Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Motorcycle Accident I witnessed today

Mickalino

I was on my way to work in the left lane, and in the right lane was a motorcycle, and he decided to pass the car in front of him, so he moves into my lane in front of me - meanwhile the traffic light in front of us is about to turn red - but there is a car in front of him - which he apparently assumed was going to run the red light, because he maintained his speed. But the car suddenly decides to stop for the light - meanwhile he has to slam on his bike's breaks so hard that I see a thick pillar of smoke burning from the rubber on his tires.

He is about to slam in front of the car in front of him and he tries to swerve, but he slides diagonally, then clips the left rear corner of the car and skids into the middle of the intersection as the bike turns over and he lands on his side. He was luckily able to walk away from this. But it's changed the way I see motorcycles.

I was actually dabbling with the idea of getting a motorcycle until this. The dude was only going about 35 and I think he had about 40 feet to stop, but still the bike couldnt manage to stop. We all know the obvious dangers of motorcycles, but is this typical for bikes have such poor handling when it comes to slamming the brakes on such a low speed ?

Mick I used to ride when I lived in Ohio, moved to Orlando 3 1/2 years ago and after spending a few days on the roads around here sold my bike. People in Florida who drive cars have no respect for bikes let alone the damage you can do yourself doing something stupid.

Yep, people are not watching for bikes most of the time.

This case ,however is likely just the rider being stupid and assuming the car would not stop....theres idiots on both ends.

If properly trained, this motorcyclist should've been able to stop faster than the car in front of him. Most riders fear using the front brake, which is 80% of the stopping power, causing them to skid the back tire. He could have made it between the cars and through the light had he "white lined" which is legal in CA. But the gene pool here is weak and Darwin rules. sad but non- the-less entertaining.

I have to agree with Dean on this. Easily half of the people on bikes have little to no training. God knows how often I have to stop in a short distance from speeds of anywhere over 30 because of stupid people that shouldn't even be on the road to begin with. I dont even have duel front brakes to give me more stopping power that many bikes have, or anti-lock like most of the BMW's. If you know what your doing, the bike will stop when you need it to the most.

Aren't you riding a scooter Mick ?

I have to agree with Dean on this. Easily half of the people on bikes have little to no training. God knows how often I have to stop in a short distance from speeds of anywhere over 30 because of stupid people that shouldn't even be on the road to begin with. I dont even have duel front brakes to give me more stopping power that many bikes have, or anti-lock like most of the BMW's. If you know what your doing, the bike will stop when you need it to the most.

If properly trained, this motorcyclist should've been able to stop faster than the car in front of him. Most riders fear using the front brake, which is 80% of the stopping power, causing them to skid the back tire. He could have made it between the cars and through the light had he "white lined" which is legal in CA. But the gene pool here is weak and Darwin rules. sad but non- the-less entertaining.

You pretty much said it all Dean. When I got my first bike, I burned the rear brake pads in the first few months because I was riding the rear brakes so much.

Yea, but there's a problem with a title. I bought it from a friend that I trusted and it's still in the name of the person he bought it from, so he has to send a certified letter to them in California, and give them a chance to respond before I can get it in my name and ride it, it's a mess. But anyway, I've been thinking about graduating to a motorcycle.

Archived