Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Times Article: Portis, offense Touchy subject

Veretax

Could the O's problems be as a a result of Clinton Portis not being in the best of shape yet?

This article From the Washington Times would seem to suggest it:

Portis, offense a touchy subject

If this is true then why don't they have TJ Duckett ACtive to go in there when CP pulls himself out, I understand it takes time to come back from an injury and we need CP to last all season, but if we are losing that much on downs when he's not there then we need another bullet, why not use the TJ!

The Redskins are regularly removing Portis from the game on third down so he doesn't have to pass protect and the screen passes to running backs are centered around Ladell Betts.

Didn't think of that but it makes sense. :(

So are they saying that Duckett couldn't understand his job on a simple screen pass or to pass protect?

I think most folks would agree that they'd like to see duckett play. Hell even if they want to let him go next year, let him showcase his stuff.

Taking CP out on 3rd down packages yeah I can understand that happening, but it sounds like Saunders can't make up his mind. Maybe I'm misreading the whole thing

It seems to me that its a matter of getting comfortable with one another and Saunders is trying to find out what works best with this team and its players. It should be a no brainer however that Portis is definitely the workhorse.

We have arguably the deepest backfield in the league and yet we don't utilize half of it; that is what doesnt make sense to me.

So are they saying that Duckett couldn't understand his job on a simple screen pass or to pass protect?

I think most folks would agree that they'd like to see duckett play. Hell even if they want to let him go next year, let him showcase his stuff.

Taking CP out on 3rd down packages yeah I can understand that happening, but it sounds like Saunders can't make up his mind. Maybe I'm misreading the whole thing

I think what they are saying is that Duckett is NOT GOOD at plays that involve him receiving a screen pass or pass protecting. He is not in any way agile or nimble enough to be as effective as Betts on a screen play. No one is clamoring for Mike Sellers to get looks as the 3rd down back, and he is really not MUCH different from Duckett.

As for people wanting to see him, that just doesn't matter. He's not as good as either Portis or Betts, and Cartwright offers the team more. Hence, he's the fourth running back on the team, and I can tell you it's the rare 3rd/4th running back who sees more than a carry per game. And as for letting him showcase his stuff, why? We don't owe him a thing, and if he can't hack it he can't play.

The thing that bothers me about Duckett is how overrated he is, especially on this board. The guy is not particularly good, he just scored a lot on one yard dives in Atlanta. Actually, that's not fair, he's a good back. It just so happens that we have two that are better than him. That means it was a dumb trade, but it doesn't mean he should play over Portis or Betts. Matter of fact, we need to focus on getting PORTIS more carries, let alone TJ Duckett.

Bottom line: The only role TJ Duckett would really serve for us is short yardage back/goal-line back. This is an important role, to be sure, but there are other things we need to take care of on the active roster first. That said, I don't understand why he hasn't been in there on 3rd and one in the games he's been active for.

I know everyone, myself included, wants to see Duckett get some action. However, the way our line is playing right now, I don't see that working. If Portis is getting hit in the backfield and at the line, Duckett will get hit even farther back. If there's one drawback to Duckett, he takes a LONG DAMN TIME to get up to speed. He doesn't have a quick first step at all.

I get the sense that players on this team are just as confused about their identitiy as we are. Is it a running team? A passing team? It's as if Saunders doesn't know what's going to work, what's not going to work and he's trying to feel things out. Problem is you always hope you can do that in pre-season. This team has too many chiefs and not enough indians. It's all confusing. Just run CP 25-30 times per game and then game plan around that. It doesn't matter who we're playing or what the game plan is Portis needs that many carries.

The final quote in the article is telling.

Saunders: "It's a long season and I would anticipate him being an extremely productive player. He runs hard, he's a tough guy and goes 100 miles per hour. I would just like him to be out there more often."

I think Portis and Saunders are not on the same page right now.

The Redskins are regularly removing Portis from the game on third down so he doesn't have to pass protect and the screen passes to running backs are centered around Ladell Betts.

Didn't think of that but it makes sense. :(

i don't think that makes any sense at all. CP is our best pass blocker at RB , and he has the best hands. i don't know how this could make sense to anybody.

The final quote in the article is telling.

Saunders: "It's a long season and I would anticipate him being an extremely productive player. He runs hard, he's a tough guy and goes 100 miles per hour. I would just like him to be out there more often."

I think Portis and Saunders are not on the same page right now.

Yeah, and from reading the other quotes it seems that Portis is somewhat unhappy.

Yeah, and from reading the other quotes it seems that Portis is somewhat unhappy.

I'd be unhappy if I was in his shoes, too. We went out and spent all this money on playmakers and all they are doing is keeping him from getting the ball.

Portis isnt stupid, he knows when he gets the ball the team wins consistently.

Saunders just has to find a way to make Portis the focal point of this offense.

I think what they are saying is that Duckett is NOT GOOD at plays that involve him receiving a screen pass or pass protecting. He is not in any way agile or nimble enough to be as effective as Betts on a screen play. No one is clamoring for Mike Sellers to get looks as the 3rd down back, and he is really not MUCH different from Duckett.

As for people wanting to see him, that just doesn't matter. He's not as good as either Portis or Betts, and Cartwright offers the team more. Hence, he's the fourth running back on the team, and I can tell you it's the rare 3rd/4th running back who sees more than a carry per game. And as for letting him showcase his stuff, why? We don't owe him a thing, and if he can't hack it he can't play.

The thing that bothers me about Duckett is how overrated he is, especially on this board. The guy is not particularly good, he just scored a lot on one yard dives in Atlanta. Actually, that's not fair, he's a good back. It just so happens that we have two that are better than him. That means it was a dumb trade, but it doesn't mean he should play over Portis or Betts. Matter of fact, we need to focus on getting PORTIS more carries, let alone TJ Duckett.

Bottom line: The only role TJ Duckett would really serve for us is short yardage back/goal-line back. This is an important role, to be sure, but there are other things we need to take care of on the active roster first. That said, I don't understand why he hasn't been in there on 3rd and one in the games he's been active for.

I would take Duckett running the ball or catching a screen pass over betts anyday.. Betts is overrated. His only big games come against weak defenses. Duckett has been facing Tampa Bay and Carolina twice a year for his entire career and his numbers are pretty good. thats more than anyone can say for betts

Sorry, this one is Al Saunders's fault in it's entirety.

I don't care who you have on paper. The two offensive players that got us to the playoffs last year (by continuous high levels of performance) are:

1. Clinton Portis

2. Santana Moss

If you are bringing in a new scheme, you damn well better be able to figure out who the playmakers that participated at a high level last year (and who therefore can do so again) are, and get them as involved as possible. It is certainly clear that Mark B. is looking for both, and depends on them.

I am not advocating that the other members we picked up be thrown to the way side. They certainly can present different options and looks, and add to the existing capability the team has. Right now, they aren't adding to it, they are diluting it.

As a matter of fact, once CP has established the run (100 yards), and Satana is stretching the field, everyone else will be much more productive, no matter who they are, and add more confusion to the opposing defense.

This is no one else's fault but the person calling the offensive plays.

/Hail:helmet:

Archived