Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2006 Redskins ARE better than 2005...really!

FunBunch7

We missed a 47 yarder vs. Minny that would have tied the game and then, who knows. Portis was NOT 100% and Springs was out.

In Dallas, they finished off what they started last season in week 2 but never completed. Blowout losses to division rivals is quite common even amoung equally talented teams. No Portis, No Springs...

In Houston, we get Portis back and yeah, well, we SHOULD have dominated the Texans, and we did.

Now we are playing a team that after that 9-0 shutout vs. Pittsburgh, people are thinking the Jags are the next "Monsters of the Midway". Well, they're not! The way Cincy rolled over the Steelers shows that Pittsburgh is NOT that good right now thereby the Jags win over them is not THAT impressive. Defensively, okay maybe, but they still only scored 9 points.

We were better than the Jags last year despite their 12-4 record...we didn't get to play Houston and Tennessee twice like they did.

We now have more receivers this year...something that really haunted us in the playoffs.

We have more depth at running back...yeah, Portis isn't 100% but he seems to be getting better.

Mark Brunell...well, you never know what you're gonna get but with all his weapons, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Our place kicking hasn't changed, but Frost is knocking the crap at of his punts.

Derfensively, all we are missing right now is Springs....once he gets back, this defense will completely turn around.

I respect the Jaguars as a solid football team, but this is a game we should win by 10 points.

I'm also NOT afraid of the giants the following week in the Meadowlands.

Now we are playing a team that after that 9-0 shutout vs. Pittsburgh, people are thinking the Jags are the next "Monsters of the Midway". Well, they're not! The way Cincy rolled over the Steelers shows that Pittsburgh is NOT that good right now thereby the Jags win over them is not THAT impressive. Defensively, okay maybe, but they still only scored 9 points.

I think you're in for a rude awakening. Not that you can't win but I think Jax is alot better than you're giving them credit for. You guys play after us so I look forward to this game. Should be interesting.

I think you're in for a rude awakening. Not that you can't win but I think Jax is alot better than you're giving them credit for. You guys play after us so I look forward to this game. Should be interesting.

No ****, man. Count me as one that's not undersestimating ths team for a moment. They're the real deal.

The Jags are alot like the Bears the last couple of seasons...they have a terrific defense but seem to need a compass to find the end zone. They DO have some play makers, but this offense just doesn't scare me.

I'm not expecting us to light it up and score 30 plus...but our defense will win this game for us I believe. That, and the crowd...and Derrick Frosts suddenly stellar punting.

We missed a 47 yarder vs. Minny that would have tied the game and then, who knows. Portis was NOT 100% and Springs was out.

In Dallas, they finished off what they started last season in week 2 but never completed. Blowout losses to division rivals is quite common even amoung equally talented teams. No Portis, No Springs...

In Houston, we get Portis back and yeah, well, we SHOULD have dominated the Texans, and we did.

We were better than the Jags last year despite their 12-4 record...we didn't get to play Houston and Tennessee twice like they did.

We now have more receivers this year...something that really haunted us in the playoffs.

We have more depth at running back...yeah, Portis isn't 100% but he seems to be getting better.

Mark Brunell...well, you never know what you're gonna get but with all his weapons, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Our place kicking hasn't changed, but Frost is knocking the crap at of his punts.

Derfensively, all we are missing right now is Springs....once he gets back, this defense will completely turn around.

I respect the Jaguars as a solid football team, but this is a game we should win by 10 points.

I'm also NOT afraid of the giants the following week in the Meadowlands.

I like your attitude man. I'm not scared either. :cheers:

I don't agree with much, but I appreciate your enthusiasm and optimism.

The Jacksonville Jaguars are a solid team and the Texans game wasn't illustrative of how the Redskins will play other teams nor did it really tell us much about the Skins offense.

On to your points:

"We missed a 47 yarder..."

We didn't miss it, our kicker did. Our kicker has a bit of a range problem, and if you think the 47 yard kick (that would've merely tied the game) is the last one that John Hall is going to miss, I'd like to sell you this bridge... Not trying to be snide here, but if kicking accuracy isn't at least a partial measure of how good a team is, then we aren't seriously evaluating our team.

"Blowout losses to division rivals is quite common even amoung equally talented teams. No Portis, No Springs..."

Fair point, but it doesn't reflect on Jacksonville one bit how much the Cowgirls beat us. I wouldn't quote the Dallas game as evidence that the Redskins will succeed, either, as it suggests the exact opposite.

"Well, they're not! The way Cincy rolled over the Steelers shows that Pittsburgh is NOT that good right now thereby the Jags win over them is not THAT impressive."

