Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

#1 Dissapointment this year...O-line

GPREP HOG

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

two weeks in a row we face the 32nd ranked rush defense and do nothing :doh: Washingtons O line is the cure for a bad run defense :laugh:

Not to mention some questionable play calling. We ran at them like 3 times, and then inexplicably gave up. We got stuffed the first few times, but you have to stay committed to the run. After a while the defense gets tired and the safeties start creeping up. And that opens the field for the long ball-- or in Brunell's case, the 10 yarder to Moss.

Its Football Theory 101, something every peewee coach knows. I don't know why it seems to baffle Saunders

For me the biggest disappointment is the linebackers.

Lemar Marshall hasn't progressed after having a pretty good year last year.

Marcus Washington has been mediocre. Wasn't he suppossed to rush the passer more this year and through 7 games he has yet to register a sack.

Holdman sucks, we all knew this but what's disappointing is that Rocky has been unable to unseat him.

The offensive line has been inconsistent but that's been their MO for years now save the December run of 2005.

Brunell is Brunell. Be it 2004,2005 or 2006. He's been exactly what I expected him to be this season.

O-Line is the worst but I went with the coaches since the offensive playcalling is unbelievably bad. Run the ****ing ball at their D line all day and they can't stop it. Almost every single one of our runs aided their pass rush since they were going to the outside everytime anyway.

Freeney has Samuels on a corner in a short skirt tonight.

And Saunders either doesn't know what he is doing or I don't know **** about football but either way the running game blows goat.

I wish there was a choice that said: The team in general

I would have picked that one. They are all the #1 dissapointment and from top to bottom eat ****.

I've been a big supporter of Brunnell but for goodness sake, I think Campbell can at least look around the field a little better.

:2cents:

Ya its the whole team. And I too have been a Brunell supporter and its time to see JC. With this line though I dont know what people are expecting him to do.

Our OL will struggle somewhat because we only have 5 guys we can play.

For this organization to take the next step, it must begin to supplement the talent we have in our OL starters. Right now, the starting OL is pretty good. However, 4 of the 5 starters are 30 or older. For this OL to be at its best, I believe we need to be able to rotate in some young blood from time to time.

I would like to see us draft one or two OL over the next couple years just so we have someone to step in when Samuels, Jansen, and Thomas inevitably start showing their age. The fact is, we've wasted Jansen and Samuels' primes by floundering under 4 different coaches. I don't believe they will improve on the wrong side of 30.

On that same thought, we need to do the exact same thing along the DL...

You build and identify your team along the lines!

Our OL will struggle somewhat because we only have 5 guys we can play.

For this organization to take the next step, it must begin to supplement the talent we have in our OL starters. Right now, the starting OL is pretty good. However, 4 of the 5 starters are 30 or older. For this OL to be at its best, I believe we need to be able to rotate in some young blood from time to time.

I would like to see us draft one or two OL over the next couple years just so we have someone to step in when Samuels, Jansen, and Thomas inevitably start showing their age. The fact is, we've wasted Jansen and Samuels' primes by floundering under 4 different coaches. I don't believe they will improve on the wrong side of 30.

On that same thought, we need to do the exact same thing along the DL...

You build and identify your team along the lines!

The problem is that we dont have any draft picks to use on linemen. We could've gotten Winston Justice this year with our second round pick and still have our second rounder for next year. Also if we werent absolute idiots and trade a high 3rd rounder for Duckett we would've have 1,2 and 3 next year.

"My question is this.......how the FFFF does Belichick do it? Year in and year out he puts in no names who make plays......"

hmmm...makes one wonder about personnel management...now doesn't it?...:-).....

well....if memory serves...the offense did not surrender a sack today. there is some overreacting going on here - just harken back to the good ole ballcoach days if yiu want to remember what a REALLY horrid O-line is like. this line isn't dominating, but it is far from horrible. It needs a QB who can rise above its limitations to lighten the load. and we don't have that. there is enough time, often enough, for a superior QB to execute.

even so...it would be nice to have a pair of road graders at the tackles who can bury a rusher. I didn't just seee freeny out quick Samuels...I saw him muscle right through the dude! Jansen has had his share of problems as well.

not so sure about the guards & center...though I thoug with near certainty that we would be running a lot up the gut (like most teams have against the Colts). so maybe there are problems there as well.

