Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Play-by-Play for Backup O-Line in Bengals Game

ouvan59

I went back and watched the game on TIVO paying special attention to how the backups looked individually. I decided to break down what each lineman did on each play. So far I have from third series of the game until halftime.

1st and 10 at Wash 39 (plays is started by the time TV gets back so hard to see initial blocks)

Cartwright runs off tackle left

Walter - pushes DE into the middle

Ndukwe - effectively holds DT in the middle taking him out of the play

Pucillo - takes other DT out of the play

Harvey – hits second level and takes on LB and takes him out of play

Alston – pushes DE down the line towards the ball carrier but no factor

Play results in 2 yard loss because Patten whiffs on his block and DB makes tackle

2nd and 12 at Wash 37

Collins throws weak interception

Walter – takes on DE and pushes him to the ground towards the middle

Ndukwe – teams with Pucillo on DT and effectively take him out (unfortunately he picks off pass near line of scrimmage)

Pucillo – teams with Ndukwe on DT, releases to set up screen

Harvey – DT stunts with DE and runs Harvey into Alston

Alston – DE stunts with DT and run Harvey into Alston

1st and 10 at Wash 2

Max protect short out to Sellers. Bengals rush 6

Walter – Initially helps TE on #93 but then takes on blitzing LB and pushes him out of play

Ndukwe – Teams with Pucillo and neutralizes DT

Pucillo – Teams with Ndukwe and neutralizes DT

Harvey – Takes on DT by himself and does effective job

Alston – Takes on LB who pulls up short

2nd and 9 at Wash 3

Cartwright off tackle left gain of 2

Walter – pulls left and pushes LB out of play. Fauria cracks back on DE

Ndukwe – blows off the line and pushes DT back out of play

Pucillo – pulls left and stumbles which makes him late getting to the hole. Sellers is forced to block his man

Harvey – LB is his responsibility but he is late getting there and doesn’t block anyone until after Cartwright is down

Alston ? – Cuts down on the other DT taking him out

3rd and 7 at Wash 5

Collins with weak throw away in endzone for safety

Walter – DE and DT stunt. Walter initially falls for it but gets out in time to push DT towards back of endzone

Ndukwe – Stays with DE and does a pretty good job

Pucillo – Nobody comes up the middle. Picks up DE on right side late

Harvey – Gets flat out beat by DT, picks up DE who Alston had forced inside

Alston – DE goes towards outside and gets chipped by White. Gets tunnel vision as DT runs by him after his man took inside route

1st and 10 at Wash 20

Carter runs up middle for gain of 4

Walter – Pushes DE out of the play

Ndukwe- LB is his responsibility. Whiffs but LB effectively takes himself out of the play by avoiding him

Pucillo – Locks up with DT and neutralizes him.

Harvey – Initially takes on the DT and does a good job. Releases him to Pino to take out a LB. Harvey’s first really good block of the night

Pino – Gets too far off the line and is late getting to DT who Harvey had released to him.

2nd and 6 at Wash 24

Carter runs off tackle right for no gain

Walter – chips DE and gets into next level.

Ndukwe – locks up DT well. His man gets in on play but only because others blew up the play.

Pucillo – pulls right and does a pretty good job avoiding Harvey who falls on his face. Takes out LB

Harvey – Gets knocked on his butt in the backfield which essential blows up the play

Pino – Tries to drive block but gets pushed backwards.

3rd and 6 at Wash 24

Cincy jumps offsides

3rd and 1 at Wash 29

Collins tripped tring to hand off for loss of 3

Walter – Drive blocks DE four yards into Bengals backfield.

Ndukwe – Chips DE and then takes out LB

Pucillo – Gets pushed back a yard and his man gets to Collins. He also is the one that steps on him.

Harvey – Very weak chip of DT and whiff on LB

Pino – Again gets pushed into backfield on drive block.

1st and 10 at Wash 24

Collins short pass batted down at line, intended for Buck Ortega

Walter – DE drops into coverage, DT takes outside rush and Walter busts him right in the chops and pushes him back.

