Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Post-game thread: Titans at Skins.

Art

What's there to say? 2-4 going into the bye week, with the "easy" stretch of our season over.

We really might as well gear Campbell ready for the week 9 game against Dallas. we might as well start him because playoff is out of the question. /QUOTE]

I also submit that everyone stop going to the games, buying Redskins merchandice, stop buying Snyders $7 beers. Stop supporting the team until they give us a reason to come back. Every year the Redskins are hyped and everyone says how this year will be different. Yet it is the same story year in and year out, meanwile Daniel Snyder is turning into a billionaire because people like you and I fall for it every year and continue to spend our money on a crappy product. We get Snydered every year. No more, I am going to sell my remaining tickets, and make an effort to ensure that they go to fans of the opposing team.

I am tired of all the negative comments and posts.

I am ready to move on. We do not have time to dwell on the loss we need to get the boys ready to go to Indy!

GO SKINS!!!!!!!

Bull!! If we can't a 0-5 team what makes you believe we can beat Indy? Get Real...we have questionably the worst defense in the league and we are taking on Indy. Its a blood Bath. this season is in the toilet and you know this.

Face it! We have to win every single game till the end to make the playoffs. I thought Gibbs knew what he was doing. But i admit now i am questioning him too. We are getting out coached in defense and offense.

That previous statement hurt me to my heart to say but its the truth. I watched Gibbs win the first Superbowls for the skins ever. I don't think he has another one in him...three years are up...Snyder and the rest of us are getting impatient. Its not just brunell, this new system is going to take a few years to learn at best. No more excuses. We have the best offensive weapons we have had since Earnest byner, Rypien and the posse. the game plan is what is beating us. Execution is beating us. it feels like the spurrier experiment. a Failure!!

This is my first post, and I'm a Cowboys fan, so you have two reasons to haze me. Actually, I'm not writing to start a fight at all, just some of my thoughts from seeing the Redskins in person in Dallas.

First of all, I think its unfair to blame Brunnell for everything that goes wrong. True, he's not the quarterback he once was, but he's not the worst QB in the league either. A lot of you have commented that he needs to throw deep (or more accurately, that he no longer has the ability to throw deep). From my one game observation, I can tell you that there are two problems with this theory: (1) your receivers aren't going deep and (2) he's being rushed unmercifully. Its silly to think that he can't throw the ball 50 yards.

As for Jason Campbell, my question would be "What will the Redskins do if he loses the rest of the games this season?" The truth is, unless the team starts playing better, the Redskins could be the underdog in almost all of its remaining games - with the exception of the Buccaneers, everyone else has a decent shot at making the playoffs. Worse, almost all of the teams have good defenses. He'll have exactly the same problems as Brunnell, because the offensive line will still stink, Saunders & Gibbs will be even more reluctant to let him go deep, and he won't have the experience to fall back on. Are you willing to give him another shot next year if he finishes 1-9 or 2-8, or do you call him a bust? Or do you bring in another experienced QB and let him sit another couple years?

The Redskins have some pretty good players at the skill positions, but Saunders is trying to fit them into his scheme instead of adjusting his scheme to take advantage of Portis and Moss. Unless Portis got hurt in the game, why would you run him only 14 times, especially since you had the lead for most of the game? The Titans allow 4.7 y/c and 164 y/g, both at the bottom of the NFL. Run it!

On defense, it's not fair to judge from the Cowboys game because Springs was out, but Springs is almost always injured. I know everyone likes Taylor because he hits hard, but he's way too undisciplined. Rogers needs help on every play, as will Buckley. I'm not sure whats happened to your defensive line, but its nowhere near as good as last year. You won't get a good rush without blitzing, and you'll get murdered by most of the teams left on your schedule if you blitz with any regularity.

Anyway, I'm not trying to throw gas on the fire, just trying to tell things the way they are. I feel sorry for Gibbs, because I've always felt he was a fine person. Who knows, maybe he can turn it around - but hopefully not until after the Cowboys game.

You can't "Gut and Power" when the defense cant stop anyone... Are you going to "Gut and Power" when it's 14-13in the second quarter????

This team needs an identity, but more so it needs playmakers and a leader! I can't believe we lost to the 0-5 Titans today at home!!! We could've called any play today and still would've lost because our players are followers not leaders! Gibbs said it best..

" We are waiting for SOMEONE to take charge and lead us out of this"...

