Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Different year, same problems.

BDOG510

So you're giving all the blame to the Redskins play and no credit to how the Vikings played?

Yes that's exactly what I'm doing. Good teams beat teams like the Vikings at home. It doesn't matter what the Vikings do because good teams dictate to lesser squads. They push them around and impose their will. If we are going to "take" whatever weak teams give us at home... this is going to be a long defense.

The jury is still out on this team and no one should give up. However, I have tried to make the point all offseason that this team has a lot of new faces in very key positions. Positions that are not going to gel overnight or even in one entire season. Last night you saw the best free agent from the 06 class, unfortunately he played for the Vikings. You also saw a team that had drafted depth at key positions like safety and defensive line. The fact is the Vikings are what the Redskins want to be. They are a tough team with a veteran QB who got the job done late in the game. They went out and got one big piece in the offseason, not five large pieces, some in positions we didn't need.

Give this team a season. I know we have waited a long time, I know people had high hopes this season. This team is not ready yet. If Dan Snyder and the front office can resist the urge to spend this offseason and keep the unit together this team will prosper down the road. This is not the year, it is too soon and thing have to come together. It will happen, it will.

I agree with you on this observation!

I told myself before the season begun that I was not going to get my hopes up high on this team. Notice emphasis is drawn on "this" in reference to the new acquisition made in the off-season.

I really do believe that had we just gone out and gotten one receiver (preferably Randle 'El), whom I'm glad that we have gotten; then our upgrades at the receiver position would've been well invested because of his versatility.

But, being the affluent owner that "The Danny" is, the Redskins decided to go on a spending splurge. When will this organization learn to "STOP" making these type of decisions because in the long run, it is going to eventually catch up to us when important players such as Cooley decide to leave for free agency and we are not able to retain them.

:logo:

I keep hearing all of this:toilet: about how the offense stunk :stop: If you watch, everytime brunell rolls out to pass, he has no strength throwing on the run and usually he throws the ball away, thats the only problem i saw with the offense, if u put in a better qb (JC) we could open up the field a bit and use Moss's speed down the field:point2sky

Slow down guys. The NFL season is very long.

The Vikings are much improved from last year. With a healthy Brad Johnson, they can easily vie for THE NFC Nroth title.

The Skins will right the ship. This all came down to one missed 48 yard field goal.

RELAX It's Dallas week. Get focused. We win next week, we're ok. If we lose next week, the season isn't over.

Man fellas after one game and some of you all already declare the season over. So the same anemic offense that didnt score a touchdown until week two last year. The same running back who didnt score a touchdown until san fran which was what week last year? I am so sick of coming on this board after a loss and reading this crap. As one poster said if some of you all wanna jump off the wagon then clear some room but dont be the same people who come on this board when we go on another winning streak. We have a huge game coming up in dallas did some of you already give up hope????

Yes that's exactly what I'm doing. Good teams beat teams like the Vikings at home. It doesn't matter what the Vikings do because good teams dictate to lesser squads. They push them around and impose their will. If we are going to "take" whatever weak teams give us at home... this is going to be a long defense.

Did everyone forget that the Brad Johnson-led Vikings won 6 games in a row last year and were in the wild card chase up until Week 16? And now they have a much improved O-line and a system that seemed to work in Philly for 3 straight trips to the NFC Championship Game....I'm not sure where some of you get the idea that Minnesota is a bad team.

This is not in response to anyone in particular. I just wanted to post my thoughts on the game.

I love this team. I love our coaches and I love our players. I was upset that we lost a game that we should have won but I was also very encouraged. The offense didn’t look bad; they looked unpolished—not ready for prime time. Then again, so did a lot of teams on opening day including the New England Patriots. The offense was inconsistent but showed glimses of how good they will be in . . . October. ;) They were able to move the ball at will at times and yet stalled on other possessions. Having a totally healthy Clinton Portis will cure a lot of our offensive ills. The man is a great, great running back. Gibbs and Saunders will address the red-zone problems. Again; I feel that a healthy Portis is a huge advantage in the red-zone.

The defense wasn’t great but they did hold the Vikes to 16 points and that should be good enough for an offense with this talent level. Leave Sean Taylor alone. He is the man. He puts his heart and soul into every play. I love that guy. The loss of Prioleau was big. Sean Springs is needed back badly.

The Vikings are searching for an identity and what they did, they did well. You could tell that they practiced those plays a lot during the off-season. They executed their plays well. How far this approach will get them in November when it’s all on film and defensive coaches have had time to properly game-plan? I doubt very far. JMO. On the other hand, by November our beloved Redskins will be a finely oiled machine; we’ll be polished, and still have 567 plays left in the book. (excluding pictures) ;)

Later.

:dallasuck

These things have plaqued the Redskins since Gibbs returned.

1) Stupid play calling.

2) Anemic offense.

3) Inability to score in the red zone.

4) weak QB play.

5) weak FG kicker.