Ndukwe – Follows DT with his first step then goes back inside to help Pucillo with other DT.

Pucillo – Gets driven back about three yards by DT.

Harvey – Picks up blitzing LB albeit a little late as he gets into Collins face

Pino – He takes on the DE. Hard to say how well he did because DE read play well and didn’t really try to get to the QB. Knocked down the pass

2nd and 10 at Wash 24

Draw to Carter for loss of 5

Walter – Bluffs pass block and then bulls DE out of the play.

Ndukwe – DT takes him into the backfield but Ndukwe keeps him shielded from ball carrier

Pucillo – Teams with Harvey to neutralize DT. Releases on the fly to take out blitzing LB. Good play

Harvey – Teams with Pucillo to neutralize DT. Good play.

Pino – Gaithers makes Pino his *****. Blows up play for big loss.

3rd and 15 at Wash 19

Collins nice 19 yard completion to Espy

Walter – Takes on DE and does good job.

Ndukwe – Takes on DT and does good job

Pucillo – Gives Harvey backup to start and then Ndukwe

Harvey – Takes on DT and does good job

Pino – Gaithers again abuses him but not quickly enough to get to Collins. Bluffs speed rush to the outside and then tosses Pino aside and takes it inside.

1st and 10 at Wash 38

Carter carries to the left for gain of 4 (Portis gets 7 or 8 yards on this one)

Walter – Drive blocks DT two yards back before taking his legs out and then pushing him inside out of the play

Ndukwe – Helps with DT initially and then takes out DE coming from back side.

Pucillo – Takes on other DT and does great job initially neutralizing him and then pushing him downfield.

Harvey – Pulls left and gets into hole and bowls into LB taking him out

Pino – His job is to seal off DE from penetrating on backside. Does good job initially but then sort of gives up on the play and his man makes the tackle coming down the line.

2nd and 6 at Wash 42

Carter runs right for gain of 3

Can’t really tell exactly what happens on the line on most of this one because they are late coming back and the ball is snapped. Walter, Harvey and a TE are in a pile on the left side. Pucillo pulls and takes out LB. Pino does a good job pushing the DE out of the play.

3rd and 3 at Wash 45

Collins throws incomplete down left sideline to Espy

Walter – Takes DE by himself who pushes him into backfield.

Ndukwe – teams with Pucillo on DT who cuts towards middle away from Ndukwe

Pucillo – teams with Ndukwe on DT who bulls Pucillo into backfield. Pucillo eventually is able to hold his ground two yards back

Harvey – DT tries to beat him towards the inside but Harvey pushes him along the line out of the play

Pino – DE getting in the habit of speed rush bluff and then tossing Pino aside. If Collins doesn’t throw it quickly he gets hammered

1st and 10 at Wash 34

Collins short flare pass to Carter for 2 yards

Walter – Walter stones DE keeping him from getting in passing lane.

Ndukwe – Takes on DT and does good job.

Pucillo – Helps chip on both DTs

Harvey – Takes on DT and does good job.

Pino – Holds off DE, who recognizes play early on and sprints down the line after Carter

2nd and 8 at Wash 36

Carter runs off tackle right for no gain

Walter – Cuts DE and takes him out

Ndukwe – DT slips his block and gets penetration but doesn’t get to Carter.

Pucillo – Pulls and takes out LB

Harvey – Gets absolutely manhandled by DT who blows up play forcing it to go way outside.

Pino – Gives DE to TE (Johnson does good job) and takes out LB

3rd and 8 at Wash 36

Collins out of shotgun hits Espy for 20 yards near right sideline, Bengals blitz two DBs off left side.

Walter – Takes DE outside and neutralizes him with help of Nemo. Also chips on one of the DBs.

Ndukwe – teams with Pucillo on DT, coaches will probably chastise him for not recognizing blitz to his left.

