Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rumph Should Take Prioleau's Role

method man

I feel Pierson was a huge loss to our team but we have 2 or 3 players capable of taking his place. The prime candidate is Rumph. Why the hell are we not subbing out Archuleta and using Rumph as the SS on passing downs? He was, after all, a safety in San Fran. Ade showed last season that he is capable of covering no. 3 receivers so that would be taken care of.

I feel Pierson was a huge loss to our team but we have 2 or 3 players capable of taking his place. The prime candidate is Rumph. Why the hell are we not subbing out Archuleta and using Rumph as the SS on passing downs? He was, after all, a safety in San Fran. Ade showed last season that he is capable of covering no. 3 receivers so that would be taken care of.

Because he comes from a horrible team and was not the best DB on his team which had problems with its DB's.

Maybe when Springs is back -

but I'd rather see Archuletta stay in on passing downs, but used to cover short stuff - routes that would normally be linebacker coverage. He may not be a great cover safety, but he's better than washington and holdman in coverage....

I'm pretty sure that Rumph is already being used in that capacity.

Very Right you are! On a 3rd and long when distance dictates a pass Archuleta either comes off the field and is subbed for Rumph and we bring either Burns or Fox in as the other nickel back or we leave Burns or Fox off the field and leave Archuleta in usually still around the LOS somewhere in the short flat either after a TE or a running back...You won't see much or Arch in deep 1/3s the rest of the year hopefully!

I agree that Prioleau was a big loss for us. Not mentioned yet in this thread was that he was also a special teams maven.

I think that we misjudged talent in a lot of players we acquired this past offseason for our defensive secondary, Kenny Wright being the most prominent. Rumph I don't include in that because we were just trying to get anything for Taylor Jacobs on the eve of the season, and Rumph is no better or worse now than he was in SF. But we're very thin in terms of people who really can be trusted with any form of coverage responsibility.

Hell, we're dropping seven guys - sometimes eight guys! - back into coverage and still getting beaten for deep pass plays!

Very Right you are! On a 3rd and long when distance dictates a pass Archuleta either comes off the field and is subbed for Rumph and we bring either Burns or Fox in as the other nickel back or we leave Burns or Fox off the field and leave Archuleta in usually still around the LOS somewhere in the short flat either after a TE or a running back...You won't see much or Arch in deep 1/3s the rest of the year hopefully!

yea - I have seen Burns on the field quite a bit the last few games.

Rumpf is still being used as a nickel corner and not a SS. I agree that we should sit Archuleta and use Rumpf in that capacity. That is where he was headed in San Fran before we signed him. This would also free Taylor to be used in the blitz more often as Rumpf can cover better than most pure safeties and certainly better than AA.

I was also wondering why we dont seem to do this more often on passing downs. Take out Archuleta(or put him close to the line) and put Rumph at S with Taylor. I think one reason is because we NEED to have Rumph as our 3rd corner because we have no one behind him. I also dont understand why they dont ever play Jimoh but they do play Doughty and Burns(who sucks!).

I think on Nickel packages they should have Rogers, Wright and Jimoh on CB, Rumph and Taylor at S, Marshall and Washington at LB and Carter, Evans, Griffin and Daniels at DL. That seems like a pretty good unit especially when Springs come back.

I want to see more of doughty, he isnt the best safety but he always goes all out effort wise, those are the type of players that make the overall energy of a team go up, you never know what players who dont get many oppurtunties might surprise some people

I agree with you.

I want to see more of doughty, he isnt the best safety but he always goes all out effort wise, those are the type of players that make the overall energy of a team go up, you never know what players who dont get many oppurtunties might surprise some people

Doughty is the epitome of the word "scrub." He should not be seen anywhere near the field except maybe special teams. I remember during the draft screaming for us to take Antoine Bethea, who is now starting for the Colts. How the hell can a 4.90 40 for a safety translate into "good game speed." Did we not cut Ifey a couple seasons ago because he was not fast enough to play safety in G Williams's D? I think a huge problem with our secondary is that we have too many pure special teamers (Fox, Doughty, and, maybe, Jimoh) on it.

Finally a thread that isn't completely negative or calling for Rumph's head on a stick. I don't think it's a bad idea at all. Hell, I bet Rumph could even pick off a few passes as a safety because he'd have extra time to make a break on the ball. Something our current safties know nothing about. When was the last time Taylor picked off a pass that wasn't tipped? I can only remember the Chicago game several years ago.

Archived