Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bad Mood

LoyalSkinsFan

I woke up this morning in a bad mood. Couldn't figure out why.

Thought it could be the lack of sleep.

No.

Maybe it was too cold and my wife was hogging all the blankets.

Nope.

Too much to drink at my friend's birthday party last night.

Yes....but, no.

Time change?

No, again.

And then it hit me.

Dallas week.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen....at 12:01AM, regardless of time zone, time change or time piece, it became Dallas week.

Gonna start off with a list of names:

Flozell Adams

Herb Adderly

Larry Allen

Bill Bates

Dexter Coakley

Tony Dorsett

Terry Glenn

Jackie Harris

Michael Irvin

Daryl Johnston

Bob Lilly

Eugene Lockhart

Harvey Martin

Robert Newhouse

Jay Novacek

Blaine Nye

Terrell Owens

Jethro Pugh

Golden Richards

Emmitt Smith

Jason Witten

Luis Zendejas

For me, each one of those names conjures up some painful Dallas week memory. But the truth is, until I actually SEE the names in print, it's all white noise. I cannot with any words in, or out, of Webster's dictionary describe just how much I HATE the Cowboys.

But, I need them. Without them, it's boring. Without them it's, well, Saints week.

The Cowboys are the Joker to our Batman, Dick Dasterdly to our Dudley Dooright, Hades to our Hercules (I've got a four year old, whaddya want?), and most importantly....Bill Parcells to our Joe Gibbs. As much as we despise them, we must find it in ourselves to admit that we need them...as much as I'm sure they need us.

And, here's the best part.....it matters NOT ONE BIT who the opposing quarterbacks are.

Think about that for a minute.

Let me throw out some more names...

Troy Aikman

Stan Humphries

Craig Morton

Mark Rypien

Drew Bledsoe

Joe Theisman

Gray Hogeboom

Billy Kilmer

Steve Beuerlein

Sonny Jurgensen

Clint Longely

Doug Williams

Roger Staubach

Mark Brunell

Quincy Carter

Gus Frerotte

Pick a name, any name. They're all interchangeable. Some are throw-aways and some are in the Hall of Fame, but in the end, from year to year, the names changed but the rivalry stayed the same.

As for this time around, well, I'm not sure which Brunell will show up, if he even shows up at all. Hell, for all I know, it could be young Jason Campbell's turn to jump onto that list of QB's and enter the fray. And then, I ask myself, what's Tony Romo sits to pee gonna do? Is he going to put it all together or will he crumble under the pressure of the rivalry? Now seemingly healthy, will our defense start playing like the squad we had thought it could be, or will it get picked apart by yet another newbie, as it did a couple weeks ago by Vince Young? I must admit, the image of Jason Campbell, standing tall amidst the pressure of the rush, zipping the ball downfield to a streaking receiver just as he's hit makes me salivate. But, I can't get too far ahead of myself here. Will that image ever become a reality? Are we all that far removed from when we believed Heath Shuler would lead us to victory against the hated Cowboys? Well, you see where that got us.

For this week, anyway, let's not worry about who the quarterback is. That will sort itself out in time.

For this week, let's only worry about the Cowboys. Let's play REDSKIN football...with heart, with conviction and with focus.

Next Sunday, I have a feeling I'm going to wake up in a bad mood again. But this time, I'll know immediately why.

Let's hope the Redskins...our team...wake up in a bad mood that morning, too.

'Cause if they do....

....it's gonna be a good day.

My guess is, in deep in dark places, some Cowboys fans still look back on 1989---you know the one ... David Palmer, some rook named Aikman, 1-15---as a good year.

****s.

Enjoyed the post, Loyal. Good to be reminded even in the worst of times that certain individual games simply mean more than others.

My guess is, in deep in dark places, some Cowboys fans still look back on 1989---you know the one ... David Palmer, some rook named Aikman, 1-15---as a good year.

****s.

Enjoyed the post, Loyal. Good to be reminded even in the worst of times that certain individual games simply mean more than others.

One of the guys I lives with has givin me hell about that.

What a great thread. I always get pumped for this game no matter where either team is in the standings. There isn't a better rivalry in the league.

I feel like the Emperor.... Good... I can feel the hate flowing through the Redskins fans.

TheFan

Archived