Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why didn't we sign Darren Howard?

Slateman

Let's get this right... the Skins where concerned about money? You are kidding right?

A number of free agents decided to skip the Skins because of Danny ... and, his past!

Now look at the high paying busts we have signed...

1/ John "cry baby and poor kicker" Hall

2/ Andre "what a sucker" Carter

3/ Brandon "drop catches" Lloyd

4/ Adam "too slow" Archuletta

5/ Antwaan "what am I doing here?" Randle El

6/ TJ "invisible" Duckett

7/ Kenny "I am wrong, but they call me" Wright

8/ Derrick "too lazy" Dockery

9/ Randy "I stink" Thomas

10/ Jon "loud mouth" Jansen

11/ Chris "I am too stiff" Samuels

12/ David "I am forgotten" Patten

13/ Shawn "old man" Springs

14/ Christian "I get a paycheck for doing nothing" Fauria

15/ Jason "I wish I am rookie for life and going to be a bust" Campbell

16/ Mike "I am poor corner" Rumph

17/ Mark "over the hill certified loser" Boonell!

Need I say more!

We would have been better off holding onto the talent we release or let go ...

1/ Frank Wycheck - TE

2/ Trent Green - QB

3/ Keenan McCardell - WR

4/ Rod Gardner - WR

5/ Antonio Bryant - WR

6/ Steven Davis - RB

7/ Champ Bailey - CB

8/ Fred Smoot - CB

9/ Walt Harris - CB

10/ Rashaud Bauman - CB

11/ Lou Pettigue (sp) OL

12/ Antonio Pierce (LB)

13/ LaVar Arrington (LB)

14/ Nick Novack (Kicker)

15/ Stephan Alexander (TE)

With all of the draft choices we gave up, we missed the boat getting the right talent when we had the opportunity in the recent drafts... We would have been better off drafting talent like (and, I am not saying it would have been easy or possible - but we could have tried and been better off trading for the following)...

1/ Jay Cutler - QB

2/ Vernon Davis - TE

3/ Shawn Merriman - DE/LB (and we could have gotten him)

4/ E J Hendersen - LB

5/ Dominique Foxworth - CB

I think the Redskins thought that in Carter they had another potential C. Griffin situation... a guy that had been labeled an underachiever, had his best year a few years ago, and was being misused. I think they thought with the right tuteledge and used correctly with his measureables he would emerge and be great. Howard was more of a known quantity. Carter has the dreaded p word and is younger. Still, can work out... I hope.

5/ Antonio Bryant - WR

11/ Lou Pettigue (sp) OL

I think this is the 2nd time you have said we had Antonio Bryant. Do you know who he is? The WR from the University of Pittsburgh. Drafted by Dallas, traded to Cleveland for WR Quincy Morgan and then was signed by SF where he currently resides.

We never had "Luke Pettigout" from Notre Dame. He was drafted by the NYG and is still there.

I think the Redskins thought that in Carter they had another potential C. Griffin situation... a guy that had been labeled an underachiever, had his best year a few years ago, and was being misused. I think they thought with the right tuteledge and used correctly with his measureables he would emerge and be great. Howard was more of a known quantity. Carter has the dreaded p word and is younger. Still, can work out... I hope.

In other words, a calculated risk = gamble

I thought Rod Gardner dropped more passes than anyone. I was happy to see him go. But the draft picks I agree on. There were some signings I was excited about in the offseason, but these players just aren't doing it. I do like the addition of ARE though. I love Shawn Springs at CB, but he is getting hurt a lot and older. I think he could still make a great impact when/if he returns. If we got Vernon Davis that would've been much better than Christian. Shawne Merriman would've been ideal. We need to stop throwing those draft picks away.

Harris would have done no better than Wright this year in our system it appears.

Rashad Bauman, Stephen Alexander strike fear into the hearts of their enemies. We also should have kept Cliff Russell, Andre Lott, Todd Franz, David Terrell, Mark Wilson, etc....:doh:

and as mentioned, Antonio Bryant and Luke Pettitgoute? Plus, Lavar has really thrived and is having a pro-bowl year in New York.

Now, we didn't get Howard, we got Carter. I don't think the injury prone argument works as both have had injuries. Hindsight is all it is. I wouldn't give up on Lloyd yet though, he does get open, he just never gets thrown to.

Let's get this right... the Skins where concerned about money? You are kidding right?

A number of free agents decided to skip the Skins because of Danny ... and, his past!

Now look at the high paying busts we have signed...

