Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Graphic footage of Sniper using a 50cal Rifle

Monkart

My buddy got this from a cousin of his serving in Irag who was not involved with the video he just passed it on (I think he repairs this type rifle). Below in yellow is what was written in the E-mail (READ before watching the video). I have never served and know nothing about these rifles, so I'd like to ask those that have served and know about these rifles, is this footage real? It certainly seems real to me.

These are some examples of the fight in Afghanistan.. These video shots are not made through the shooter's telescopic sight... they are made looking through the spotter's scope. The spotter lies right next to the sniper and helps the sniper to find and home in on the target.

The sniper is using a 50 caliber rifle. A 50 cal. round is about 7-8 inches long and the casing is about an inch in diameter. The bullet itself is one-half inch in diameter and roughly one and one-half inches long. Pay close attention to the beginning of the video. A Taliban is laying on top of the peak in front of you... when you hear the shot fired... watch what happens. The sniper is also about a half mile away... or more. It is not known if the sniper team is Marine or Army. God Bless America for the young men and women fighting for our cause.

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k89/Monkart/50cal/?action=view&current=50cal.flv

OK, that's why I'm asking. I also had no idea of it's age. But you don't seem real sure of the reality.

I know its been around. I know that several guys whom I know, that have a lot of experience with guns, said that there was no way those were humans.

Ok, yep def faked. Here's how to tell and its simply the laws of physics.

Newton's 3rd Law of Motion: "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction." In order to make a body fly away like what is shown in the video it would have to carry with it enough force to produce the movement shown, but you also have to keep in mind that the force comes from the explosion inside the rifle which means that the sniper would have received the same exact force from the explosion that the bullet received. In other words, if the body that was shot flew up in the air, then so must have the sniper. Mythbusters did a really nice job exposing the whole "getting shot and flying backwards" movie myth awhile ago.

<-----10lbs force on target--------bang-------10lbs force on sniper------>

Think of it this way, when you shoot a rifle the same recoil or "kick" that you feel in your shoulder, is the same impact force that the target with receive. (although you have to subtract some force on the target for decrease in speed over distance, but for all intents and purposes the two are the same.)

the only type of firearm that would be able to produce the flying body would have to be about the size of a cannon.

read more here: http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/GBSSCI/PHYS/CLASS/newtlaws/u2l4a.html

There is even a question at the bottom that addresses this same issue.

Newton's 3rd Law of Motion: "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction." In order to make a body fly away like what is shown in the video it would have to carry with it enough force to produce the movement shown, but you also have to keep in mind that the force comes from the explosion inside the rifle which means that the sniper would have received the same exact force from the explosion that the bullet received. In other words, if the body that was shot flew up in the air, then so must have the sniper. Mythbusters did a really nice job exposing the whole "getting shot and flying backwards" movie myth awhile ago.

Think of it this way, when you shoot a rifle the same recoil or "kick" that you feel in your shoulder, is the same impact force that the target with receive. (although you have to subtract some force on the target for decrease in speed over distance, but for all intents and purposes the two are the same.)

the only type of firearm that would be able to produce the flying body would have to be about the size of a cannon.

read more here: http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/GBSSCI/PHYS/CLASS/newtlaws/u2l4a.html

you forgot lbs./sq.in. The rifle butt is appox 20 square inches. The .50cal bullet is about .5 sq./in. So that 10lbs. of force would be multiplied by 40.

nice try though :laugh:

btw I agree that the video was faked, all the bodies move to the left. I think the bullet would just take thier head (or whatever body part) off

you forgot lbs./sq.in. The rifle butt is appox 20 square inches. The .50cal bullet is about .5 sq./in. So that 10lbs. of force would be multiplied by 40.

btw I agree that the video was faked, all the bodies move to the left. I think the bullet would just take thier head (or whatever body part) off

The explanation also disregards the fact that these rifles are built with mechanism to help absorb the recoil. You certainly feel the round leaving but I assume you feel it even more on the other end!

All rifles, and especially a .50 cal, have recoil mechanisms built into the stock, else it would be a hell of a kick when fired, so force in this case means very little

Most snipers I belive use a 350 grain bullet that travels around 1200'ft per second and with about 1200 ft pounds of force. Half a mile is just a litte over 3000 ft, so yes, when that bullet hits something human, it's going to move.

As to whether the video is real, I've never gotten an answer back from the buds I sent it to, but the last one sure looks like a leg flying to me

All rifles, and especially a .50 cal, have recoil mechanisms built into the stock, else it would be a hell of a kick when fired, so force in this case means very little

Most snipers I belive use a 350 grain bullet that travels around 1200'ft per second and with about 1200 ft pounds of force. Half a mile is just a litte over 3000 ft, so yes, when that bullet hits something human, it's going to move.

As to whether the video is real, I've never gotten an answer back from the buds I sent it to, but the last one sure looks like a leg flying to me

Thanks for your imput Sarge, that last shot is the one that looked most realistic to me also. Please let us know what your buds say!

Looks like much heavier mass of the rifle compared to the mass of the bullet results in bullet getting much more kenetic energy...

"The ratio of the energies is the same as the ratio of the masses (and is independent of velocity). Since the mass of the bullet is much less than that of the shooter there is more kinetic energy transferred to the bullet than to the shooter. The larger kinetic energy of the bullet is then dissipated in the target."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physics_of_firearms#Kinetic_Energy

Actually, the 10lbs was just a number that I used to show that the same force sent out in one direction is the same force that is equally applied in the opposite direction. Also taking your consideration of the .5 sq in, what is more probable, that the body would fly in the opposite direction or that the bullet will pierce through the body? Answer in case you're wondering is B.

From what I understand one of those rounds will go all the way through a conventional engine block.

It's pretty amazing because the .50 cal round was intimidating to German soldiers who faced it in WWII (and they had that intimidating MG42 on their side), and it's still just as intimidating today. I have no doubt that it would pretty much explode a head like a watermelon if the shooter got a head shot.

Sorry to rain on this parade but I was right... those are animals.

Allow me to introduce you to Varmint Safari select the "Rock Chucks" link. You will plainly see the portions cut out and put together for this "sniper video" - especially the first shot of the video posted in this thread that I said clearly looked like an animal chilling on a rock.

Actually, the 10lbs was just a number that I used to show that the same force sent out in one direction is the same force that is equally applied in the opposite direction. Also taking your consideration of the .5 sq in, what is more probable, that the body would fly in the opposite direction or that the bullet will pierce through the body? Answer in case you're wondering is B.

A normal round. Now, explosive tipped :D

Allow me to introduce you to Varmint Safari select the "Rock Chucks" link. You will plainly see the portions cut out and put together for this "sniper video" - especially the first shot of the video posted in this thread that I said clearly looked like an animal chilling on a rock.

Yep, that's it animals. Imagine a gun that could blow a person back like that. I mean we're talking an average of 150lbs per person, how much force would it take to lift a person into the air like what is shown. Sure you might be able to deliver the force to the body, but how do you get it to distribute through the body causing it to fly without the projectile simply cutting through the body? That would be a pretty big projectile, much bigger than a .50 cal.

Yup, that is pretty clear. thanks for the reality!!

Archived