Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs May Have No Choice After Tomorrow...

LoudMouth12thMan

If we lose, which I certainly hope we DO NOT there will likely be sooooo much pressure on Gibbs, Danny, and the team that Brunell could be benched. I'm not sure if this p.o.v. has been offered on ES yet:

Danny is concerned with revenue as well as winning, is he not? If that is the popular belief, then don't you think Snyder would push for Campbell to start so that people will still go to games and spend money on our beloved team? In other words, in the interest of keeping everyone watching/spending money wouldn't the pressure from fans, media, and the front office be too much for Gibbs to ignore? Lets face it, no one wants to continue to watch Brunell if he doesn't play well tomorrow (that includes me...and I've supported him from day 1). With a loss tomorrow we're still in it mathematically (technically :doh: ), but what do you guys/gals think about the pressure on Gibbs to make a change if we lose tomorrow?

Thought I'd spin the topic in a different direction :whoknows:

HTTR!

It all depends on how Brunell performs.

If it's really bad, and Gibbs is worthy of the respect he gets, then he will have to think long and hard about making the change. He doesn't want a debacle after the bye week (home game vs Dallas).

If Brunell performs well and they win OR lose, then it's a lot easier to give him the SEVEN LOSSES that IMO are required before a forced QB change. After 7 losses we are mathematically out of it and we should be building for next year, regardless of how Brunell performed to that point.

So, either poor MB performance or 7 losses - whichever comes first

It all depends on how Brunell performs.

If it's really bad, and Gibbs is worthy of the respect he gets, then he will have to think long and hard about making the change. He doesn't want a debacle after the bye week (home game vs Dallas).

If Brunell performs well and they win OR lose, then it's a lot easier to give him the SEVEN LOSSES that IMO are required before a forced QB change. After 7 losses we are mathematically out of it and we should be building for next year, regardless of how Brunell performed to that point.

So, either poor MB performance or 7 losses - whichever comes first

Yeah that makes sense, but even if we lose and Brunell doesn't put up stellar numbers people will be calling for Campbell.

Two things I 'm pretty sure on.

#1, while Gibbs has a lot of concern for the fans, he doesn't ever do what the fans want if it's not what he thinks is best for the team.

#2 Snyder has not gotten in the way of how gibbs runs things, and while he pays the bills, Gibbs doesn't listen to Snyder when it comes to coaching decissions. While the income my drop while the team is in the state it's in right now, people will continue to buy gear, and go to games. Snyder knows dam well that Gibbs is the teams best shot to get things on track, and knows he has no place stepping in.

Two things I 'm pretty sure on.

#1, while Gibbs has a lot of concern for the fans, he doesn't ever do what the fans want if it's not what he thinks is best for the team.

#2 Snyder has not gotten in the way of how gibbs runs things, and while he pays the bills, Gibbs doesn't listen to Snyder when it comes to coaching decissions. While the income my drop while the team is in the state it's in right now, people will continue to buy gear, and go to games. Snyder knows dam well that Gibbs is the teams best shot to get things on track, and knows he has no place stepping in.

Really, huh? Okay, that's fair enough Pete. So no matter how Brunell performs tomorrow, you don't think that there will be a change at qb until say...7 or 8 losses? I just can't see how Gibbs could handle that pressure knowing that his qb is completely not getting it done (if in fact that scenario happens).

Really, huh? Okay, that's fair enough Pete. So no matter how Brunell performs tomorrow, you don't think that there will be a change at qb until say...7 or 8 losses? I just can't see how Gibbs could handle that pressure knowing that his qb is completely not getting it done (if in fact that scenario happens).

Gibbs will wait til we are mathematically out of the playoff picture, which is the right thing to do, and hopefully will not be done.

Gibbs will wait til we are mathematically out of the playoff picture, which is the right thing to do, and hopefully will not be done.

Well I'm the one that said that here after listening to Redsknis Post Game Live b/c I agreed with Czabe. I'm not saying that Gibbs will change, I'm just saying that he no doubt will feel a lot of pressure if Brunell doesn't perform well. That could lead to an earlier qb switch IMO. Two weeks to prepare a gameplan for the "kid" is a good amount of time. It seems like a possibility no matter how unlikely.

HTTR!

I wish I had the link, its on another thread I think. But basicly ESPN Insider is reporting that they are preparing Campbell to start "sooner rather than later", according to a source inside the organization. So if that is indeed true, then yes, Brunell's job is on the line tomorrow.

I wish I had the link, its on another thread I think. But basicly ESPN Insider is reporting that they are preparing Campbell to start "sooner rather than later", according to a source inside the organization. So if that is indeed true, then yes, Brunell's job is on the line tomorrow.

yeah I saw that too, but I don't think the source was very reliable and I didn't see anything about it on ESPN. I've gotta question the credibility of that source?

HTTR!

Snyder wont tell Gibbs what to do. Gibbs would just ignore him, he knows he's untouchable. It seems the fans are the one's who created the "Brunell/Campbell solution to all our problems", not anyone in the organisation. So i don't think Gibbs will care about any pressure. Right or wrong, he's always done things his way, and that isn't about to change.

