Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cowbuys first round pick Carpenter made inacctive for this weekend

skinsngibbs4life

Cowboys' first pick will sit

Depth at LB allows surprising decision on Carpenter for opener

11:31 PM CDT on Friday, September 8, 2006

By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – Linebacker Bobby Carpenter, the 18th player selected in the 2006 draft, will be inactive for the Cowboys' season opener Sunday against Jacksonville.

Linebacker Oliver Hoyte, an undrafted free agent, will play.

Hoyte has been deemed more valuable because of his production on special teams, especially the kickoff and punt coverage units.

"At linebacker, we've really evolved and got a lot of talent at that position," owner Jerry Jones said. "You saw it when we let Rocky [boiman] go.

"It's not a negative," Jones said of the Carpenter decision, "although it obviously could be looked at that way. I can see with what we want to do with Bobby, playing him at inside linebacker, how it's eventually going to be in his best interest and the Cowboys' best interest."

Dallas released Boiman, a free-agent acquisition who received a $1 million signing bonus, last week.

Carpenter, who signed a five-year deal worth nearly $12 million, including $7.5 million in guaranteed money, is making a tough adjustment from outside linebacker in the 4-3 defense, which he played at Ohio State, to inside linebacker in the 3-4.

The Cowboys switched Carpenter five days into training camp, in part, because Greg Ellis adapted so quickly to linebacker after spending the early years of his career at defensive end and because veteran Al Singleton proved to be a capable backup on the outside.

In the 4-3 defense, the outside linebacker lines up over the tight end or on his outside shoulder, where speed and quickness is an advantage. In the 3-4, Carpenter must consistently take on guards who outweigh him by 50 pounds.

He's playing behind Akin Ayodele, another free-agent acquisition who signed a five-year, $17.5 million deal in March. In the Cowboys' scheme, Carpenter is playing on the weak side (opposite the tight end), so he doesn't have to deal with as many blockers and can use his speed to chase plays from the back side.

Carpenter was unavailable for comment Friday. Earlier in the week, though, he talked about the adjustment from outside linebacker to inside linebacker.

"The reads are a lot different," he said. "If you take one false step, it can take you completely out of the play."

Jones said the Cowboys have more depth and talent at linebacker than any position on their roster. Being inactive for the season opener, he said, does not make Carpenter a wasted draft choice.

"He's a smart young man. He knows he has a career here," Jones said. "Hopefully, he'll recognize that no matter what basis you join the team that you really have to get it done on the field."

That's what Hoyte has done.

Although he was a productive player at North Carolina State, his 5.0 time in the 40-yard dash made most teams leary.

Hoyte (6-3, 247) is what coaches refer to as a "football player" because while he doesn't have the prototypical measurements and numbers, he makes plays.

He earned a spot on the Cowboys' roster with his work on special teams. He made four tackles against New Orleans.

"I run down the field as fast as I can and do my job," Hoyte said. "It's really not too complicated. I knew I could play. I'm not the fastest guy, but they wouldn't have signed me if they didn't think I could play."

Parcells said he has been impressed with Hoyte's performance.

"You tip your hat to a kid like that because he's hungry and wants it bad," Parcells said. "You put him out there and all he does is make tackles.We will see Sunday. He might have stage fright. That's what you worry about."

too funny,wheres all the boys fans that were laughing at us for taking mcintosh.carp cant even make the active roster over an undrafted rookie.

Yeah...

He's so bad we released Boiman and he was imediately scooped up by the Colts.

I promise you, our LBs are deep and talented, but he will not be sitting the whole year. He is learning a new position, one in which Mcintosh could not play because of his small stature.

Thanks for the concern though...

Yeah...

I promise you, our LBs are deep and talented, but he will not be sitting the whole year. He is learning a new position, one in which Mcintosh could not play because of his small stature.

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Good luck with that. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Slammed for starting a rookie, and slammed for another not playing. If I didn't trust you guys I would say thay you're inconsistent? :whoknows:

Starting and not playing/inactive are two different things, THA.

Tell me you wouldn't have had a field day if we didn't dress Taylor two years ago, or Rogers last year, or even McIntosh this year. Not that they won't start, but that they wouldn't have played. Come on, even you have to admit this bodes poorly for Carpenter.

Most coaches have a damned hard time not playing their first round draft picks unless it's a mentoring situation. This doesn't strike me as one of those. While I commend Parcells for not giving into his pride, and playing an UDFA instead, it makes you wonder about your first round pick, doesn't it?

Slammed for starting a rookie, and slammed for another not playing. If I didn't trust you guys I would say thay you're inconsistent? :whoknows:

Correction:

Slammed for starting a 5th rounder, you got that one right.

But when a 1st rounder doesn't even get a chance to be a BACK-UP...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I don't even know why I responded though, arguing with a Cow:pooh: fan is like talking to a ****ing brick wall...

Yeah...

Ken

You come up with some doozies sometimes. McIntosh is known to play all positions at LB. He'll dress for the game monday evening. He may not start but he'll see quite a bit of playing time. Your 18th over all pick in the draft gets beaten out by an undrafted FA and he couldn't even make it as a back up!

I'd call that a bust, simple as that.

Jerry tried his best to put a positive spin on this one and it showed. You think you can do any better?

Now remember, McIntosh will rotate in the game. He'll play. Your Boy is #3 and he gets to sit on the bench the entire game. He'll watch.

Ken

You come up with some doozies sometimes. McIntosh is known to play all positions at LB. He'll dress for the game monday evening. He may not start but he'll see quite a bit of playing time. Your 18th over all pick in the draft gets beaten out by an undrafted FA and he couldn't even make it as a back up!

I'd call that a bust.

Maybe Rocky could play in a 4-3, but at 230 lbs, he would get crushed in our 3-4.

That really is what I'm talking about. Has every Skin fan completely ignored the fact that he moved positions?

Starting and not playing/inactive are two different things, THA.

Tell me you wouldn't have had a field day if we didn't dress Taylor two years ago, or Rogers last year, or even McIntosh this year. Not that they won't start, but that they wouldn't have played. Come on, even you have to admit this bodes poorly for Carpenter.

Most coaches have a damned hard time not playing their first round draft picks unless it's a mentoring situation. This doesn't strike me as one of those. While I commend Parcells for not giving into his pride, and playing an UDFA instead, it makes you wonder about your first round pick, doesn't it?

You make a point goaldeje but a 3-4 requires great depth at LB. I believe Carp has all the tools and will get his chance. Honestly, I don't think Parcells anticipated Ellis' transition to OLB to be so seamless and/or Kevin Burnett bouncing back so strong from injury last year. We'll see how things workout.

Ken

I'd call that a bust, simple as that.

Jerry tried his best to put a positive spin on this one and it showed. You think you can do any better?

Now remember, McIntosh will rotate in the game. He'll play. Your Boy is #3 and he gets to sit on the bench the entire game. He'll watch.

I should hope ROCKY would play with your LB situation. Other than Washington, there is no one that should keep ROCKY from playing on your team.

BTW, Hoyte is an amazing Special teams player who can play middle adequately in the 3-4. That outweighs a guy who is solid at special teams and is still learning the middle in the 3-4.

Understand?

Maybe Rocky could play in a 4-3, but at 230 lbs, he would get crushed in our 3-4.

That really is what I'm talking about. Has every Skin fan completely ignored the fact that he moved positions?

That's your opinion Ken and I disagree. The LB position requires the same abilities and talent, whether in a 3-4 or a 4-3 defense. Greg Williams employs the 3-4 defense in his system. It's used quite often throughout any given game, so I'd imagine that we'll see whether or not your theory on McIntosh being to small in stature to play in the 3-4 is valid or not.

That's your opinion Ken and I disagree. The LB position requires the same abilities and talent, whether in a 3-4 or a 4-3 defense. Greg Williams employs the 3-4 defense in his system. It's used quite often throughout any given game, so I'd imagine that we'll see whether or not your theory on McIntosh being to small in stature to play in the 3-4 is valid or not.

Ok, maybe as a gimmick it is possible....

Look around the league at MLBs in the 3-4. 250 is the norm...

Ok there is no way Cowboys fans can spin this. When your first rounder is made INACTIVE for the first game, he's a damn bust. When they choose to play an undrafted rookie free agent linebacker over a first round linebacker, he's a bust. Get this through your damn heads! You guys havent even played a game and the SOB is already INACTIVE! This is some funny ****.

In other news, I am really glad you guys drafted this guy. You guys could've gone after OL or secondary but you guys chose a position in which their was no pressing need. Ware, Ayodele, James and Ellis were set to be the starters. This was a dumb move by Mantitties. Dumb move.

Ok there is no way Cowboys fans can spin this. When your first rounder is made INACTIVE for the first game, he's a damn bust. When they choose to play an undrafted rookie free agent linebacker over a first round linebacker, he's a bust. Get this through your damn heads! You guys havent even played a game and the SOB is already INACTIVE! This is some funny ****.

In other news, I am really glad you guys drafted this guy. You guys could've gone after OL or secondary but you guys chose a position in which their was no pressing need. Ware, Ayodele, James and Ellis were set to be the starters. This was a dumb move by Mantitties. Dumb move.

Either you're 100% correct or we have unexpected depth at the LB position? Add in that Parcells was forced to keep two kickers and he had to make a call. Parcells is known for deactivating starting caliber players in specific situations. I'm willing to say we're unexpectedly deep at LB and Carp will make an impact when everything's said and done? What do I know though?

People, please stop trying to use common sense and logic when it comes to talking with Cowpuke fans. They spin everything, no matter what the situation. Seriously, after the TO spinning they have done, there should be no doubt how absurd they can be.

Any objective fan with the slightest amount of NFL knowledge knows that this is in no way a good sign for the Cowpukes. It signifies a bust, or at best, a major inflation on the draft choice.

how can you question an oragization that drafted every UNC DE except Julius Peppers? or Moved up on the draft to select Quincy Carter? or traded for Drew Henson? come on now people take off your rose colored glasses! how can you possiably question the getting both vanderjak and owens in the same offseason. you need to look in the mirror, i mean what kind off organization would trade a sure probowler like L. Coles for an undersized reciever like Santana? why in the world would you want to draft a kid out of Utah State? Who in there right mind would draft a safety in the top five. come on people...........................................................................................................................:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :dallasuck

Either you're 100% correct or we have unexpected depth at the LB position? Add in that Parcells was forced to keep two kickers and he had to make a call. Parcells is known for deactivating starting caliber players in specific situations. I'm willing to say we're unexpectedly deep at LB and Carp will make an impact when everything's said and done? What do I know though?

Unexpected depth? Dude, they're dressing an UNDRAFTED FREE AGENT LINEBACKER over the LINEBACKER they drafted in the FIRST ROUND. The only thing unexpected here is how badly Carpenter has sucked. Now THAT was unexpected. :laugh:

Archived