Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brunell is NOT done

Karlton79

These are the exact types of posts that get people labeled "fair weather fan". This is what a troll would respond with. If you think he's done, why don't you tell us WHY you think he's done, and substantiate your argument with fact rather than a drive by post?

I don't think Brunell is done, but some of the passes he's thrown have been ugly. His arm is definitely not what it used to be, but we don't need a Peyton Manning with the way our offense is stacked. Besides, I think his decision making more than makes up for it. So what if he's not a gun slinger anymore. Some people trash him because he has a tendency to throw the ball out of bounds if nothing develops. I prefer that over leading the league in INT's like Favre did last year.

Bullcarp.

I'm not a fair weather fan, and I have my questions about Brunell.

I've watched two years in a row how his body tires over the season. The Bucs game? The Seattle game? He had chances to throw the ball, and chose not to because he didn't have the throw in his body. He chose not to. You want to say he's not forcing things and making good decisions. Well, at least part of that was him not trusting his arm.

He tried to throw the ball out of bounds this preseason, couldn't get it there, it got intercepted and Portis got hurt.

At the very least that's a bad decision on his part.

Yes. I have my concerns about Brunell.

With the single exception of the 2 hail mary throws against the Cowboys last year, the Defense and Clinton Portis carried this team. As a matter of fact, the defense carried the team in both Dallas games anyway. Remember the Defense gave up exactly 1 TD in that hail mary game.

:nono: Hail mary throws? Selective memory, eh?

Mark doesn't seem to recognize blitzes as evidenced that he gets sacked by BLITZERS so frequesntly, as opposed to Peyton Manning who IS supersmart.
As witnessed when the Colts got beat in the playoffs and Peyton actually blamed his O-Line for NOT BLOCKING? Oh, the shock of it all. :doh:
Campbell will be in there before the end of the year, if for no other reason Brunell will get killed.....by BLITZERS that he cannot recognize. He was saved last year because we ran a conservative offense and he just handed off a lot. With this new passing offense, he will be exposed much more. Sorry Charlie.

:nono: Apparently you haven't read any of the interviews with our OC where he specifically stated he did not give his starting QB any extra blocking from the RBs and TEs even on blitzes. Sorry Misterfan. You're wrong across the board.

Mark has a problem with accurace as evidenced by his 50 percent passer rating in the pre season, which has nothing to do with vanilla or strawberry or chocolate.

Hmm..nothing to do with the vanilla offense? I do believe vanilla is the same as basic. Basic plays over and over are not gonna get you ANYWHERE! That's what we've been running. It's way too easy to defend against a vanilla offense...That's why he's throwing at a 45% completion rate and a 48 QB rating. Could he have made a few more completions?..Sure..But, remember..we're not here to showcase our offense. We here to evaluate players. It's been said time and time again.

With the single exception of the 2 hail mary throws against the Cowboys last year, the Defense and Clinton Portis carried this team. As a matter of fact, the defense carried the team in both Dallas games anyway. Remember the Defense gave up exactly 1 TD in that hail mary game.

The QB gets way too much blame or too much credit on winning teams with a great defense. Mark is not super smart, just experienced. He doens't make good decisions as evidenced by that int where Portis was injured. Mark doesn't seem to recognize blitzes as evidenced that he gets sacked by BLITZERS so frequesntly, as opposed to Peyton Manning who IS supersmart. And Mark has a problem with accurace as evidenced by his 50 percent passer rating in the pre season, which has nothing to do with vanilla or strawberry or chocolate.

Campbell will be in there before the end of the year, if for no other reason Brunell will get killed.....by BLITZERS that he cannot recognize. He was saved last year because we ran a conservative offense and he just handed off a lot. With this new passing offense, he will be exposed much more. Sorry Charlie.

Few points you did not mention...Peyton Manning is the smartest

CHOKE ARTIST in the NFL. Nuff on that.

Blambing the offensive woes on Brunnel for last year is stupid. He had one

person who could get open last year and by the middle of the

season EVERY single team in the NFL knew that and had him

totally covered up. Give him the same offensive weapons as Manning

had and he would have looked like a freaking genius. :doh:

Bullcarp.

I'm not a fair weather fan, and I have my questions about Brunell.

I've watched two years in a row how his body tires over the season. The Bucs game? The Seattle game? He had chances to throw the ball, and chose not to because he didn't have the throw in his body. He chose not to. You want to say he's not forcing things and making good decisions. Well, at least part of that was him not trusting his arm.

He tried to throw the ball out of bounds this preseason, couldn't get it there, it got intercepted and Portis got hurt.

At the very least that's a bad decision on his part.

Yes. I have my concerns about Brunell.

