Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

two strategy question about the kicking game.

desertfox59

My discussion questions are these:

1).

I'm not a fan of soccer but I've seen those kickers kick that ball at least 90 yards....

Why don't we get a kicker who can kick that football into or out of the endzone every time during the kickoff?

Wouldn't it be to our benefit for A) making the opposing team go 80 yards every time, and B) avoid any large or touchdown run backs by the opposing team?

2.)

I've seen some statistics where it shows that a field goal attempt fails more often when the kicker is "iced" yet Why don't we see "icing the kicker" take place more often?

well sometimes woudl u want to have 2 kickers on the team.

I see your point about roster spots, but than I would think that the benefits I mentioned in the original post would warrent the spot. Think about how much easier kickoff returns would be. If a kicker could do that even 90% of the time he would be worth at least 1 million a year and his own roster spot I think.

I don't know. You can see we are already thin at certain positions. Depth in other areas would seem to make up for that. Teaching proper coverage would prevent long returns. Just can't understand why you can't get one guy to do ALL the kicking and punting.

My discussion questions are these:

1).

I'm not a fan of soccer but I've seen those kickers kick that ball at least 90 yards....

Why don't we get a kicker who can kick that football into or out of the endzone every time during the kickoff?

Wouldn't it be to our benefit for A) making the opposing team go 80 yards every time, and B) avoid any large or touchdown run backs by the opposing team?

2.)

I've seen some statistics where it shows that a field goal attempt fails more often when the kicker is "iced" yet Why don't we see "icing the kicker" take place more often?

There have been many kickers that have had soccer backgrounds. The Gramattica brothers are some of those. So it's not unheard of. It would be a definite advantage to start from the 20 all day, but there would be an issue with roster spots. We had 2 kickers for a period in 2000 though. After many injuries to our kickers, a kicker named Bentliegh kicked off and veteran Eddie Murray was brought in for the FG. That was an extreme situation though with all the injuries we had, and outside of that i can't see teams having 2 kickers. The trick would be to find a soccer player that can kick straight as well i guess.

There have been many kickers that have had soccer backgrounds. The Gramattica brothers are some of those. So it's not unheard of. It would be a definite advantage to start from the 20 all day, but there would be an issue with roster spots. We had 2 kickers for a period in 2000 though. After many injuries to our kickers, a kicker named Bentliegh kicked off and veteran Eddie Murray was brought in for the FG. That was an extreme situation though with all the injuries we had, and outside of that i can't see teams having 2 kickers. The trick would be to find a soccer player that can kick straight as well i guess.

how about the distance....Not being a soccer fan I have to question weather or not those players could kick the football 90 yards....could they do that consistantely?

• 2 months later...

I have a question about icing the kicker which I hope someone can help me with.

I thought that I read a study a couple of years ago by an economist-type that said that he found that icing the kicker does not work- in fact it has an opposite effect.

Now I'm trying to find that article, I've googled it and all I can find is this http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20041113/mathtrek.asp , which supports icing the kicker.

Does anyone remember this or know how to dig this up?

I'm liking Shaun Suisham. I know that he was only in there for a couple games, and for a while I was worried because he hadn't missed any kicks but they were all like 30 yarders. Then he nailed that one that was 50 yards I believe and I was excited after that.

Being a soccer fan as well as football fan, I'm qualified to speak, I think. Also having handled a soccer ball and a rugby ball...which is similar to a football. It is much harder to kick a football than a soccer ball...trust me. Mostly because of shape but also because of size. A soccer ball is larger and thus holds more air inside... Rugby players also have a hard time kicking the ball more then 50 yards.

1. Suisham's a find. I hope we have his contract locked down. I'd hate to see us holding tryouts again.

2. If you had a guy that could always kick it out of the endzone, I believe you'd find a spot for them. Kickers started doing that consistently in the '70's. That's why they moved the kickoff team back by 10 yards. The reasons would be less wear and tear on your team through injury, automatic stopping of any chance of a touchdown going back and the whole yardage thing. He'd have a job just like the WR who's open every play, the lineman who always makes his block, the running back who can't be tackled, etc. Unfortunately, they don't exist. In college, there is no limit to the number of players you can have, yet no team has this "kick it out the endzone every time' kicker.

3. I am not a physicist but I believe the reason a soccer ball goes further is the round shape makes it more aerodynamic (unless of course, you can kick a spiral) and it can be compressed more when struck (note the kicker always trying to "soften up" the ball before kickoff.)

JMHO. :2cents:

Soccer balls also have a bit more bounce, giving a longer flight with the same kick. Many kickers have strong amateur/college soccer backgrounds.

Plus, if you're talking about the European pro soccer leagues, you'd never pay a kicker what those guys are making...

due to the skin (outside) of a soccer ball and the bladder (which is larger and can hold more air as previously mentioned), when you really connect with a soccer ball and hit it well, you can basically feel the ball bending around your foot a little bit. It's that distortion of the ball's shape that sends it far because when it distorts it absorbs more of the power being delivered. a football is harder and has a smaller bladder, which stops this from happening. plus, a football is much harder to be accurate with when kicking.

Some teams have had two kickers in recent years. Really didn't use to see that but for the exact reason you mentioned on kickoffs. Icing the kicker really is used as a last resort mostly just due to the fact that unless its the end of the game, those time outs are so valuable to have.

the best kicker in the league this year is an australian and australian kicks for the jets, australian rules footballers consistently kick the ball in excess of 50 yards, kicking a ball 90 yards without a gale blowing directly from behind you would be impossible, that kicking the ball requires two parts too it, the kicking and the chasing, it is the chasing and tackling of the catcher that needs to be addressed in my opinion. with regard to kicking for field goals and PAT's that is different story again, this is all about timing, just ask Romo sits to pee, and stopping the defence from running down the kick, again 90 yards is impossible, so the best advice i can give the skins is look at the australian football league and the national rugby league comps here in the land downunder we have good kickers who could consistently do a great job

Archived