Pucillo – teams with Ndukwe to neutralize DT.

Harvey – DT over top of him takes outside rush around the end. He ends up helping Pucillo

Pino - DE over him drops into coverage. Good job picking up DT coming around.

1st and 10 at Cin 45

Collins incomplete short over the middle to Carter

Walter – Does good job staying in front of DE who tries spin move.

Ndukwe – chips on DT over Pucillo and then hammers DE after spin move on Walter

Pucillo – Stones DT

Harvey – Does good job with bull rush from DT

Pino – DE pushes him back and then tosses him aside. Collins sees DE coming and dumps it to Carter

2nd and 10 at Cin 45

Carter tap dances for 1. View from behind shows huge hole that he misses running to the other side into the defense.

Walter – Engages DE and ties him up.

Ndukwe – Gives DT to Pucillo and pancakes LB creating huge hole

Pucillo – Lets DT’s momentum take him out of the play opening huge hole.

Harvey – Does a good job getting downfield to LB but then is just tossed aside letting him into the play

Pino – Pushes DT down the line and out of play.

3rd and 9 at Cin 44

Collins hits Thrash for a 22 yard completion over the middle

Walter – DE & DT stunt but Walter and Ndukwe do great job of recognizing it and picking it up. Walter ends up throwing him back like a ragdoll.

Ndukwe – See above

Pucillo – Helps Ndukwe with DE.

Harvey – Does a good job holding off DT until Carter actually chips him free. Good pursuit to get back after him though.

Pino – DE tries the old stand-by move over pushing him back and then throwing him aside but Pino holds on a little longer. His balance overall looks atrocious though.

1st and 10 at Cin 22

Carter up the middle for loss of 1 (Carter blows out knee in process)

Walter – Cuts down on DT trying to push him down the line. DT makes tackle after Carter tries to cut.

Ndukwe – goes out after LB getting in his way but not a great effort

Pucillo – Manhandles the other DT pushing him out of the play

Harvey – goes out after LB but ends up taking on the SS

Pino – Does a good job on the DE completely eliminating him.

2nd and 11 at Cin 23

Rock runs off tackle left for 3 yards

Walter – Bulls DE out of the play

Ndukwe – Chips on DT before getting onto LB and pushing him back three yards.

Pucillo – DT gets the better of him taking the play down the line and making the tackle.

Harvey – Goes out after LB and makes a nice block on pursuing LB.

Pino – Tries to cut down on DT but gets flat out beat.

3rd and 8 at Cin 20

Collins incomplete on low pass to Thrash (who I think should have had it)

Walter – DE takes speed rush to the outside. Walter pushes him around the back.

Ndukwe – DT tries bull rush but it stood up at the line

Pucillo – Watches for blitzers but eventually helps Harvey with DT.

Harvey – Stones DT at the line following him into the middle.

Pino – DE takes outside route and is handled by Robert Johnson. Pino looks for blitzers but blocks nobody. FYI: DE tries same move that has been abusing Pino but Johnson handles it well.

1st and 10 at Wash 27

Collins throws incomplete over the middle to Thrash

Walter – DE first tries outside rush and tries to cut towards QB but is stood up.

Ndukwe – Takes on DT by himself and stones him.

Pucillo – Helps both guards but not much needed.

Harvey – DT tries bull rush but Harvey does good job holding him back

Pino - DE just pushes him back into Collins and then tosses him aside. Again poor footwork. Collins forced to throw it early.

2nd and 10 at Wash 27

Cartwright off left side for loss of 1

Walter – Pushes DE back Cartwright stuttersteps onlong the line and runs into him

Ndukwe – Doesn’t get level on LB who slides into the hole and blows up the play

Pucillo – Does a good job neutralizing DT

Harvey – Gets to LB and pushes him out of the play

Pino – His best play of the half. Pushes DE ten yards downfield.

3rd and 11 at Wash 26

Collins hits Rock on short sideline route for gain of 5

Walter – Handles DE with a little help from Ndukwe and then picks up DT on stunt. Good play.