I was thinking during the game that we ought to trade Samuels for a low 1st round or high second round pick. use our inevitably high pick for a pass rushing DE and use the low first/second for a replacement tackle. I hate saying this...but use FA for a CB - they always seem to be out there and this is the route many teams have used (or rather...the draft seems the least likely to produce cb success stories). use our other second round pick for a safety to replace AA. perhaps trade Betts for a 3rd and keep TJ. use the 3rd round pick and all others for line depth. finally, assuming rocky becomes a bona fide and capable LB who can both tackle and cover....sign one FA LB to play dominating, physical MLB. there are other routes...but we are gonna have to use the draft to restock a limitted talent pool IMO.

"My question is this.......how the FFFF does Belichick do it? Year in and year out he puts in no names who make plays......"

hmmm...makes one wonder about personnel management...now doesn't it?...:-).....

well....if memory serves...the offense did not surrender a sack today. there is some overreacting going on here - just harken back to the good ole ballcoach days if yiu want to remember what a REALLY horrid O-line is like. this line isn't dominating, but it is far from horrible. It needs a QB who can rise above its limitations to lighten the load. and we don't have that. there is enough time, often enough, for a superior QB to execute.

even so...it would be nice to have a pair of road graders at the tackles who can bury a rusher. I didn't just seee freeny out quick Samuels...I saw him muscle right through the dude! Jansen has had his share of problems as well.

not so sure about the guards & center...though I thoug with near certainty that we would be running a lot up the gut (like most teams have against the Colts). so maybe there are problems there as well.

Playcalling sucked but Samuels is just garbage.

I marvel at some folks who act like our line is the worst thing about this team. Not even freakin close. Do you watch ANY football besides Skins games? Do you not notice that defenses are waaaay ahead of most offenses around the league - not just ours? Do you notice that most offensive lineman get beat from time-to-time especially on the road? Sheesh.

Still...the 5 players doing their individual jobs is only part of the equation of making an offense go. If teams want to bring all 11 players into the box to stop a running game (today) they can. It's up to the passing game to make them pay.

Pass protection is as much the responsibility of the QB as it is the Oline. Brunell has a way of making this line look bad at times by either dropping too deep, not stepping up, or just "feeling the rush" instead of sensing the rush while keeping his eyes downfield. If you put a top QB behind this line it would be like night and day.

BTW - there isn't a human being on this planet who could block Dwight Freeney 1 on 1 100% of the time in obvious passing situations. Can't be done. Hasn't been done. And Samuels had to do it for the entire 2nd half. Freeney has done this to Orlando Pace and Jonathan Ogden in the exact same setting/circumstances. So cut CS some slack.

Also, trading Samuels would trump any dumb move this team has made in its entire history. We have a right-handed QB who we are trying to develop and we're going to roll the dice at the LT position next year? Tell me the last top LT available in free agency? Tell me what LT we are going to draft? And with what picks? Dumb...dumb...dumb.

The Oline is one thing on this team that doesn't need to be blown up.

If our O line is not to blame then why is it at one point CP had 7 rushes for 1 yard. They should be fresh and ready to knock the chocolate out of anyone in their way when the game begins. Do we have to go back to the days of "max protect" just to keep anyone out of the backfield? They just don't give our qb enough time to throw. I don't care who's under center. Although I wish it were someone with a better arm, vision and feet

Not to defend the play of the O-line cause they struggled in this game as they have most of the season...but as mentioned by Aikman during the game...when you throw short passes as much as we do, it makes the defense play closer to the line and thus this also hampers our running game. So while the O-line is not playing great, we have not been able to execute a scheme to help their poor play

I have to say defense, but I can't determine whether the D-line is more dissappointing or our secondary.

Neither can do their job well ENOUGH to keep our team in the game. I guess I'd say our whole defense has been our biggest dissappointment.

I have to go secondary here. The D line has always been suspect in terms of pass rush (if you don't count that 35 million sack anomoly against the 'boys), and THEY held their own against the run. The linebackers missing tackles made the line look worse today, I think. However, a secondary which was virtually lights-out last year has looked like JV kids against grown-ass-men. Taylor can't be big-time because he has to cover for Archaterrible; Carlos can't catch worth a damn, and Kenny Wright-though he has shown steady improvement-isn't even comparable to Walt Harris.

The O-line was bad, but c'mon, Freeney and Co. aren't exactly scrubs. Also, with better play CALLING (cough Al cough) we'd have run right at them, punched them in the mouth repeatedly, and prevented them from pinning their ears back and making our O-line and washed-up QB look as bad.

Yeah we got trouble, right here in 'ol DC; with a capital T and that rhymes with P and that stands for Playcalling.

Archived