1/ John "cry baby and poor kicker" Hall

2/ Andre "what a sucker" Carter

3/ Brandon "drop catches" Lloyd

4/ Adam "too slow" Archuletta

5/ Antwaan "what am I doing here?" Randle El

6/ TJ "invisible" Duckett

7/ Kenny "I am wrong, but they call me" Wright

8/ Derrick "too lazy" Dockery

9/ Randy "I stink" Thomas

10/ Jon "loud mouth" Jansen

11/ Chris "I am too stiff" Samuels

12/ David "I am forgotten" Patten

13/ Shawn "old man" Springs

14/ Christian "I get a paycheck for doing nothing" Fauria

15/ Jason "I wish I am rookie for life and going to be a bust" Campbell

16/ Mike "I am poor corner" Rumph

17/ Mark "over the hill certified loser" Boonell!

Need I say more!

We would have been better off holding onto the talent we release or let go ...

1/ Frank Wycheck - TE

2/ Trent Green - QB

3/ Keenan McCardell - WR

4/ Rod Gardner - WR

5/ Antonio Bryant - WR

6/ Steven Davis - RB

7/ Champ Bailey - CB

8/ Fred Smoot - CB

9/ Walt Harris - CB

10/ Rashaud Bauman - CB

11/ Lou Pettigue (sp) OL

12/ Antonio Pierce (LB)

13/ LaVar Arrington (LB)

14/ Nick Novack (Kicker)

15/ Stephan Alexander (TE)

With all of the draft choices we gave up, we missed the boat getting the right talent when we had the opportunity in the recent drafts... We would have been better off drafting talent like (and, I am not saying it would have been easy or possible - but we could have tried and been better off trading for the following)...

1/ Jay Cutler - QB

2/ Vernon Davis - TE

3/ Shawn Merriman - DE/LB (and we could have gotten him)

4/ E J Hendersen - LB

5/ Dominique Foxworth - CB

you're an idiot 49ers fan.

you're an idiot 49ers fan.

You are entitled to your opinion. And, I am mine.

Personally, I think your a "jackass" and an idiot with no sense of reality.:applause:

What makes you think I am a SF 49er fan? Just because I live here now, doesn't mean I did not and still have ties in the DC/Maryland area.

FYI ... I spent a considerable amount of time residing in DC.

Do you know where the Bayou is? I used to play with my band there on a regular basis!

I think this is the 2nd time you have said we had Antonio Bryant. Do you know who he is? The WR from the University of Pittsburgh. Drafted by Dallas, traded to Cleveland for WR Quincy Morgan and then was signed by SF where he currently resides.

We never had "Luke Pettigout" from Notre Dame. He was drafted by the NYG and is still there.

Perhaps I got the name(s) wrong.

There was an OL we got from NJ Jets ... Lou or Luke who we let go.

I may have mistaken Antonio Bryant with Antonio Brown ... But, there was a promising speedster by the name of Antonio we signed ... played one game and was released.

Sorry for the confusion.

This is a sore subject with me. I truly think the Redskins have gone about this the wrong way. Very wrong.

It seems pretty easy, really. Howard has always been able to get pressure on the QB, something we've needed badly for a long time. When he came into the NFL he had 11 sacks as a rookie. He's had decent sack totals every year except last year when he didn't play a lot. He's always been solid against the run. He just is a good player and has a knack for rushing the QB.

With Howard you don't have to make excuses. You don't have to say he was being played out of position or that the team around him sucked (even though it did). Nope. You just look at what he's done and think, "He's a good player." He was franchised two years in a row and only let go by the Saints because they had two really good DE's who they wanted to keep and couldn't pay big bucks to three DE's. Do you think the 49'ers would ever pay franchise DE money to Carter? :laugh:

With Andre Carter, you look at what he's done in his career and he has just never impressed very much. He's had one of the best tackles in football next to him (Bryant Young) taking attention away from him and he still couldn't really make an impact. You have San Francisco who desperately needs good players... and they're just letting Carter go in his prime. That should tell you a lot about Carter's worth. Teams don't let good players go. Especially bad teams like the 49'ers. Nope... They just knew that he isn't a good player. "Looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane", fits perfectly for Carter.

Seriously, I know that I'm not an NFL personnel guy and don't know as much as they do. However, I could have looked at Andre's career and Howard's career and instantly know who would help this team more. Instanly. Now, that doesn't mean that we could've signed Howard. For all we know he had his mind on going to Philly and wouldn't have come to DC. We could have tried to get him though. And no matter what Howard did... we could have not given HUGE money to a below average DE who looks good in shorts like Carter. That was a boneheaded move and I knew it the moment we signed him. Such a waste of cap dollars. A waste of money on a team that has needs all over the place.

