Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYC Skins fans: Season Opener @ Mercury Bar (Merged)

LaRou

bguacheta:

thanks for the update. we should check out both bars and see which is the best deal and setting. i'm just staying away from dorrian's because of their shady past (not referring to the falls).

pm me if you want to discuss further.

I'm open to either place and will check out both. I'll be at Mad Hatter during the first half and maybe slip over to Mercury at half-time. They are a few blocks from each other.

I'll post my impressions of both. Anyone who's been to/will go to each bar please chime in. I don't have a camera so I can't take pics of the Mad Hatter. But Mercury Bar looks pretty nice and is big.

May the best NYC Skins bar win...

I will definitely be there (with my Portis jersey) and I know of more people who are coming.

But, remember, it's August and preseason. So a lot of people are out of town, on vacation, etc.

By the way, I would start an on-line meeting website (e.g., meetup.com) that allows people to rsvp. But I don't want to spend money on it. If anyone knows of a free site, let me know.

:cheers:

http://redskins.meetup.com/17/?a=ww1_wltgj&gj=ej13%3c/a

This is free. they meet at Dorrian's.

Address:

1616 2nd Avenue (Corner Of 84th St. & 2nd Ave.)

Telephone:

(212) 772-6660

:gaintsuck :dallasuck :eaglesuck :cheers:

I think we've collectively decided against Dorrian's for a variety of reasons (difficulty to get there, association with the Falls, bailing out the preppy murderer, etc.).

LaRou is the organizer of the meetup crowd as well (I believe), but Dorrian's isn't where many of us are planning on going. MadHatter is, I think, where most people are going to go.

Jack Dorrian is a shady man and I refuse to give him my money and to refer him business. I WAS part of the meetup group for Dorrian's until I did some research.

We have two possible venues (besides Dorrian's) and we have a lot of people on my list who (a) don't want to hike it up to the upper East side and/or (B) don't want to give Dorrian's any business. The guy bailed out a customer who murdered a young girl in the mid 1980s. That's not the kind of bar I want to be associated with.

Like I said, I'm going to go to both The Mad Hatter and Mercury and hope everyone does too. Both bars will dedicate the TVs to the Skins. Fortunately, Manhattan's a lame NFL town and there are lots of bars looking for fan clubs to fill their joints on Sundays.

By the end of preseason (or maybe next week), we'll have a place chosen. Both bars want to run a Skins bar, so it's up to us to pick the better place.

I hope you dont mind that I post this here as this is about NYC, but I am from Long Island and it a real pain and a hike to get to the city. I am just posting this information for long islanders that might read this post.

If you want to go to a fairly good skins bar, I hang out at a place called Irish Times in Holbrook. Now it is not a true redskins bar as the big screen gets all the NY attention, but if enough of us show, I am sure the owner night reconsider what game goes on the big screen. There are about 35 TVs in this place so we get to watch the games anyway.There are about 10 to 15 of us that go there regularly during the season, we would love to have more. PM if you are interested.

I'm really worried about the whole "Divided we fall" aspect of this whole thing. At last count there were 4 different venues showing the Skins, supposedly exclusivly. Last year on our best days in the Falls we weren't enough people to fill 2 bars. So yes I understand some people don't want to go to Dorrians , but we REALLY need to keep together on this or we risk losing all 4 places. As a bar owner paying for Direct TV and rent, with out HUGE numbers coming in to one place, what insentive does he have to stay a Skins bar when he can go back to showing all the games and getting more people. Last year I watch more than one game in the Falls with less than 20 people in it during the nationally televised games, so why would we think that anyone, much less 4 places would commit to those kinds of numbers?

The best part of last year was being around as many Skins fans as is possible outside of DC and now we're talking about cutting those numbers in half, at least.

So look, I'm not trying to tell anyone where to go or whatever, but our first 2 games are nationally televised followed by the texans.... if we can't get the numbers in one of the places, the owners could very easily go back to showing all the games and sound for the NY team. So if we're going to have more than one bar, we should seriously consider having ONE other place and trying to get as many people in the same place as possible. Of the 4 places I'd personally vote for Mercury Bar, but it seems like Dorrians is more commited and has more numbers. So PLEASE let's decide on one MAYBE two places and be willing to be flexible if the numbers aren't working in our favor to combine forces and have another great year watching out beloved Skins take it all the way while outside the doors thousand and thousands of giant fans are stewing in misery.....

I've almost been beaten up too many times by douchey giant fans because I refuse to not cheer for my team to ever want to go back to that because we cant organize.....

my 2 cents....

i hear ya.

i've been spending a lot of time on this and it's been frustrating when i get e-mailed from someone with yet another idea. i'm gonna check out mad hatter tonight and see how it goes. if it's no good, i'm gonna check out mercury bar. so in my mind, it'll be one of two places.

i'm sure we'll have one spot chosen by the end of preseason.

What's the verdit LaRou?

Did you get to both places?

I'm all for Mecury Bar as it's a lot closer and I'm fimiliar with the bar and know it's good, but can we get a Skins only with sound guarentee for the entire season?

I'm just worried that if we don't fill the place as much as showing all the games would (and has the times I've been there), then they'll bail on us and revert back.

My biggest worry is that that will happen to all the places and we'll be back to nothing because we can't all decide on one place...

This week we're meeting for the 2nd pre-season game (against the Jets on Saturday 8/19 @ 8PM) at MERCURY BAR - Eastside.

We're looking to have another great turnout and will keep everyone up-to-date about the next meeting.

Mercury Bar (Eastside)

493 3rd Ave. (between 33rd & 34th St.)

Telephone: 212-683-2645

www.mercurybarnyc.com

For updates, Click HERE or the link at the bottom of this post. PM me if you'd like to be added to the e-mail list.

:logo:

I'll be there at Mercury Bar this Saturday. I've also spoken with the owner and he is very enthusiastic and seems committed to this arrangement. He had some solid ideas for the season, even beyond specials and promotions from their distributors. It's a convenient location and a great bar as well. So it sounds like there will be a good-sized group meeting this weekend, though I expect we'll see a lot more of us for the regular season kickoff. I am excited to make this place burgundy and gold! Hail to the Redskins!

Archived