Snyder wont tell Gibbs what to do. Gibbs would just ignore him, he knows he's untouchable. It seems the fans are the one's who created the "Brunell/Campbell solution to all our problems", not anyone in the organisation. So i don't think Gibbs will care about any pressure. Right or wrong, he's always done things his way, and that isn't about to change.

I totally disagree, and you don't have any proof that Snyder doesn't advise Gibbs on certain issues. I'm sure he does. This is not a Brunell bashing thread or a thread about starting Campbell. This is about the pressure that may come from a poor performance by Brunell tomorrow. Please don't spin this in a different direction. There are other threads for that. My question is, don't you think that Gibbs will have no choice but to go with Campbell if Brunell has a poor performance? It's not just the fans either, trust me? If you were around D.C., you'd understand that it isn't just the fans.

HTTR!

Yup, this reminds me of something Florio said.....

POSTED 8:46 a.m. EDT; LAST UPDATED 9:39 a.m. EDT, October 16, 2006

CAMPBELL ERA STARTING SOON, WE THINK

Though Redskins coach Joe Gibbs has yet to suggest that starting quarterback Mark Brunell might be benched in favor of 2005 first-round draft pick Jason Campbell, we've got a feeling that the Campbell era soon will begin in D.C.

Why? Because owner Dan Snyder is impulsive, and because he just witnessed during Sunday's loss to the Titans that a young first-round quarterback can lead an NFL team to victory. Likewise, once Snyder gets a gander at the stats of Philip Rivers (who spent two years on ice) from Sunday's thrashing of the Niners (29-for-39, 344 yards, two touchdowns), the boss might be even more likely to conclude that it makes no sense to keep Campbell parked on the sidelines.

Really, there's no downside to making a switch from Mark Brunell to Jason Campbell. If the 'Skins continue to struggle on offense, at least they'll have a built-in excuse. Besides, it will leave the team better prepared for 2007, since Campbell will have gotten plenty of live reps this year.

Or, alternatively, Campbell will provide the team with the spark that it so desperately needs.

Regardless, 2-4 is unacceptable, especially in light of the sky-high expectations that were attached to this team prior to the season. Through six weeks, Snyder's squad is at the bottom of the NFC East, and looming on the schedule are games against the Colts, Cowboys, Eagles (twice), Giants, Falcons, Panthers, Saints, and Rams. Even the Bucs, whom the 'Skins face in Tampa on November 19, have shown that they can still be a force.

Though we're not suggesting that 2-14 is on the horizon barring a dramatic reversal of fortunes, there is not a single game on the Redskins' remaining slate that we can look at and fairly say, "Yeah, they'll definitely win that one."

Even if they split the final 10 games (and we think that's a tall order), the Redskins will finish 7-9.

That's not good enough to get back to the playoffs, and it's not nearly good enough for a team that has yet to advance beyond the NFC divisional playoffs in Snyder's eight seasons as the owner

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

twenty-eight,

that's sort of what I was talking about, but its not so much about the fact that "Campbell can't do any worse..." as it is the fact that I can't see the fans, the players, some of the coaches, and the front office being able to tolerate another poor Brunell performance. I believe this is his one chance to keep his job or give it away. That's just my opinion.

HTTR

Dude, you missed my point completely. I never said that there wouldn't be a change, I just said that Snyder and the fans will have no influence in it. Gibbs does what he thinks is right, when he thinks it's right.

I totally disagree, and you don't have any proof that Snyder doesn't advise Gibbs on certain issues. I'm sure he does.

You say he doesn't have any proof, yet you offer none to support you side of the story, except the words "I'm sure he does". If your so sure, show us the proof, or your point is completely unvalid.

Yes he does indeed :D

Can we take a vote on that one. Wouldn't this entire speculative idea be hilarious if the change was made to Todd Collins? That would make my blood boil.

HTTR

Well I don't give that much consideration.

Considering we won't see a change until the season is lost, and if the season is lost, then we're building for next year.

I could only see Collins come in if the season is ON THE LINE and Brunell goes down. If they pull Brunell because the season is mathematically gone, it will be Campbell.

Yes he does indeed :D

Can we take a vote on that one. Wouldn't this entire speculative idea be hilarious if the change was made to Todd Collins? That would make my blood boil.

HTTR

Well, OK I'll admit... IF he performs like he did in the Dallas game ('06)... ANYTHINGS possible.

I predict he's gonna have one of those like...10-19 performances, 160 yards and a TD...not horrid enough to bench him, not great enough to win or make an impact on the game.

I'd take that every week as long as we run the ball for 250 yards and 3 scores.

:paranoid:

:dallasuck i just don't understand what MB is doing that JC is "not ready" to do.of course i'm not a coach, so i don't know what they are seeing at practice or whatever,but throwing 2 yard screens,making bad reads,bad passes,etc..doesn't seem too hard to me for a young qb.i respect JG for being loyal to his qb,and i'm not saying JC should be put in this week,but come on now when is enough enough.i'd rather see a young qb play like crap and learn from it,then see a seasoned veteran consistantly stink up the place.i'm not saying qb is our only problem teamwise,but offensively imo it's one of the main problems.:dallasuck

Archived