Me too Joe..... Me too... :doh:

This is moronic. The whole point of gut and power is to keep the defense on the sidelines for as long as possible. To break the other team's will and put enough points on the board to compensate for a feeble defense.

It pays to have some knowledge of football before you post here.

B)All the blame can't go on Al Saunders. Everybody says go back to pounding the ball like last year. Well check the stats for last year: Larry Johnson (Chiefs) 336 carries (only started nine games) Portis 352 carries. So what I'm saying is the offense allows for running the ball. The team isn't executing.

um, what? last year's numbers mean nothing in the context of sunday's game. it wasnt a lack of execution. Portis didn't get the ball. Plain and simple. That's why they lost. Gibbs said it himself. When the other teams run more than we do, we lose.

Just look at the numbers.

The D and Brunell sucked but had we just run the damn ball we would have won. Anyone who thinks otherwise is, well, wrong.

I don't think you can run the ball "all the time" in the NFL anymore. But we can sure run the ball more than what we are doing. I remeber several times last year, where we people would say "another run gibbs" and then Portis would break out and get the first down. Which would run down the clock and give the skins a huge boost to rally around. I do think we have to run Portis more. Like maybe 2 out of every 4 downs, instead of 1 out of 3. I like betts and I like duckett but let Portis establish some run identity out there before taking him out. For that matter we can darn sure have JC in there as a QB handing off right now!

Also going five wide has worked for us, we should do it every now and then to keep people on their toes, drop it off if their is a rush or find Lloyd, Moss, or ARE if there isn't one. On that note, has anyone thought of training Patten as a CB? Or at least seeing what he could do there during practise. Can we get some better one on one coaching for that matter, Carlos Rodgers needs to learn how to play the ball! Someone lock him in a room with videos of Bailey and Green.

It seems like we are a team striving to be good at everything, and a team who relies on everyone else. The defense relies on the offense to win. The offense relies on special teams. Special teams relies on the defense, it seems to be a vicious circle.

That being said, I dont think the year is a complete write off yet, there is hope, just a glimmer. Which perhaps should have been the mentality at the offset instead of feeling like the SB was already ours and feeling a little disappointed every game we lose.

A rather disjointed and incoherent message:

Coach Gibbs is right, it’s not Brunell; this team is a mess. Is there a, such, thing as internal rebellion? I’m not saying that #21 seems to be in rebellion. Hell, there’re eye sores all over the team. Holdmen prefers to tackle a tailback up high from behind, while 3yds from the goal line and it doesn’t stop there. But I love the safety position and watch it a lot especially when we have a good one, and we have a very good one. #21 is like top 5 at that position, but he appears to be behind in coverage a lot, which is unusual. Hell, in the Texans game, he lined up right over the TE. TE runs across the end zone and catches a TD...go back and look at that TD, there first.

Then #17, NYG beats him to the corner. Yeah tough play to defend, but the film says #17 and # 80 also for NYG are go-to-receivers in the red zone. But #21 wasn't even close on #17s TD. Then the Titan's TE beats him on a post, but ball was over thrown. Oh I love #21 Redskins but it just seems strange that he's that many steps behind in pass coverage. The safety is difficult to play with play-action and all, but he just doesn't seem himself. I don’t care how good a player is they still need to be coached.

I wonder what Coach Grey thinks. Coach Grey go back and look at how #21 is covering receivers. #21 has too much talent to be that far out of the pass play. #99 had a great game that was a relief. We need to use #99 in spaces the way he was used on that sack; use him in a stunt like fashion. I don’t think he’s strong enough to throw offensive tackles around like a Kerse or Strahan, who coincidentally is somewhat built like him (Kerse is). I think Kerse is 6’ 5”, but our #99 is just not going to be throwing OTs off their block, at least not at a Super Bowl level. Sorry, just ain’t going to happen. So don’t use him like a traditional DE, because he isn’t, for all of you who have been wondering where’s he (#99) been. You might even want to look at rotating #92 with #99. Holdmen gets up there with KJ, during an interview, and rolls his eyes around like he’s in kindergarten recess. He would be my first cut. Why? He's been around about 7yrs and they run strait at him. Oh well just an observation.

