Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I for one can't wait to see Mark Brunell...

skinnyles

Grade me  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Grade me

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

on the sidelines, helping the rookie get his feet under himself.

I've always admired Marks maturity and calmness,.and have always felt he would probable make a good coach. Coach Gibbs knows this too...and that is why he will be the #2 QB on Sunday.

His being there to mentor JC make "ME" feel a whole lot more confident. He is still a good leader for this team and I feel he will do us honorably on the sidelines. HTTR

I cant wait to see Mark on the sideline...where he belongs. Seriously, i really hope he embraces his new role and helps JC develop. My only concern is that we know MB's heart is still in Jax and he really doesnt have any incentive to help us (beside his paycheck). MB is a good guy...just hope he doesnt decide to leave before helping Jason. :logo:

i agree , brunell's hear is in jax , i think he is a great mentor and will help keep JC calm , he knows the game he just doesnt have the tools anymore ... so maybe he will do a lot of good mentoring the young guy for us , i hope so anyway cause hes gonna need it

I believe Mark is a really good dude. I'd be surprised if he took the Brett Farve route and refuse to mentor JC. Like i noted earlier, when the news broke i was very, very happy. Yet there was a part of me that felt sorry for him. Its not like this is Jeff George, i think he is really a stand up guy. Lets hope his experience pays off for JC.

I've always admired Marks maturity and calmness,.and have always felt he would probable make a good coach. Coach Gibbs knows this too...and that is why he will be the #2 QB on Sunday.

His being there to mentor JC make "ME" feel a whole lot more confident. He is still a good leader for this team and I feel he will do us honorably on the sidelines. HTTR

Classy post :cheers:

See, we're pretty classy down here in VB ;)

I hope MB shows once again why he is a classy supersmart veteran by helping JC along, even though he'll still be hated by the Brunell Witch Hunters who have so classlessly burned him at the stake here at ES.

Ok sure many of us brunell bashers have called for brunell's benching for a long time. I was most vigorous in wanting him benched and am extremely happy he is 2nd string now. However, I still really like Brunell as a person and am extremely happy he is here to mentor JC. But also why wouldn't he stay? He has a 7 year contract for 43 million dollars. Why would he retire hes gonna me making wads of cash so he might as well stick around and tutor JC. I will never dislike brunell as a person but as a QB I never felt he was adequate.

Mark hasn't had the easiest time in D.C. He has taken more than his fair share for everything that has gone wrong in his time here. And never once did I hear him bash his teammates, coaches or anybody else. He was always classy and a true pro. On one hand I feel for him. As someone put it to me this guy has always played football his whole life, and winding up as a backup at the downside of his career is like losing his dream. But he has been a pro, a great player, and provided some very memorable moments even this year. Some of his plays have been the best I will ever remember. Beating Dallas both times last year, leading us to the playoffs, hitting Moss vs Jacksonville earlier in the year, and record vs the Texans just to name a few. But he isn't done yet. If Campbell suceeds I think Brunell will have played a huge hand in it and his sideline support will be priceless. When JC tosses that first int it will be Brunell who will show this kid the way. I think as much crap as he has taken he deserves some credit too and if we need a backup to come in at some point i feel confident in him.

See, we're pretty classy down here in VB ;)

Oh yeah, the Hampton Roads area is a mecca of classiness. :rolleyes:

I hope Brunell will relish the "player coach" type of role. However, given his stubborn ways I don't really see him doing so.

One thing I always wonder about these mentor type of relationships is why they are so hyped in the first place. I realize it's nice to have a gritty veteran around to help out but how much important can they be than the coaches? If veteran QB's are so valuable as coaches then why aren't there more of them on the sidelines? I think a lot of times that excuse is used just to keep veterans happy and give them a feeling of accomplishment. :2cents:

oh yeah, and charleston is ideal :doh: i've lived in va beach and charleston, and noticed one huge difference. there is almost no major crime in va beach. for such a huge city, that's pretty impressive, an incredibly low crime rate. but, to your credit, you did say hampton roads.......as for that, hampton, newport news, portsmouth and norfolk are the pits and need to be demolished. :laugh:

as for brunell, i do think he'd make a great coach, but not anytime soon. i think he is still so caught up in thinking he can compete, that he will be unwilling to fully accept his new role, which is completely natural. but, if he retires after the season, which he should, then i think in the next 3 years or so, he will make a decent coach, and maybe even great one day after he hones his skills.

Mark needs to accept his new role. I suspect until JC proves that he's better for the team, Mark won't fully believe it. Deep down he'll always believe that if he gets rested, he can rally back the team. Of course, he'll show class supporting JC but he won't be comfortable with his new role as #2.

The best scenario is for JC to excel and for Mark to accept that his days as starter are over. That he's now a senior QB whose role is to mentor/support a young kid. He obviously was not willing to do that with Byron Leftwich in Jax. He didn't believe his days were over. I don't think Mark is there yet. Clearly Gibbs isn't either. He still is holding out some hope that he can lean on Mark to rest up and save the Redskins if JC ends up being a bust.

Good post!!! I agree that MB will be a great mentor to JC.

I hope Brunell will relish the "player coach" type of role. However, given his stubborn ways I don't really see him doing so.

One thing I always wonder about these mentor type of relationships is why they are so hyped in the first place. I realize it's nice to have a gritty veteran around to help out but how much important can they be than the coaches? If veteran QB's are so valuable as coaches then why aren't there more of them on the sidelines? I think a lot of times that excuse is used just to keep veterans happy and give them a feeling of accomplishment. :2cents:

Oh yeah, Brunell has always been really stubborn. Heck, all QBs when they get older just step aside and admit they are done. :doh: And probably the reason for mentors not being on the sidelines is exactly the same. What older QB wants to admit they are finished?? If you have been good enough to start in the NFL for years why would you decide to spend the last few on the sidelines as a 2nd string? Most won't do it. If he does, it proves to me at least that he is indeed as classy a guy as many claim him to be. If he doesn't, I don't blame him at all.

I too do not have anything against brunell personally. Back in the day he was a good QB. He is a good guy and a stand up guy, very classy. But his age has caught up with him and he cant play at a high level anymore. thats all. he might be a good back up.

Brunell will be able to provide Campbell with advice that only a true vet can. He has faced a great amount of adversity and as produced mixed results, but no one can deny the fact that he has come through when many least expected it.

However I'm still reluctant because no one has absolutely stated that Campbell will be the starter throughout the rest of the year. Mark might be the starter later in the year or even next year depending on how this season ends. I don't think Jason will be "thrown under the bus" that quickly...but you never know in Washington.

I think both guys have a tremendous amount of character, we need to see that ball get down the field now. I am at the point where I don't even care about the playoffs or big wins....just don't drop them like against NYG and Philly, I was cheering the Skins to get 10 and they couldn't even do that. :doh:

:logo:

Archived