Last year our defense was able to keep us in the game, this year we have holes in it.

Iam so sick of this sh** Huge expectations every year only to be let down again and again.

YOU CANT BUY A GOOD FOOTBALL TEAM DAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TOM CRUISE IS NOT GONNA HELP YOU DAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JOE looks bewildered :doh:

We are in for a long miserable year. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Without reading all the responses to this ridiculous thread I'm glad you don't represent the essense of a skins' fan.

And btw, we were money in the redzone last year and had no problem scoring points at around week 3 and beyond. Get a grip.

This is not in response to anyone in particular. I just wanted to post my thoughts on the game.

I love this team. I love our coaches and I love our players. I was upset that we lost a game that we should have won but I was also very encouraged. The offense didn’t look bad; they looked unpolished—not ready for prime time. Then again, so did a lot of teams on opening day including the New England Patriots. The offense was inconsistent but showed glimses of how good they will be in . . . October. ;) They were able to move the ball at will at times and yet stalled on other possessions. Having a totally healthy Clinton Portis will cure a lot of our offensive ills. The man is a great, great running back. Gibbs and Saunders will address the red-zone problems. Again; I feel that a healthy Portis is a huge advantage in the red-zone.

The defense wasn’t great but they did hold the Vikes to 16 points and that should be good enough for an offense with this talent level. Leave Sean Taylor alone. He is the man. He puts his heart and soul into every play. I love that guy. The loss of Prioleau was big. Sean Springs is needed back badly.

The Vikings are searching for an identity and what they did, they did well. You could tell that they practiced those plays a lot during the off-season. They executed their plays well. How far this approach will get them in November when it’s all on film and defensive coaches have had time to properly game-plan? I doubt very far. JMO. On the other hand, by November our beloved Redskins will be a finely oiled machine; we’ll be polished, and still have 567 plays left in the book. (excluding pictures) ;)

Later.

:applause: :notworthy Thank you its about time to hear something encouraging like that. Its going to be a long season fellas but I dont know aobut you all but I will be on the ship all season long win or lose.

Without reading all the responses to this ridiculous thread I'm glad you don't represent the essense of a skins' fan.

And btw, we were money in the redzone last year and had no problem scoring points at around week 3 and beyond. Get a grip.

What ever you are on please give me some. The delusion of some people on this board are ridiculous.

Open up your eyes man! smell the coffee!

Didn't they score 19 points. ST is great and recieved a tough penalty in that 4th quarter drive. The next penalty was right on the money and they had no choice but to throw the flag. In his third year he has to learn not to do those things. Especially during an important 4th quarter drive. But ST was not the problem; it was the rest of the secondary, Rogers included.

Wilbon in the WP this morning hit it right on the head. If we can't stop 2 second tier wide receivers at our own house, how in the world are we going to be able to stop T.O. and Glenn, in Dallas?:2cents:

Any explanation would be appreciated.

If we can't stop 2 second tier wide receivers at our own house, how in the world are we going to be able to stop T.O. and Glenn, in Dallas?:2cents:

Any explanation would be appreciated.

Well, let's hope that Dallas' O line doesn't make our D line a non-factor like the Vikes did, I think getting to Bledsoe will go a long way into helping the coverage and perhaps force a couple turnovers. We shall see.

What ever you are on please give me some. The delusion of some people on this board are ridiculous.

Open up your eyes man! smell the coffee!

Dude it's week 1 and your acting like the we just didn't show up. Your points are just flat out wrong. If you're going to judge the season on this 1st game then like I said you're not a skins' fan....heck or even know football.

Go back and check the stats. We were top 5 in redzone offense (scoring TDs) last season.

As for playcall, you have to be kidding. I place no blame on the coaching. We didn't execute, we didn't get a good pash rush and we couldn't do anything within 10 yards of the endzone last night. But to say we're in for a long miserable year, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Well, let's hope that Dallas' O line doesn't make our D line a non-factor like the Vikes did, I think getting to Bledsoe will go a long way into helping the coverage and perhaps force a couple turnovers. We shall see.

I agree that the vikes have some huge guys on that left side of the line but my goodness they made big Salavea look like a piece of meat. Big Hutch just tossed everyone to the side when they went left.

Dallas o-line play isn't that good but neither is our d-line so it may be more even then anythign. BTW, is Daniels' injury significant?

I agree that the vikes have some huge guys on that left side of the line but my goodness they made big Salavea look like a piece of meat. Big Hutch just tossed everyone to the side when they went left.

Dallas o-line play isn't that good but neither is our d-line so it may be more even then anythign. BTW, is Daniels' injury significant?

I thought he got back on the field after he got hurt. I could be wrong about that one though...anyone else have news on this?

i honestly only saw one huge problem with the skins last night. mark brunell is playing to safe, he is playing not to make plays, but to not make a turnover. and before the brunell buddies come swooping in im not saying hes a bad QB. but you cant run a wide open offense if the QB is constantly throwing to the checkdown safe pass. and if those were his primary reciever(and i dont believe that for a minute) then i have to believe that gibbs is tying saunders hands. i think they were trying to protect portis a little as well. when he is back to 100% i think that alone will do wonders.

the defense looked solid especially considering that the secondary is patched up right now.