Number one, re-read my post. I never said you are a fair weather fan just for disagreeing about Brunell, so I'll see your "bullcarp" and raise you 2 more.

As for "choosing not to".....Do you honestly believe he was incapable of passing the ball, either mentally or physically, and Joe Gibbs would have left him on the field? Sorry, I find that pill hard to swallow. Even still, at least he knows limitations. Regardless, that's speculation at best, but it's your opinion.

As for an interception in preseason; Uhhhh, who hasn't thrown INT's in preseason? And are you honestly blaming Brunell for the Portis injury? :doh: Portis can only blame one person for that, and that is himself. But, whatever you do, don't let Brunell's numbers from last year dissuade you from your argument that he's a bad QB. Would I love a Peyton, Brady, or Palmer on this team? Hell yes! But there's only a small percentage of teams in this league with top-tier QB's. I'd say we have an above average one, and one that Gibbs is comfortable with, and that has been the recipe for success in 2 of our 3 SuperBowl Championships.

Brunell is a good QB. He is more than just a game manager. He can make big plays too. The second half of last season when his numbers dropped off, that was because we ran the ball a lot more. His injury last year was a fluke injury that can happen to any QB. He was hit in the knee by an unblocked blitzer. In the Patriots game, the o-line were horrid in protection.

So for those who want to be critical on Brunell's playoff performance last year, please explain to me why a QB in last year's probowl (Jake Delhomme) had such a horrid performance in the NFC Championship. Brunell played better in Seattle than Jake did. 36 is not that old for a QB. Some of you haters need to get a grip. It's like so many people ignore his positives and focus on his few mistakes and age. It's sad really.

Lets be real. Brunnell played well for the last four minutes of the Dallas game and for a few games after that. Before and since he his play was pretty horrid. Portis and the defense really carried us on the five game winning streak with Brunnell just hanging on to the coat tails for a ride. I’m not sure we have any options but to live and die with Brunnell but lets not try to blow smoke up everyone’s *** by saying how good he is. Brunnell is by far the biggest question mark on this team and his teams success this year is heavily dependent upon a QB who’s had far more bad games then good.

:nono: Hail mary throws? Selective memory, eh?

As witnessed when the Colts got beat in the playoffs and Peyton actually blamed his O-Line for NOT BLOCKING? Oh, the shock of it all. :doh:

:nono: Apparently you haven't read any of the interviews with our OC where he specifically stated he did not give his starting QB any extra blocking from the RBs and TEs even on blitzes. Sorry Misterfan. You're wrong across the board.

My my my, where do I start. Hail Mary throws are selective Memorty? You are the one who is not paying attention. Just watch that game again.YES! 2hail mary throws won that game in which Mark was very ineffective otherwise.

You want to make a point about the Colts by speaking about ONE game. Son, you need to start doing what I am doing. Take a persons whole season into account before you start to cite facts. Taking a one game example makes you look silly.

And I have no idea what Saunders talking about philosophy has to do with Brunell not recognizing blitzes. Even if Saunders doens't have extra blockers in, then Mark or ANY QB is still responsible for recognizing a blitz and changing a play or dumping the ball quicker. That has nothing to do with extra blockers because if you had enough blockers, then a QB wouldn't have to change the play....now would he. You better read some more football magazines before you try any more rebuttles.

Lets be real. Brunnell played well for the last four minutes of the Dallas game and for a few games after that. Before and since he his play was pretty horrid. Portis and the defense really carried us on the five game winning streak with Brunnell just hanging on to the coat tails for a ride. I’m not sure we have any options but to live and die with Brunnell but lets not try to blow smoke up everyone’s *** by saying how good he is. Brunnell is by far the biggest question mark on this team and his teams success this year is heavily dependent upon a QB who’s had far more bad games then good.

So, his numbers that could/should have put him in the probowl last year all came from a few games? That seems odd... and impressive if it were true.

I appreciate blanket statements as much as the next guy, but how do you know he's "had far more bad games then good"? Maybe you mean as a redskin only? Wouldn't you say his performance last year kind of cemented the fact that 04 was a bit of an anomaly?

With that said, it was definitely the D and run game that got us to the playoffs, but he didn't hurt us (except for a couple/few games near the end). In addition, I'm with you that he is the biggest question mark for the team this year. :2cents:

My my my, where do I start. Hail Mary throws are selective Memorty? You are the one who is not paying attention. Just watch that game again.YES! 2hail mary throws won that game in which Mark was very ineffective otherwise.

You want to make a point about the Colts by speaking about ONE game. Son, you need to start doing what I am doing. Take a persons whole season into account before you start to cite facts. Taking a one game example makes you look silly.

