Extremeskins

WT: Flags often fly near Taylor

http://washtimes.com/sports/20060916-123202-3598r.htm

Flags often fly near Taylor

By Ryan O'Halloran

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Published September 16, 2006

Advertisement

There's no question Sean Taylor plays hard and often plays well. Taylor, the Washington Redskins' third-year, hard-hitting Pro Bowl safety in the making, is always going full speed -- from post-practice sprints to covering kickoffs to every defensive snap -- and played the second half of last season on a bum ankle.

His helmet-rattling hits have produced plenty of oohs from crowds around the NFL.

But like every safety, Taylor walks the line between clean hits and those that officials perceive as unnecessary shots against defenseless players. The conundrum -- which developed in 2004 and late in 2005 -- flared up again in the Redskins' season-opening loss to Minnesota on Monday.....

The officials and even the NFL themselves target players once they get a reputation. Carrier was a perfect example, he came to the Redskins as a player with a reputation for late and dirty hits yet when he got here his hits were hard but clean, yet he was suspended and fined by the NFL for a hit that most thought should never have drawn a flag never mind a suspension. He was essentially run out of the league for his early play. So when the NFL says players are judged game to game there own admitted actions in the past disprove that claim.

I love how ST plays...you're kidding yourself if you think that opposing WR's don't fear catching the ball over the middle or along the sidelines...He has an intimidating presence to him, and I can see why the comparisons are made to Ronnie Lott...you ask this guy to tone down his aggressive nature, and we have Stanley Richard on our hands. I don't want a cream puff back in the secondary. The real problem lay in the fact that many officials are quick to throw a flag, cause of the violent nature of his tackles. If you ask me, I think that his reputation totally preceeds many objective calls from officials. Anyways, keep doing your thing Sean, you got a fan here, and pretty soon, your hard hitting play will garner respect it deserves from the zebras...

I love how ST plays...you're kidding yourself if you think that opposing WR's don't fear catching the ball over the middle or along the sidelines...He has an intimidating presence to him, and I can see why the comparisons are made to Ronnie Lott...you ask this guy to tone down his aggressive nature, and we have Stanley Richard on our hands. I don't want a cream puff back in the secondary. The real problem lay in the fact that many officials are quick to throw a flag, cause of the violent nature of his tackles. If you ask me, I think that his reputation totally preceeds many objective calls from officials. Anyways, keep doing your thing Sean, you got a fan here, and pretty soon, your hard hitting play will garner respect it deserves from the zebras...

Not surprising coming from someone who's screen name is RonArtest

I'm sorry but that 15yarder on the WR was bogus...the guy was still in bounds and it was all shoulder and the ball was tipped and still in play sorta....out of bounds yes flag it but in bounds thats tired....shocker Mike Spitman Carey didn't waver or reverse the call.

Not surprising coming from someone who's screen name is RonArtest

bhayesp, not sure if you found something wrong with the post quoted above, but I agree with him. ST is a hitter! That's what I love about him. He is such a beast, and absolutely an intimidating force on our defense!

Keep cracking head, ST!! :notworthy

bhayesp, not sure if you found something wrong with the post quoted above, but I agree with him. ST is a hitter! That's what I love about him. He is such a beast, and absolutely an intimidating force on our defense!

Keep cracking head, ST!! :notworthy

I was just having fun with his user name.

I can't see a guy with a RonArtest user name wanting a finesse game out of the defense.

Despite the penalty problems, Williams said he won't tell Taylor to ratchet down his physicality.

"I want him playing football," Williams said. "All my life, I've been trying to speed players up and I've finally got one where I don't have to worry about that. I'm not telling him to cut back on things. Playing pass defense is hard enough as it is because the rules of the game are designed for explosive plays and they want everything possible to go for the passing game.

"Part of playing pass defense is intimidation. When you have a player of Sean's caliber, physical stature and ability, that becomes part of him playing defense. I'll never ask him to slow down. Never."

Sean Taylor is by far my favorite player, and I'm IMMENSELY happy that Williams supports the way he plays. As long as the coaches support ST, I have no issues with him jacking players up all year long.

DEFENSE is not about finesse. A defensive player on his way to the end zone with the ball should look to hit an offensive player on the way.. A DEFENSIVE player should always look to intimidate as much of the offense as he can with legal, make-them-earn-it plays. Football isn't a game for the finesse. 3 yards and a cloud of dust, dirty uniforms, blood and bodies that feel like you have been in a conflict. Those are things football is about.

Keep bringing the plays Shawn Taylor!

:helmet:

Heck, I'll take a 15 yarder now and then just to see some deep threat go across the middle and get a bone jarring shot from Taylor or Springs. It's called respect. And every receiver in this league has it for him. That's unfortunately why the zebras have 0 tolerance for it. "Alligator arms" I had never heard that before ST came in the league...too funny!

Archived