I thought we did a great job in the red zone last year...this seems to be a new problem, most likely due to a BRAND NEW OFFENSE!

We'll find our niche...it took almost two full games for us to score a TD last year and we recovered...give it time.

Until we're really out of the picture, I'm not going to write this season off. I've seen too many seasons where we win the opener and start off pretty well only to see the league lap us by November to get discouraged after starting 0-1.

The loss hurts, but it was a close game and could have gone either way with one or two plays. I'm not ready to throw in the towel ... with Springs, and Wynn returning the defense should do better. Prilow [sic] was missed and I hope he too returns. The Saunders offense looks promising and remains a work in progress ... ARE adds a new dimension. The running game ... which is essential to Saunders ... will definitely improve as Portis gets his sea legs and TJ comes aboard. Betts did not hurt and gives good depth. The key is Brunell ... always has been. If he stays upright and doesn't commit any boneheads (unforced errors) he will be adequate enough. The turning point last year was going back to a running game featuring plenty of Clinton. The same will happen with Saunders offense being superimposed. Hall is Hall and is not very good over 40, but he should do well at closer range. IMO Frost will get better as the season progress (he has improved somewhat, one bad kick notwithstanding). I think the Vikings are a very good team and last night they played at the top with superb performances from Johnson and Taylor and the OL (which is fantastic). If the Skins get lucky and beat Dallas, last night's game will be forgotten. The Vikings gave the Boys all they could handle in the presseason when starters played a good chunk of the game. Keep your perspective everyone.

These things have plaqued the Redskins since Gibbs returned.

1) Stupid play calling.

2) Anemic offense.

3) Inability to score in the red zone.

4) weak QB play.

5) weak FG kicker.

Last year our defense was able to keep us in the game, this year we have holes in it.

Iam so sick of this sh** Huge expectations every year only to be let down again and again.

YOU CANT BUY A GOOD FOOTBALL TEAM DAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TOM CRUISE IS NOT GONNA HELP YOU DAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JOE looks bewildered :doh:

We are in for a long miserable year. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Halleluyah for saying all those above.

Yeah, Joe Gibbs and Dan Snyder keep applying { Win SuperBowl Now } philosophy, instead of building gradually for the future.

Keep throwing away all those draft picks after draft picks.

What a totally shallow minded operation. :doh: :doh:

Where the hell are all those { In Gibbs We Trust } or { In Greggo Williams We Trust } crowd?

WTF, you all have been saying about meaningless Pre Season.

Vanilla my arse. Look at the Saunders offense yesterday.

How vanilla was that?

Dink and Dunk. Using Santana Moss for those lousy quick hitch one too many time.

1st, we were hiding our scheme to set up the Vikings.

Now what?

Are we hiding our scheme to set up the Pukes??

We were playing the Vikings. Vikings is just an average NFL team.

Skins were beaten by the average Vikings at home.

Come out and spin this. What a loser mentality!! :loser:

Go ahead SPIN away. :dance: :dance:

i honestly only saw one huge problem with the skins last night. mark brunell is playing to safe, he is playing not to make plays, but to not make a turnover. and before the brunell buddies come swooping in im not saying hes a bad QB. but you cant run a wide open offense if the QB is constantly throwing to the checkdown safe pass. and if those were his primary reciever(and i dont believe that for a minute) then i have to believe that gibbs is tying saunders hands. i think they were trying to protect portis a little as well. when he is back to 100% i think that alone will do wonders.

the defense looked solid especially considering that the secondary is patched up right now.

Clinton Portis is a key issue that may be overlooked in the immediate aftermath of this loss. If Clinton Portis was healthy enough to see the snaps that he saw then he was healthy enough to play the entire game as the feature back. You can't save anything for anyone in a 16 game season. I would have liked to see Clinton with 20-25 carries last night. If we saved him for Dallas or further down the road then we made a huge mistake. We are looking at 0-2 and only 14% of teams that have started 0-2 have made the playoffs since the division format began. Not good.

This all came down to one missed 48 yard field goal.

That is absolute nonsense. Even a great kicker will miss from that distance half the time. We had lost the battle in multiple facets of the game long before that final field goal, which at best would have tied the game and sent us into overtime against a team that outplayed us from the get-go.

That is absolute nonsense. Even a great kicker will miss from that distance half the time. We had lost the battle in multiple facets of the game long before that final field goal, which at best would have tied the game and sent us into overtime against a team that outplayed us from the get-go.

I agree with this...other than a brief period between the late-first quarter and mid-second quarter, the Vikings were the better team.

The game essentially ended when we had to settle for a FG to tie the game at 16 instead of going up 20-16.

Archived