Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's the Front Office--Stupid (or lack thereof)

skins4eva

I agree with you here at least with regard to your point. I'm not embarrased, but I am definately upset about that decision. I see it the way you do.

On the other hand, your rant about Lemar Marshall, the D-line, and Carlos Rogers is a little off. Actually Lemar had Pro Bowl numbers last year and he and Washington should have gone or at least been alternates (Washington may have been an alternate). Marshall is quite good, and I've seen him have to compensate for Holdman's missed assignments in coverage. Your wrong about him.

Secondly, If you've listened to GW speak about his philosophy then you understand that the D-line and Secondary work hand in hand in pass defense. We aren't getting pressure with 4, but I don't know of anyone that is getting pressure with just four consistently other than the Bears and maybe the Ravens. So, It falls on the secondary in my eyes with regard to our team. I've seen us get a lot of pressure and hurries but the secondary is still out of position. Its not just one guy, its the whole secondary. They have no confidence and they aren't playing/communicating well. Actually, they just aren't playing together.

We're literally this [] close from putting it together on defense. Its a big play here and a big play there, but if we can stop that from happening EVERY game, we'll be a lot better off. Rogers is being asked to do too much in his second year. Williams knows it, I know it, and you ought to know it. Your analysis of Rogers' skills is completely wrong. He is very fast, can jump well, tackles well, and gets his hips turned fairly quick. Remember, this is only his second year. He's great in the run game, so I don't know what you are talking about there. If anything, that's one of his biggest strengths. The one thing that drives me nuts about him are his hands. He's got bricks for hands, and I think that he is just not confident yet. If he gets confident in his abilities, I think he'll be a top notch corner in this league.

Thought I'd chime in ;)

HTTR!

Good post :cheers: I may have been a little harsh on Marshall--he did have an excellent season last year. Rogers--jury is still out. Way out. The game needs to slow down for Rogers--once that happens, he could be better.

The secondary is definitely playing the poorest, but with the amount of time QB's have to throw, it almost doesn't matter.

"I cannot remember exactly but where were you on -

Bailey & Bell for Portis & Springs

Moss for Coles

Gibbs for Spurrier

Ramsey for Brunell - though i can guess that last one."

I don't think you get it. It's about a purposeful policy - a concept of operations - that builds a team over the course of several years. Individual moves can have pluses and minuses...but do they add up toward a consistent end? Personnle moves on this team have, for a long time, looked more like "which hole in the dike do we place our fingers in next?"

Good post...this is the problem with the Organization..The plan changes every yr...sometimes mid-yr. Draft Campbell but never use him...draft ramsey and never give him a chance...sign trotter and use him the wrong way...sign andre carter because he had 12 sacks in 2002...what the hell are they thinking sometimes

Are you kidding me kid?

There is no such thing as a big game in week 4. My god I can't believe you even said that.

boy how quickly people forget. Brunell won a whole bunch of them at the end of last year.

do people forget that the Redskins FRANCHISE has been to the playoffs a grand total of 2 times SINCE GIbbs retired.....and 1 of them WAS directed by Gibbs!

• 2 weeks later...

2 biggest games they played in perhaps a decade....cowboys and giants when it mattered the most - his play.

Really?

Yup, Brunell sure did lead us in the Cowboy game as he was throwing dump offs to Sellers and Cooley. A screen to Moss and one deep one that was poorly thrown but Moss made yet another great adjustment and dove for it.

In the Giants game, Brunell was awful. He yet again threw a supersmart screen to Moss who turned it into a TD. Threw a awful pick 6 and then had a wide open Santana Moss who he promptly underthrew and threw to the wrong shoulder, luckily Moss adjusted to the throw and Will Allen was completely lost so it still resulted in a TD.

Again try looking beyond the cosmetic (stats) and watch what's happening on the field. Brunell was along for the ride during our winning streak and then became a serious liability in the Eagles game, the Bucs game and the Seahawks game.

Best thread in ages. Finally someone on here speaks up and tells it like it is.

Ever since Snyder took over the team, we have not had a competent GM.

Certainly Gibbs gets some of the blame but he wasn't the personnel guy during his intial time here....he had Beatherd & Casserly. Truly the blame falls on Snyder for not surrounding Gibbs with some competent football decision makers.

Gibbs is out of his element as a GM. It's been proven that wearing two hats as a GM & head coach is generally determental to the organization. Right now Gibbs the personnel guy has been sabotaging Gibbs the head coach.

Having Vinny Cerrato around giving his posionous opinions (the football version of cyanide) only makes matters worse.

The Duckett trade is becoming a 1000lb gorilla that's gets worse by the week, I'm sitting here watching the Denver Broncos play just praying that they lose (and that they'll continue to lose so we don't end up swaping 1st round picks).

And the Brunell situation is a joke...the guy has been washed up for 3 years now. Yet Gibbs still continues to march him out there like Brunell is on the verge of turning things around...it's been nearly two and a half seasons already! Give it up and lets take a look at the QB which we payed so dearly for (far too much IMO).

Great post, Skins4eva and Dat2U! Dat2U, you hit the nail on the head when you said Gibbs the personnel guy is sabotaging Gibbs the head coach. Gibbs the personnel guy is too proud to admit he's made mistakes and Gibbs the head coach is suffering because of it. Gibbs the head coach needs to say screw Gibbs the personnel guy and play the people that gives his team the best chance of winning. I'm not trying to be witty or funny...I'm dead serious!!!