Look. We have made some decent moves in free agency:

*Letting Arrington go was darn near brilliant.

*Trading Coles for Moss turned out better than anyone could've hoped... really for both teams.

*Getting Springs has worked up until this season.

However, many of out personnel moves have been crippling:

*When it was time to pay either Arrington or Champ, choosing Lavar was truly boneheaded. 4-3 OLB's are a dime a dozen and shutdown corners are a rare beast. Yes, Champ was unhappy. Yes he would've been happy had we paid him.

*Trading Champ Bailey and a second for Portis. Yes Portis is good, but we could've gotten a good back in any number of ways and a second thrown in was idiocy.

*Hitching the future of the QB position to Brunell by trading for him and overpaying in doing so. I don't need to tell you how bad he's been.

*Saying we couldn't pay Smoot more than Springs. That was either a lie, and we just didn't have the money to pay him, or we truly didn't want to pay him more than Shawn. Likely, we just didn't have the money. To think we wouldn't pay him more than Springs is crazy. All teams have lesser players making more because their contract just came up. Its the nature of free agency and keeping your own good players. Because we didn't keep Smoot, we were over a barrel in the draft and had to take Carlos Rogers when we had a huge need at rush DE and Merriman and Demarcus Ware were both sitting there.

*Letting Pierce go. We should've found a way to keep a player with his skills and intangibles. If we simply didn't have the money then we got what we deserved for all of the stupid cap decisions we've made.

*Taking an average corner with the 9th overall pick of the draft. We've needed a rush DE for ever now and both Shawne Merriman and Demarcus Ware were there for us to take. Either one would be tearing it up in Carter's place and we wouldn't have had to sign Andre for all that money. They'd be playing for much less money than Carter and would be producing much, much more.

*Letting Ryan Clark walk. He was a cheap, good player who did his job and never wanted the spotlight. Sign him and we never make the mistake of taking the Rams castoffs.

*Trading for Lloyd. Again, a crappy team doesn't want him there. What does that tell you? Athletic ability doesn't equal production. Just ask Andre Carter.

*Signing Adam Archuleta. He's horrible and he's costing us an arm and a leg. I hate to sound like a broken record, but if a crappy team doesn't want him... why would we? Its amazing that we can't find money to sign Smoot and Pierce but we can break the bank for Archuleta and Carter.

*Signing Carter. He's horrible and he's costing us an arm and a leg.

*Signing Randal El. Yes he's a decent player, but again, we over paid. Big time.

*Signing Wright. He's terrible and you could see that from when he got benched in Jacksonville. Signing a player who got benched and counting on them just isn't very smart.

*Trading for Duckett. That may be the worst of all of them. Really stupid and I don't have to go over the reasons why. We all know why.

I'm sure that I'm missing a lot but these are the ones that come immediately to mind. By keeping Champ (instead of Lavar) and the second round pick (that we could've used on a RB) we could have had a lot more money. We would have Champ and a second round RB instead of Lavar and Porti$. The money we spent on Porti$ could've been spent on keeping Smoot and Pierce. Since we had Champ, we wouldn't have had to sign Springs, saving more money. With Champ and Smoot at CB we wouldn't have had to draft Rogers and could've had Merriman or Ware. With either of those DE's we wouldn't have had to sign Carter who is a huge waste of money.

Ahhhh... you could go on and on like that. What's done is done. I just hope that someone can look at what we've done just like we are and see where the mistakes have been made, avoiding them in the future. The concepts are pretty simple really:

1. Most likely you won't get a superstar by taking a player another team is wanting to get rid of (see Lloyd, Carter, Archuleta, etc). Particularly if that team is a bad team.

2. CB's are worth more than LB's and RB's. Spend the money in the right spots.

3. DE's are worth more than LB's and RB's.

4. When you have a good player on your team, don't let them walk to another team just so you can spend big on other team's castoffs.

5. Draft picks are typically cheaper than free agents, and you have a chance at getting a superstar, while you don't when taking other team's castoffs.

6. Please, please look at what they've done on their former teams and realize that's probably what they'll do in Washington. (See Carter, Arch, Lloyd, Wright, etc). Yes, you might get an occasional Moss... but almost always you'll get a Kenny Wright... a player who was benched for poor play.

7. Draft picks are important.

8. Don't trade for players in the final year of their contract and then refuse to use them. It is throwing away draft picks.

9. Make more trades like the Rumph trade. Get rid of players who aren't doing anything and at least try to get something for them.

If we can see these things, I hope the Redskins can too and learn from them.

Archived