The Bengals did not roll over the Steelers, they beat them on a series of horrible turnovers. The Steelers had a total and utter meltdown that game after dominating the Bengals for most of it. The Bengals won, and I'm not trying to take that away from them, but a 28-20 win because the opposing team hands over 5 TOs isn't exactly a "rolling". Also Jacksonville beat Dallas, who beat us.

" We were better than the Jags last year despite their 12-4 record"

I don't necessarily disagree, though reasonable minds might.

" We have more depth at running back"

Without a doubt.

"well, you never know what you're gonna get but with all his weapons, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt."

You really do never know, because he could come out against a Dallas and throw for under 55% even with the dink-and-dump offensive play calling yet come out against the Texans and throw for over 88%. The question is: Does the Jags D look more like the Texans or the Cowgirls?

" Our place kicking hasn't changed, but Frost is knocking the crap at of his punts."

Frost has certainly improved, and I think bad kicking could certainly be a factor in this game, as it could very well come down to a field position battle.

" Derfensively, all we are missing right now is Springs....once he gets back, this defense will completely turn around."

I don't agree. I think it's true that lacking Springs completely changes our defensive scheme (and he will be out vs. the Jags more likely than not) we've lacked any kind of pass rush. Our front four have done nothing to intimidate opposing quarterbacks. Without Springs, Gregg Williams is forced to keep safeties and LBs back to help against the pass thus excacerbating the problem by giving the QB more time to throw (which means he has an easier time ripping to shreds our secondary, no matter how many people we keep back there). I think our defense will change for the better once Springs returns, but our pass rush leaves much to be desired.

" I respect the Jaguars as a solid football team, but this is a game we should win by 10 points."

I think the line is 2.5-3 points in Jacksonville's favor, so you should take it straight up. There's money to be made here, if you really feel that way.

Again, love the enthusiasm, hate to sound like a crabby old naysayer, but the Jags are a team I eye wearily. If the Redskins can win against them then we'll be in great shape to make a serious post season run.

I honestly think with Clinton in there we do have a good chance of pulling this one out at home Brunell does good as long as his isn't the main target of a defense. Since Portis is back he will be there target. that will open up something whether the little dinky stuff, or maybe we will even see something down field.

Is this the "we lost to the Jags, and you lost to us, so you are going to lose to the Jags" logic you are implying we all go with?

Maybe the Jaguars aren't that good, and neither is Dallas? That will be the only conclusion I will be drawing after we take care of business this weekend.

Skin Patrol...you make some good points to the original points I laid out. Le me add just a few more things...

Take the Giants game at the Meadowlands last year...we get beat 36-0...then, we had a pretty dominant game in the rematch that we won 35-20.

I remember back in the day (the 80's) getting the crap knocked out of us by Dallas, only to win the rematch in an equally decisive manner.

I would have loved to beat Dallas 2 weeks ago, but I don't think the fact that we got handled pretty good is indicative of how the rest of our season goes or even in the rematch with them for that matter.

As far as the Steeelers...it's pretty obvious they have some serious issues...they went on the best playoff run of all time last year, but in actuality, the Bengals WERE and ARE a better team. Had Palmer not gotten knocked out of that game, I strongly believe the Bengals would have won. The Steelers will NOT make the playoffs this year, therefore, the 9-0 shutout win by Jax is not AS IMPRESSIVE as it inititally seemed.

John Hall DOES still scare me. We really need him to make ALL kicks under 45 yards and at least half beyond 45.

And rememebr back in the days of Darrell Green? He would play man on man coverage against the opponents TOP receiver week in and week out. We never had the BEST defense in theleague, 1991 notwithstanding...but we were always quite dominant due in large to Darrell Green taking the "island" on all by himself while the rest of the defense played zone, blitz, whatever.

Now Shawn Springs is no Darrell Green especially at this stage of his career, but he is STILL a key component to what we do here.

It really doesn't matter unless we get more pressure on the QB though. These 3 man rushes have to change!

We will not just win but WIN BIG on Sunday at our HOUSE. It's time to cripple those little kittens and send them back to Jacksonville declawed.I'm not underestimating the kittens I just know how good we really are. We are a better team then last year and it's all going to come together this Sunday. As for the Gnat's there are also in for a rude awaking come the week after.:cheers:

How the hell can you guys be so confident? What have we done to really prove that we are as good as we say we are. I believe we have a good enough team to win on sunday but i unless portis/betts have 150+ combined we will haev to rely on Brunell and that scare the s*** outta me cause he still hasnt proven that he can do anything against a semi decent defense. So we will see. It all rests on the shoulders of portis and betts

Archived