I don't think it's a valid point at all unless people feel that skins4eva came to the conclusions he laid out in the beginning of this thread Sunday night after a defeat.

I don't doubt for a second that he (and many others) felt the same way about the situation with this team after the Jacksonville game. But why post something like that after a win, especially when you know the majority response you'll get is negative and people will dismiss it too quickly and call you brillant things like "fair weather fan" and other such mindless drivel.

I think sometimes just the opposite happens and I'm guilty of it too. After a win, it's very easy to brush aside the potential long term problems with this team and just enjoy the moment.[/QUOTE]

Wisdom says keep your mouth shut after a win regardless of the obvious flaws. If not, you will definitely be called a fair-weather fan. I love the Redskins with all my heart, but I am also a realist. I have disliked a number of personnel moves in the Gibbs II era and it started right off the bat with Brunell. But wisdom says don't express how you really feel, because people here will hate you for it. That's why I love skins4eva. I don't have to express how I really feel because he does it for me...and I'm sure he speaks for many others.

Exactly...we're all giving everyone a free pass...we've given Gibbs a free pass, and understandably so, but in year 3, it's time to start holding people accountable for the personnel and lack of continuity on this team.

BINGO!!!!!.....the key word here is "accountable" and that means Gibbs as well..........

• 3 weeks later...

I always hear the coaches talking about "accountability."

But there is none. There sure as hell isn't any as far as us fans are concerned.

It's time we either see the naked photos Vinny has of Snyder, or they fire him.

Did Snyder get where he is in the business world by hiring buffoons who consistently make stupid decisions?

We need a strong GM who can tell the coaches NO!!!!

"Gregg, my scouts are out there, I've watched all the tape, and I don't think Archuletta can cover anyone, so I'm not signing him. I'll give you Ryan Clark, it's your job to get him to play well."

"Gregg, Andre Carter is either a finesse defensive end who gets mauled or the slowest linebacker in the league. I'm sticking with Wynn and Evans, and we may draft an end, but I'm not signing Carter."

"Al, Brandon Lloyd is a slightly above average receiver. He doesn't do anything James Thrash and David Patten can't do. There's no way im trading two picks for him. We may use one of those picks on a wideout, but no guarantees."

Instead, we have Vinny. $30 million for a safety who can't cover? $30 million for a punt returner? $30 million for a turnstile at defensive end? A 3rd rounder for a 3rd string tailback? You want to trade for players from the worst teams in the league? Sure thing! Let me get Dan's check book . . .

Instead, we have Vinny. $30 million for a safety who can't cover? $30 million for a punt returner? $30 million for a turnstile at defensive end? A 3rd rounder for a 3rd string tailback? You want to trade for players from the worst teams in the league? Sure thing! Let me get Dan's check book . . .

Gibbs is team President. It his job to make those decsions not Vinny. Vinny is a figure head.

I know. Gibbs needs to get out of his comfort zone and hire a GM with real authority. There are enough "figureheads" in Ashburn as it is.

There is no way in hell, with all of his obligations, that Gibbs sees enough tape, interviews enough guys, sees enough games from around the league, to be making these decisions.

When I said a GM who can tell the coaches no, I include Gibbs in that.

However, I am assuming it was actually Gregg and Al requesting all the new players.

So yeah, Gibbs gets a lot of blame. To his credit, he seems to be the only one stepping up and taking it.

I always hear the coaches talking about "accountability."But there is none. There sure as hell isn't any as far as us fans are concerned.

It's time we either see the naked photos Vinny has of Snyder, or they fire him.

Did Snyder get where he is in the business world by hiring buffoons who consistently make stupid decisions?

We need a strong GM who can tell the coaches NO!!!!

"Gregg, my scouts are out there, I've watched all the tape, and I don't think Archuletta can cover anyone, so I'm not signing him. I'll give you Ryan Clark, it's your job to get him to play well."

"Gregg, Andre Carter is either a finesse defensive end who gets mauled or the slowest linebacker in the league. I'm sticking with Wynn and Evans, and we may draft an end, but I'm not signing Carter."

"Al, Brandon Lloyd is a slightly above average receiver. He doesn't do anything James Thrash and David Patten can't do. There's no way im trading two picks for him. We may use one of those picks on a wideout, but no guarantees."

You are dead on right. But Dan Snyder will not allow it. Unless Gibbs demands it. Gibbs is the only person in the world that will be able to influence Snyder to finally employ a real GM, whose opinion will differ from the win now / overspend on free agency philosophy. Only Gibbs can make this happen. Will he do it? I think he just may.... I saw something different from him in the press conference yesterday, I think he is waking up to the real situation. We can only hope.

Wisdom says keep your mouth shut after a win regardless of the obvious flaws. If not, you will definitely be called a fair-weather fan. I love the Redskins with all my heart, but I am also a realist. I have disliked a number of personnel moves in the Gibbs II era and it started right off the bat with Brunell. But wisdom says don't express how you really feel, because people here will hate you for it.

"people will hate you for it." "you will be called a fair-weather fan." WTF? Stop being a *****.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived