Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Assessment After 25% of Season

tkatz

Who knows what will happen, but this is what I see after one quarter of the season. I'll start with the positives.

1. An improving team in most areas. A team with heart and tenacity. A team that has worked hard over the last 4 weeks to improve the scheme and their techniques.

2. A much improved offensive line, terrific backfield blocking ( Mike Sellers is sick, all-world!).

3.Great blend of Al Saunders and Joe Gibbs smash run football-- Sanders has interjected innovation while finding the roots of "Redskins Football" with overpowering runs, mixed with edge speed. Congrats to him. And when the o-line pulls, they look scary. Think Skins have only scored back to back 30 plus points twice under Norv, since Joe did it last in the huge offebnsive year of '91.

4.Stoudt defensive line. Pressure from the edges ( Carter awakened), with or without blitzes.

5. Brunell improving and poised ( except for first pass yesterday)

6. Improved special teams.; BUT

7. Our defensive backfield is still pourous; far too many big plays(R.Williams yesterday) but we did play tighter in coverage than the first three games, so that's progress, I guess. Unfortunately, it leaves us in the position of having given up the 7th most points in the league at the 25% milestone. This will be our achillies heel, I'm afraid, unless Springs makes the difference and S Taylor and Rodgers stay healthy.

8. OK linebacker play; challenged in coverage underneath on the intermediate routes.

SUM: On exactly right track as Springs gets healthy, hopefully soon. Now there is a chance for fans to exhale, maybe even let some real optimism in. Great coaching job in being stable, not panicking ( like I did), turning around a franchise that truly looked unprepared at the season's outset.

Bring on the Giants.

Hopefully this is the turn around point to the positive with Al Saunders playbook...it was Great to see Portis and Betts run last night.... we live and die by the run, it fuels everything else....I have to agree the linebacker play is not where it was last year.

Damn don't tell me it's 25% over already, that's so depressing! Wait so long for the season and it's already 1/4 over! no way! We better make the playoffs...
Man you read my mind. I could watch these boys play forever. But still I think its going to be a long year with many great things still to come.

Damn don't tell me it's 25% over already, that's so depressing! Wait so long for the season and it's already 1/4 over! no way! We better make the playoffs...

Man, I feel exactly the same way. Thing is, the last 5-6 weeks of a season feel like an eternity because of the pressure and intensity of a playoff hunt. I'm glad I recorded this game so I can replay it in, oh, April to help keep me waiting for the next season.

I see improvement from last season in a few areas. Punter (although yesterday was his worst game so far, but the fumble recovery on the return for them made up for it).

Id say the best thing is the tandem backfield... and the addition of explosive no. 2 and 3 WR's. Lloyd is poised to contribute way above what David Patten or Thrash did last year... and Randle El is just a time-bomb waiting to go off. Patten and Thrash still have roles on our offense. Now we have great depth. And Moss is once again... simply stunning.

If we get Springs back soon... and a bit more solid pass coverage from our LB's i get excited at what might come.

Things are definitely looking up but giving up 30 to a low scoring team like the Jags has me a bit worried. We are going to have to no worse than 3-3 in our own division (I'd prefer a minimum or 4-2) if we're still going to pursue the "P" word.

I don't want this team to turn into a copy of the Chiefs, who had to rely on their offense to outscore the other team in order to win. Our D REALLY has to step it up.

Things are definitely looking up but giving up 30 to a low scoring team like the Jags has me a bit worried. We are going to have to no worse than 3-3 in our own division (I'd prefer a minimum or 4-2) if we're still going to pursue the "P" word.

I don't want this team to turn into a copy of the Chiefs, who had to rely on their offense to outscore the other team in order to win. Our D REALLY has to step it up.

Maybe its jsut me, but I think our D had its best night of the season last night. They were put in some bad positions and Jacksonville made some GREAT players. Overall I think they looked pretty solid. 4 sacks, two turnovers, and some great plays in coverage. We still have to minimize the big plays though, and I think getting Springs back would help that in a big way.

that brings an interesting assesment. With all the weapons we have hanging around, was patten really that good in new england or was it the scheme that showcased him? Perhaps we should shop DP around for a trade and some draft picks if it seems he can't really get the time in game.

With 1/4 of the Regular Season over, you can look at the first 4 games many ways. Simply reviewing the first 4 games as a whole without projecting to any future games or expectations, here's what I got.

Lets start with the record......

We're 2-2. .500. We're 0-2 against the NFC and 2-0 against the AFC and 0-1 in the division. The frustration of the first 2 losses have certainly transformed into momentum and confidence with 2 straight wins. Convincing wins. None the less, we are 2-2.

The Offense.........

Growing. That's the best word I can think of to describe the offense when you view it from the perspective of the first 4 games as a whole. The QB, O-Line, RB's & WR's are getting better across the board with every game. Over the last 4 games we've seen how bad this offense can be and how good it can be. The Offensive Line has been good in pass protection in every game EXCEPT the 4th quarter of the Dallas Game. The running game has been significantly boosted by the return of Portis. Brunell has gotten better game by game as well, and appears to be more comfortable with the offense now than he was 4 weeks ago. I am a Campbell guy, but have to admit that Mark has played exceptionaly well the last 2 games and silenced the critics. Al Saunders has also been much improved over the 4 games with play calling and game planning.

The Defense.........

So-So. Great Run Defense and terrible pass defense. The D-Line has been a suprise, but not becasue I thought they would be terrible. I thought they would be good, but becasue I never saw the contributions of Golston & Montgomery coming. The 2 rookies have been a wonderful suprise. Meanwhile, Andre carter largely has been a dissapointment the first 4 weeks, although he had himself a nice game against Jacksonville and has been effective against the run. I believe he's largely a dissapointment because he has not come close to meeting the high expectations I had for him. Pass rush overall has been uneven from the D-Line over the first 4 games. The Linebackers have played well against the run but poor against the pass. Marcus Washington is Pro Bowl Lock. He's been exceptional in all phases. Holdman is playing well and holding off Rocky Macintosh at the moment. The Secondary has been................ not good. Here's the thing, it's not easy to put your finger on the problem with the secondary other than the absence of Springs. Sean Taylor is an ANIMAL. Carlos Rogers, Mike Rumph (nice trade by the way), Kenny Wright, and Archulta have all been inconsitent. Sometimes they've been right there to make plays, other time they get toasted. Is it the lack of a pass rush?? Are they just not good?? What we do know is that they've given up huge pass plays in each of the first 4 games.

Special Teams........

Punting has been great. Hats off to the oft-criticized Frost. He's done great. John Hall missed the biggest kick of the season thus far but that is the only miss he has all year. Kickoffs have been good. Coverage teams have been solid. We're middle of the pack in both Kick Coverage and Punt Coverage. Not great but not bad either.

End Result..........

Our record is accurate according to how we have played. We played bad in the first two games and lost both. We improved and played well in the last 2 games and won. It would have been nice to win ugly against Minn, but we didn't. This is a team that is improving. To win the way we did against Jacksonville shows that. The Redskins started the season playing more poorly than anyone thought they would but, right now, we are playing at a level indicative of a playoff caliber team after only 4 games.

Archived