Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How badly are we missing Springs?

desertdrummer90

Exactly how bad are we missing Shawn Springs not being in there? Do you think once he comes back in the lineup the defense will be back into shape? How can one player make or brake that defense like him. I really think DB should be a concern for the offseason. Period.

But I'm still very optomistic. I think no team in the NFC will be over 10-5 this year. We could sqeak into the post-season, but missing Springs too much longer could kill us..for good.

(sigh)

When Springs (or should i say if) comes back, do you think he's going to be as good as when he left? He hasn't played a game in how long? There's a lot of factors to take into consideration....remembering assignments, endurance etc. ONE MAN DOES NOT MAKE A DEFENSE. Springs has been burned as a corner just like everybody else....I mean he's a great corner but everyone is making him sound like he's Champ Bailey or something.

I'm missing him solely for the fact for those who think he will produce such a big turn around...once he comes back and its still the same then we can get off of him and get to the real problems...the majority of people will continue to hold the "we need springs" back argument until its proven wrong when he suits up...

You shouldn't understate the value of "one player" even if it does appear as if this defense is 3-4 guys short of good. The fact is, Shawn Springs can reliably prevent deep threats from guys on the field. Once he swats down a few third and longs, opposing QBs and O-cordinators will see the writing on the wall and stop throwing his way.

Admittedly we don't know how a guy will recover from groin-abdomen surgery, but he can't be any worse than Wright or Rumph (or Rogers for that matter).

Merely his presence on the field allows Gregg Williams to blitz more, as he can afford to leave Springs without safety help.

Does that fix our D-Line? Linebackers? No. But it goes a long way towards making this a more complete defense. We will improve with Springs, of that there is no doubt. It's a question of degree. With the inconsistent play of our offense, it isn't clear that anything short of a drastic improvement will guide us to the playoffs.

If anybody Gregg Williams included thinks inserting Springs will turn this defense into a top unit they are on drugs.

How about we are missing Springs,Harris,Clark,Preilou,Stoudmire too much change these guys were not stars but they were solid parts of our defense.

Our defense was not broken so why did we overhaul? We should have built on our strength that WAS defense.

I think the fundamental problem is Springs' absence, in combination with the rest of the CB's mediocrity in coverage. This is the worst defense the 'Skins have fielded in their three years under Williams. It's also the defense that has blitzed the least, and that's not a coincidence. Without Springs they can't blitz, and without the blitz they won't consistently get pressure from their front four. The result? Guys like Archuleta, who was signed IMHO to do a lot of blitzing and playing insde the box now has to be used more in coverage, which is the weakest part of his game. Marcus Washington, another LB they love to bring on blitzes, has been invisible for two straight games now and frankly I can't remember the last time he blitzed.

What is surprising and disappointing for me has been the poor play of Carlos Rogers. He looks worse this year than he did at the end of the season last year (before he was injured) when I thought he was actually outplaying Springs in coverage. He's no better in coverage right now than are Wright and Rumph, and I detect no attempt by opposing offenses to throw away from him, and why should they?

Personally, I think Williams has to call his game more often the way his defense is designed to be called and let the chips fall where they may. If Mike Rumph or Kenny Wright or Rogers get beat, then so be it. But this offense is geared to run downhill at the offensive backfield, and isn't quite sure what to do if it can't do that. I never thought I'd say this after watching him last year, but I sure do miss Walt Harris right about now.

The only part of the D I missed yesterday was the blitz. We beat up on Jax when we played them, which I believe is the main reason we beat them so badly (yes I know we only won in overtime, but we dominated the game I feel).

I think the fundamental problem is Springs' absence, in combination with the rest of the CB's mediocrity in coverage. This is the worst defense the 'Skins have fielded in their three years under Williams. It's also the defense that has blitzed the least, and that's not a coincidence. Without Springs they can't blitz, and without the blitz they won't consistently get pressure from their front four. The result? Guys like Archuleta, who was signed IMHO to do a lot of blitzing and playing insde the box now has to be used more in coverage, which is the weakest part of his game. Marcus Washington, another LB they love to bring on blitzes, has been invisible for two straight games now and frankly I can't remember the last time he blitzed.

What is surprising and disappointing for me has been the poor play of Carlos Rogers. He looks worse this year than he did at the end of the season last year (before he was injured) when I thought he was actually outplaying Springs in coverage. He's no better in coverage right now than are Wright and Rumph, and I detect no attempt by opposing offenses to throw away from him, and why should they?

Personally, I think Williams has to call his game more often the way his defense is designed to be called and let the chips fall where they may. If Mike Rumph or Kenny Wright or Rogers get beat, then so be it. But this offense is geared to run downhill at the offensive backfield, and isn't quite sure what to do if it can't do that. I never thought I'd say this after watching him last year, but I sure do miss Walt Harris right about now.

Marcus has been used a lot in blitzing, but he wasn't much (if at all) against the Gints. He was used frequently in the blitz against Jax. We are depleted in the secondary, and Prioleau was as huge of a loss as Springs. When you've got Wright and Rumph starting on defense, its a miracle we're not last in the league in pass defense....wait we're 26th in the league there. Yes we miss Springs and Prioleau very very very very badly. Nothing we can do but tell these guys that they better get it together or they're gone. Walt Harris? Seriously? Rogers is a 2nd year player, and would never had to of shouldered the burden of covering top WR's in this league alone. Williams is handcuffed right now, and I think it shows. Wait until the Colts game, if we can't get it together in the next two weeks, we're gonna get torched. I predict a 40 point performance by the Colts if we aren't able to control the clock on Offense. This D better do some soul searching, and I guess we all figured out that Sean Taylor can't play 3 guys at one time.

HTTR!

For all of ya'll who think Springs comming back won't affect the way our defence operates, pls gimme what your are smoking now!.

Having Springs back is huge..not only can we play our CB's on an island or forget a half of the field, we can roll coverages to the other side of the field and help our Carlos or our nickle cb's.

This will also also ST to roam the middle and not worry about the sidelines too much and allow AA to play closer to the line of scrimmage. Springs is also a sure tackler and having him back will be huge. I think best case for us is to let him sit and to come back in 1 month against the cowboys after the bye. thats 4 more week, only 2 games. We should be the Titans at home but will propably lose against Payton and the Colts. Having him back against TO nd the cowboys would be a huge boost for us. if we can come into the bye 4-3, that would be very good for us and would tie us after 7 games last yr.

Spring is HUGE for our defence. He changes our schemes, the way our coverages rolls in certain situations, and allows our safeties to play to their strengths!

At this point, I don't think you can point to just one player for our defensive woes. Our D-Line has to be one of the slowest and oldest in the league. Outside of Marcus Washington, our Linebackers are average to below average. Our secondary only has one star and thats Taylor. The rest of the secondary is could easily be backups on any other team.

If anybody Gregg Williams included thinks inserting Springs will turn this defense into a top unit they are on drugs.

How about we are missing Springs,Harris,Clark,Preilou,Stoudmire too much change these guys were not stars but they were solid parts of our defense.

Our defense was not broken so why did we overhaul? We should have built on our strength that WAS defense.

I agree with this. Too much overhaul in the secondary. Clark and Stoudmire were solid if not unspectacular. Could live without Harris. Preliou was a big loss.

Some of the problems with getting beat deep are ST cannot cover both sides of the field and whenever I see AA he is at the Line instead of in the backfield.

The Skins are missing Springs and Prioleau. Those are two of the better coverage players on the team, and it is showing...but this is where the coaches are supposed to coach up the players...lets hope Williams and crew can earn their paychecks, because the D's play is disheartening thus far...

Archived