Ndukwe – Helps with DE and DT

Pucillo – Starts with DT ends up helping Ndukwe with DE.

Harvey – Stones DT who then stunts with DE both are picked up with help from TE

Pino – Helps Harvey initially on DT then DE.

After doing the breakdown I would say that most of the lines struggles come down to three players, Chris Pino, Jon Alston and Jasper Harvey. Tyson Walter I would go so far as to say he was good. Pucillo and Ndukwe weren't too bad but they had some issues.

Almost every play that went wrong was because the right side of the line. Pino in particular was terrible.

Holy crap. Great work. So it looks like across the board there were some really positive things but too many negatives to be effective. Looks like there were too many times when four of the guys would handle their man but one would not making the play end in a loss. Harvey it seems gets beat way too often.

Yeah, I had a hard time reading the whole analysis. Since you did the work, how would you grade the individual backups overall?

Tyson Walter - B Did a very good job in pass protection. Not a dominating run blocker but effective.

Ikechuku Ndukwe - C+ Also did a good job in pass protection but wasn't left alone as often as Walter. Had some very good run blocks but didn't always square up on his man.

Mike Pucillo - C-Again good in pass protection but looks like he needs to get stronger. Handled the 2nd stringers but I have a feeling the really good DTs would eat his lunch.

Jasper Harvey - D Doesn't look like it comes natural. Got easily fooled by stunts. Strong enough but appeared slow to react.

Jon Alston - F Hard to grade because he was only in for 5 plays two of which were bad. Got fooled badly on two stunts.

Chris Pino - F -- Terrible on footwork and balance. Stands way too high. Looks slow in run blocking as well. Buh-bye.

:applause:...Nice to have a logical and reasonable discussion about how the O-line backups did, instead of all the kneejerk reactions passing as analysis...Great work.

That's the reason I did it. It's so hard to grade a line watching it live so I wanted to go back and see how each one did on each play. The fact is that you aren't going to need 4 good backup lineman. You really only need a couple for the most part.

One thing I didn't note in my writeup was the blocking of the TE's and RBs. For the most part the RBs were not kept in to block. The other thing I noticed. Robert Johnson did a friggin great job pass blocking. Several times he was locked in one-on-one with the DE that was giving Pino fits and he handled him with ease. He showed good balance and quickness.

That's the reason I did it. It's so hard to grade a line watching it live so I wanted to go back and see how each one did on each play. The fact is that you aren't going to need 4 good backup lineman. You really only need a couple for the most part.

One thing I didn't note in my writeup was the blocking of the TE's and RBs. For the most part the RBs were not kept in to block. The other thing I noticed. Robert Johnson did a friggin great job pass blocking. Several times he was locked in one-on-one with the DE that was giving Pino fits and he handled him with ease. He showed good balance and quickness.

You did a really good job man. I love Tivo so much, especially HD because you can really get a good look at stuff.

I was watching Rocky last night and it was awesome, I watched Walter a bit too and was more impressed with him guarding Collins' blindside than many others (including 980 talk idiots - I mean you B-Mitch :silly: ) thought.

If Robert Johnson can stay healthy for his first time in the NFL, I think he can become a very good TE

I'd also like to add that IMO the running backs had quite a bit to do with the lack of a running game as well. Carter and Rock both danced and stutter stepped way too much instead of hitting the hole. There were a couple of plays I think that Clinton Portis breaks for a long gain.

:applause: Awesome job. THAT is the kind of reasonable and rational analysis that I enjoy reading here. Not the lame analysis posted so often based on one or two highlights shown by the Network.

Thanks for all the hard work. Want to do it again this week for the Jets game? :D

"That's the reason I did it. It's so hard to grade a line watching it live so I wanted to go back and see how each one did on each play."

I wish Bugel would review this site sometime. I bet he did the very same thing you did. I'd love to get some in-depth feedback from him...one can wish right?

Archived