Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wishful thinking: Rejuvinated 'D' after the Bye Week

NattyLight

I've been taking a look at the NY football Giants' defensive performance pre and post bye week and the results are staggering...take a look:

Week 1 327yds, 22fd, 26pts, 11-16 (opp 3rd conv)

Week 2 451yds, 24fd, 24pts, 6-14

Week 3 333yds, 26fd, 42pts, 10-16

-----------------------------------Bye Week

Week 5 164yds, 10fd, 3pts, 3-11

Week 6 329yds, 16fd, 14pts, 6-14

Week 7 379yds, 21fd, 22pts, 7-11

Week 8 174yds, 10fd, 3pts, 2-16

(Please feel free to do the calculations and deltas yourself ;)

The whole country was straight blasting the Giants D, so they went into their bye week, addressed the issues, and now they are straight nasty.

Theses are the adjustments that G. Williams and company need to make in order to have a successful second half of the season. We should be rockin' right around 100% with player health, AA and now troy vincent getting comfortable after some time in the system, and Burnt and Toast riding pine (hopefully).

I know the players had a couple of days off, but I betcha that G. Williams has been going over the squad's and his playcalling's short comings nonstop and now has a good idea on how to match up with the rest of the NFC.

Just wanted to show the difference a bye week can make and give a little good Karma. It all starts at FedEx Sunday boys and girls. Let's hope we see the D we expected at the beginning of the year.

Hail.

Good point. Health is a big thing too. I just posted in another thread how this will be the first game this year where our complete starting D-line and starting CB's will all be on the field together. If that doesn't help' date=' I don't know what will...

:dallasuck[/quote']

Yep. I expect a lot from the d this week. Vincent is going to help as well -- Archuleta will be on the bench real soon.

Completely disagree. Look at those stats. In only 2 of their games this season the Giants have looked "good" defensively. The first being against our anemic offense, the second being against the 30th ranked offense in the NFL, the bucs. It has nothing to do with how well their defense is playing, but who they are playing. Its easy to stop bad offenses. The giants D hasnt stopped a decent offense yet.

I disagree. Greg Williams will not bench a veteran free agent who is leading the team in tackles.

Vincent was on the field a lot in his first game. And Archuleta looks completely lost in coverage. Plus, Vincent will do a better job of telling Taylor where he needs to be. He may not take Archuleta's spot, but he is defnitely going to take a lot of his time -- especially on passing downs.

Good point. Health is a big thing too. I just posted in another thread how this will be the first game this year where our complete starting D-line and starting CB's will all be on the field together. If that doesn't help' date=' I don't know what will...

:dallasuck[/quote']

If we are a whole lot better, that will be nice, but it will also show how bad our backups are. :(

That's a major gaffe by our FO. :mad:

Completely disagree. Look at those stats. In only 2 of their games this season the Giants have looked "good" defensively. The first being against our anemic offense, the second being against the 30th ranked offense in the NFL, the bucs. It has nothing to do with how well their defense is playing, but who they are playing. Its easy to stop bad offenses. The giants D hasnt stopped a decent offense yet.

Whether you disagree or not the G-Men have gotten better after the bye week. We've played against crappy offenses too and have not played well on defense. One of the biggest things the Giants are doing now that they weren't doing before the bye week is putting pressure on the QB. They also have like 16 sacks in their last three games. If it's easy to stop bad offenses then we haven't done a good job of it (Jags, Titans) I know we've been banged up, but I guess the point I'm trying to make is we have to take a page out of the Giants coaching staff playbook and make adjustments now.

FYI-Don't let the Brooklyn, NY location fool you, I'm a die hard Redskins fan. But we can't dis credit what the Giants have done after the bye. Hopefully Gregg Williams will have our D pumped and put players in a position to make huge plays this Sunday :point2sky

First three games: 30pts against

Last four: 14pts against

Are you telling me the Seagulls are good this year? There 22nd in the league in total offense and ABSOLUTELY SMOKED the Giants.

Vincent was on the field a lot in his first game. And Archuleta looks completely lost in coverage. Plus, Vincent will do a better job of telling Taylor where he needs to be. He may not take Archuleta's spot, but he is defnitely going to take a lot of his time -- especially on passing downs.

Arch actually has been decent in coverage. Problem is, when other people don't do their job, it makes everyone look bad. For example, that TD that Manning beat Wright and Arch on, Arch had to hold back because of the receiver underneath. And one thing that Manning will burn you on is if you try to cheat.

Jason

Longshot,

Then why was Vincent going in on almost every passing down one week after he signed? Archuleta is lost out there -- and you can't put all the blame on the corners being out of position because being a coach on the field is apparently a big part of the safety's job in this defense. Clark was very good at it. Archuleta is not.

Then why was Vincent going in on almost every passing down one week after he signed?

Was he going in to replace Arch, or was he coming in in nickel situations? (Honest question, really, since I couldn't tell much from what I saw of the game.)

In either case, tho, one could argue that Vincent was taking up the role of Pierson Prioleau, someone we really didn't have a replacement for when he went down.

Archuleta is lost out there -- and you can't put all the blame on the corners being out of position because being a coach on the field is apparently a big part of the safety's job in this defense. Clark was very good at it. Archuleta is not.

Well, one would expect a new guy to struggle a little bit and not know everything from day one.

Jason

Archived