Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT - Springs won't play against Vikings

HapHaszard

http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20060906-124535-2049r.htm

Don't look for cornerback Shawn Springs on the field when the Washington Redskins open the season Monday night against Minnesota. Asked if he was going to be recovered from Aug.15 abdominal surgery in time to face the Vikings and old running mate Fred Smoot, Springs smiled wistfully and shook his head.

"They said it was going to be three-to-six weeks, and it's three weeks today," Springs said. "It's getting better, but ..."

With Springs out, former Viking Kenny Wright will continue to start opposite Carlos Rogers, as he did in the final three preseason games. Mike Rumph and Ade Jimoh are Washington's other corners.

click on the link above for the rest of the article

I actually have quite a bit of confidence in Rumph for whatever reason. Perhaps its just that he was so talented in college and he might have just needed a change of scenery from San Fran. I hope he is able to make a push for the nickel-back spot even once Springs is back.

I hate to say it but I don't think he'll be ready for the opener. It would be one thing if it were maybe another part of his body but this was surgery done on his "core" which CB's rely on heavily when turning and shifting directions. If he is ready to go then its a testament to him being in good shape.

Williams will scheme to protect Los and Wright. Look for more help from the safeties in the secondary which should lead to more running by the vikes.

Bingo! There's no way that Williams will leave Wright out on an island...because he WILL get smoked otherwise. I don't think Williams will leave Carlos out on an isalnd either. Although, he may allow him a little more independence...I expect a lot of help from the safeties.

As long as we he's back for week 2 against Dallas, I'm all for him getting a little extra rest

I don't think he'll be back for Week 2 either. I think we'll see Springs in week 3 or 4. That's fine, he needs to recover 100% or he'll be dealing with this issue all season.

We're a much weaker pass defense without him, but what can you do? Hopefully the troops can man up and raise their level of play while he's out.

Well, if it's 3-6 weeks, and we're only at Week 3, he will almost certainly be out for the Dallas game as well, which is really bad news. The other DB's will have to play the game of their life to keep up with that WR corps.

Worse than losing Portis, IMO...

Archived