Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shameless Promotion: Check out my band on myspace

Ignatius J.

Sit and Remember has a sort of Soul Asylum, 90's rock sound. I'd like something a little more in one direction or another (i.e., harder, softer, more melodic, etc.).

SF has a uber-Sublime sound. I like it, but it sounds a little too derivative of Sublime.

City-Lights is psuedo-Offspring.

LSD has a good start but the lyrics aren't great (Missing the forest for the trees is a little too cliche, imo).

Overall, I'd suggest unifying the sound of the band a little more so that you guys define what makes you a good band. The musicianship is there, now it's about discovering your voice and your sound.

Thanks for sharing Iggy. :)

I can definately see what you mean by a lack of direction. Hopefully as we play together longer we'll find more of our own voice. I'd say that ecclecticism isn't bad in and of itself, but as you point out derivative ecclecticism is.

A friend of the guitarist is a music production major at UC davis. We recorded the drums in his garage, and the guitar in his living room. The area was lo-tech, but the equipment was first rate.

I can definately see what you mean by a lack of direction. Hopefully as we play together longer we'll find more of our own voice. I'd say that ecclecticism isn't bad in and of itself, but as you point out derivative ecclecticism is.

Ecclecticism is great. No one wants to hear 8 different versions of the same basic song rehashed in slightly different ways. The key, and difficulty, is tying together your sound in such a way that you hear YOU through the whole enterprise and set list notwithstanding the variety of genres, instrumentation, etc. Once you get that, you guys will be really good.

There's no question about musical ability, as it was definitely impressive.

Sit and Remember - the first impression was 'this is over-compressed'. Nothing sticks out as defining you from any other band out there. Lost interest 1/3 way through.

SF - Between the intro and the first verse, you go from a straight back-beat into a reggae kind of rhythm. The drums stay on the backbeat when the guitar first starts the other rhythm, so to me the transstion sounds ragged....I would try introducing the reggae rhythm in the drums before the guitar picks it up.....might work better, might not, but as it is it seems out of sync.

City Lights - kinda interesting in the beginning, not bad.....but again, nothing to differentiate between all that has gone before and now.

Keep working...the band needs to find a group identity.....

SF - Between the intro and the first verse, you go from a straight back-beat into a reggae kind of rhythm. The drums stay on the backbeat when the guitar first starts the other rhythm, so to me the transstion sounds ragged....I would try introducing the reggae rhythm in the drums before the guitar picks it up.....might work better, might not, but as it is it seems out of sync.

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. The drums are basically the same beat from entrance to chorus. Are you saying the beat should change?

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. The drums are basically the same beat from entrance to chorus. Are you saying the beat should change?

Yea, I'm usually one to find hiccups in the drummer's beat...and even though there seemed to be a slight inconsistancy here and there, it didn't stick out as much as other things i've heard.

Anyways, you guys seem to have some chemistry with each other, but really don't have any sound makes you stand out (and the ultimate goal *is* to go somewhere with this, right?).

Hey Guys, so like a few other posters, I'm in a band, and well, I'd like to hear some comments. I just joined this group after they kicked out thier last drummer, so after about two months we spent a weekend at a freind's place making a few tracks.

Thanks!

http://www.myspace.com/freerobg

IJ,

I couldn't really here the music, too busy looking at the girls on your website.

I know who I'm hangin with the next time I go to LA :laugh:

Archived