And I have no idea what Saunders talking about philosophy has to do with Brunell not recognizing blitzes. Even if Saunders doens't have extra blockers in, then Mark or ANY QB is still responsible for recognizing a blitz and changing a play or dumping the ball quicker. That has nothing to do with extra blockers because if you had enough blockers, then a QB wouldn't have to change the play....now would he. You better read some more football magazines before you try any more rebuttles.

Stop riding Mannings jock. Those were not hail mary's.

Stop riding Mannings jock. Those were not hail mary's.

OK..you're right. Those 2 throws in the Dallas game were throws in which Mark went back, closed his eyes, threw it as far as he could possibly throw it, and then he did NOT pray. But they came down anyway.

Hail Mary's are when you launch the ball as far as you can and you pray that one of your players in the area catches it. Brunell's passes to Moss were placed perfectly past 2 defenders. Im not saying that this is something pivotal, in the overall discussion, but there definitely is a distinction between what Brunell did and a Hail Mary.

So, let me get this straight. When we do well, when the passing game makes plays, Brunell did it by accident and the player's around him were responsible. When we don't do well, Mark failed, should've thrown the ball and got open for the receiver. Excellent. I've learned something about football today. Apparently (and I never knew this before), the play of the rest of the offense has no bearing on wether or not a QB succeeds. No mention of Santana dropping a pass or the O-line whiffing completely on blocks, that's not a factor, Brunell should just stiff arm DEs to the ground and find a way to achieve preseason glory. Thanks for the lesson on football, I really feel as though I've grown today.

:laugh: Those were two PERFECT passes. Period.

Wait now. You used Manning as an example of how a "Supersmart" QB recognizes blitzes. I am saying you are dead wrong because the Colts O-Line is usually exceptional and when it broke down your "Supersmart" example hung his own O-Line out to dry. He said nothing about himself not recognizing blitzes even though he was sacked countless times that particular game.

The insults really aren't necessary but if they makes you feel better about yourself keep them coming. :silly: If you actually took some time to read what the coaches and players are saying you would realize how foolish you sound. You think since last year the O-Line cannot block? That our QB can no longer recognize a blitz even when telegraphed and he doesn't know how to audible anymore? Now you look silly.

So, let me get this straight. When we do well, when the passing game makes plays, Brunell did it by accident and the player's around him were responsible. When we don't do well, Mark failed, should've thrown the ball and got open for the receiver. Excellent. I've learned something about football today. Apparently (and I never knew this before), the play of the rest of the offense has no bearing on wether or not a QB succeeds. No mention of Santana dropping a pass or the O-line whiffing completely on blocks, that's not a factor, Brunell should just stiff arm DEs to the ground and find a way to achieve preseason glory. Thanks for the lesson on football, I really feel as though I've grown today.

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Now that's a quality observation! :thumbsup:

Brunell is my favorite on the skins. I agree, he is not done. I think it's just funny that everybody wishes that Campbell be the starter this year. Well they should really be wishing for another losing season, because that's what you'd get by throwing an inexperienced, rookie quarterback in, especially since we have one of the tougher seasons this year. I think Brunell will throw more touchdowns this year than last year.

I think most people are not wishing for Campbell to start, we just want to see him run with the 1st team. Me and other fans alike want to rate Campbell's progress. Because sooner or later he is going to have to step out on the field. And I think this kid has the tools to take us where we want to go. You know, the Steelers and their fans thought the same thing when Big Ben played his first game, and all he did was lead them to a 15-1 record, and won the Super Bowl the following year. I am not saying that Campbell will give us those same results, all I am saying is give him a chance to show what he can do. And if you really think about it, he has better physical skills than Big Ben.

If this exact situation were happening in the REGULAR Season, and the Skins were 2-3 then I would be on board with the Brunell is done part of this thread. IF he was playing poorly like he is now in PRE-Season. Lets look at the word Pre-season, as in BEFORE THE SEASON.

Everyone needs to relax.

You are all basing your Anti-Brunell hatred off of 3 pre-season games. Some of you are basing it off the 2nd half of last year. Let it go man, you'll feel better. Food will taste better, the sun will be brighter... etc.

Brunell in the playoffs had 2 options. Moss, and Cooley. The Bucs KNEW it and did a good job shutting it down and Seattle knew it and still had trouble shutting it down. The Skins were One interception by Carlos Rogers away from making that game VERY interesting. Yet you want to bash Brunell for having no one to throw the football to? Portis was shut down in both playoff games my friends. He didn't have a good game against the bucs or the hawks and that wasn't his fault either. It was the offensive line's fault - due to injuries. They were shredded and playing guys like Raymer who looked like he didn't even want to be in the game. If you want to blame ANYONE for the way Brunell played last season, you can look at the O-Line.

Archived