan DVD look essentially the same on both sets.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-5683218-1.html?tag=bnav

Archived