And what is # 88 doing and why? Hell, if we needed a blocking TE we should have kept our previous 88. I thought #47 was our pass catching TE. We have #87 but we asked #88 to block the Giants DE week before last at NY? We need a thumper of a TE, like a Donnie Warren. Oh, I’m a Redskin fan regardless of the record, 16-0 or 0-16, but I tell you this place is in a mess. What is #36 doing and why, not his fault but we have a 3rd round draft pick off the board for that transaction and he may not even play this year and then he’s a free agent, are we going to re-sign him? Was he going to start, if #26 wasn’t able to go? Who did those analyses?

The Giants can Keep LaVar, I don’t want him back, but with the likes of a Pierce, Redskin #53, a #98 and #52 rotating with #98 and #58 (Posey) backing them up along with #50 we have a top 5 LB Corp. But right now we’re probably somewhere at 17 in rushing defense. And stop asking # 98 to cover a Toomer or an Anthony, Glenn, a speed receiver; he simply hasn’t proved that he can do that yet. # 98 is a great LB. But the middle of our secondary is wide open, because the cover two is killing us. I don’t rightly know a LB that can cover a speed demon receiver. Thanks a lot Cerrato you depleted our LB corp.

And while listening to the JR show (Yes that would be #44), they stated that Coach Gibbs is calling the plays from the opponents 35yd line on in. Saunders takes us from our own 5yd line down to their 35 and Coach Gibbs takes over, wow! Now what type system would that be conducive to, certainly not one that poses Super Bowl aspirations. Come on now that doesn't even sound right.

We got a delay of game penalty on their 31 in the waning minutes of the game, with a chance to kick a 47 yd field goal and tie the game at 25. But the opportunity never presented itself. So assign a twelfth hour man, don’t matter what you call him/her, but someone who exclusively, at the 6 minute mark watches and keeps track of our huddle management. That was a missed opportunity.

I mean it’s scary the decisions people are making in the front office. But we better get strait because the Saints and the likes of teams such as the Rams are waiting and they aint playing and I am not kidding; there’re other stops along the way that aren’t very nice places to visit either. If you’re a real Redskin fan, the only thing we can be assure of , until things change, is that next year’s training camp and will be a lot different, and pre-season too, or will it? “You know luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.” Right now we're not preparing very well, at least not for a Super Bowll run, okay not even a winning season. Last but nowhere least I would just straite cut Holdmen. But we've been here before and that may mitigate some of the pain but man it's painful!

Go Skins Win !

Well, since everyone is hellbent in the blame game, I'll throw my 2 cents: Joe Gibbs. He is 100% accountable and responsible for both offense and defense. If he decides to continue to force the issue and start MB, then MB is not the bonehead, it is coach Gibbs. There, I said it: bonehead.

What I can't understand is, with millions of dollars worth of receivers down in the end zone, why they won't put in a quarterback that could have a chance of getting the ball to them. Don't think we are getting our moneys worth. Its great to see Moss blocking to help his team, but what a waste.

Now that I have had time to Vent from that poor display of whatever it was sunday, I would like to say that the season is still not over, I know there is a tuff road ahead , but nevertheless the playoffs are still possible, ok who am I kidding we need a spark from somebody , this team has no emotions on the field what so ever. SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE. NOW!!!

:eaglesuck :gaintsuck :dallasuck

Wow, do I ever feel like an idiot! Spent over a thousand dollars to fly to DC to watch our homecoming game, and I get to see a flat football team lose to the 0-5 Titans. Snyderized again, with only myself to blame.

Q: What is the definition of insanity?

Concern #3: Our secondary apparently forgot their technique in the locker room. I can't even remember how many balls got caught behind a defender who couldn't even get his head turned around in time to see the ball! That's a mistake a JV corner makes in high school. Are you hearing me Carlos?? 3rd and long means nothing to these guys.

Concern #2: Tackling, tackling, t-a-c-k-l-i-n-g. Will somebody please get a shoulder on the ballcarrier? Hell, I'm 5'8", 170 lbs, and 42 y/o. Sign me and I'll at least TRY to put a hit on somebody, for a lot less money!

Concern #1: Al Saunders horrible playcalling. In the old days, down by 3 with 5:11 remaining, we would have run the ball, using the clock to our advantage and trying to tie it, or win it with a TD with a few seconds remaining. Now, we have an OC who goes into desperation mode with a 1 point lead, and can't consistently get the plays called on time.

A: I already know the definition of insanity. All of us as fans know it. And so does Danny.

HTTR!

Archived