Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Johnny Punani......... Carbs

Pete

Here's a simple carb brake down and part list to look at. You have flat slide CV (constant volicity) carbs. The pic has standard round slides, or vacuum pistond as the brits call them. All the parts are basically the same.

OK, this is how they work. When you twist the throttle, the butterfly opens allowing more air to flow into the carb. The increase of air flow will draw a little more fuel up through the main jet, which will make the engine turn faster. This causes a greater vaccum at the throat of the carb. There is a large opening in the throat which is a direct passage to the diaphragm. Some of the air being sucked into the carb due to the increase in vacuum goes into this port. This causes the diaphragm to be pushed, or sucked upwards. Being the diaphragm is attached to the slide, the slide moves up.

The slide raising does two things. First, it allows more air to flow through the carb. Second, it lifts the jet needle. The jet needle sits in the main jet, and as it raises, it flows more fuel making the engine turn faster.

I'll send you a pm shortly. I looked at the diagram you sent also.

1 Cover, Diaphragm

2 Screw, Diaphragm

3 Spring, Vacuum Piston

4 Jet Needle, N3RF STD

5 Seat, Piston Spring

6 Vacuum Piston, 2.5mm ( Slide with diaphragm, or throttle valve)

7 Kit, Choke Valve

8 Needle jet

9 Main Jet,

10 Kit, PILOT SCREW

11 Kit, Float Valve

12 Plug, Pilot Screw

13 Kit, Float STD

14 Seal, Float Bowl

15 Screw, Float Bowl STD

16 Screw, Float Chamber Drain STD

17 Stop screw STD

18 Washer STD

19 Lever STD

20 Screw, Float Chamber Drain STD

21 Spring

22 Spring

23 Spring

24 T-FITTING

25 T-FITTING

26 U-RING

27 Cap, Vacuum Connection

28 Rubber tube

29 Spring, Idle Adjuster

I miss my car. 5 years of hard work, all gone in about .3 seconds.

Okay, you are officially banned from posting in the "Advice for my drivers test" thread. :laugh:

Is this thread trying to win the most random thread award? Wait a second, no chance it'll beat some of Mickalino's gems.

Okay, you are officially banned from posting in the "Advice for my drivers test" thread. :laugh:

Is this thread trying to win the most random thread award? Wait a second, no chance it'll beat some of Mickalino's gems.

Johnny has a bike with some problems. We have been going back and forth via PM, but I needed to show him a diagram so we could use the same tremanology. You can't do attachments with PM's, so this was the easiest way around it.

:cheers:

Johnny has a bike with some problems. We have been going back and forth via PM, but I needed to show him a diagram so we could use the same tremanology. You can't do attachments with PM's, so this was the easiest way around it.

:cheers:

Gotcha. Either way, I didn't know the in's and out's of a carb. At least now I know what one looks like. :doh: :laugh: :cheers:

Gotcha. Either way, I didn't know the in's and out's of a carb. At least now I know what one looks like. :doh: :laugh: :cheers:

An automotive carb is extremely different, if you can find one these days. Even in the motorcycle industry, your finding fewer and fewer.

Same design but they're Dellorto's. The car originally was fuel injection but when I changed engines I switched to the carbs. I liked it a lot better with the carbs.

that car looks like a mid 80's cabriolet. a customer recently tried to trade me an '87 for a deck. I was going to do it until I drove it, it was one of the most ill handling cars. It had the mystery shifter (manual) and horrible brakes. You must of spent some serious money on suspension and brakes.

that car looks like a mid 80's cabriolet. a customer recently tried to trade me an '87 for a deck. I was going to do it until I drove it, it was one of the most ill handling cars. It had the mystery shifter (manual) and horrible brakes. You must of spent some serious money on suspension and brakes.

Not as much as you would think, parts are incredibly cheap for that car. I had upgraded front discs from a Scirocco 16V for brakes. For the suspension, brand new control arms, tie rods, ball joints, strut bearings and polyurethane control arm bushings, rear trailing arm bushings and steering rack bushings ran me $250. It also had Bilstien sport shocks, H&R race springs, removed front sway bar (gave it just a touch of oversteer that way) and a 25mm rear sway bar. Also, upper and lower front strut tie bars. The suspension was the best part about the car and it handled amazingly. No body lean at all and very balanced, predictable handling with just a touch of controlled oversteer at the limits. It was fairly quick (about 150hp in a 2100lb car) but the handling is what made it so much fun. Oh well, time to start all over again :D . I guess I might as well consider it a blessing in disguise, having a project to work on is always fun. I'll be acquiring an engine-less 84 Rabbit GTi shell to start on in the next few weeks.

Pete, I checked the vacum pistons and they all seemed to work fine. No sticking and all moved in unison. I took the carbs to a local motorcycle shop and they think it might be the idle pin/pins that are clogged? Anyway, they are going to take a look at it and install a jet kit in it as well considering Vance & Hines recomends I do that.

Now, I am going to have to remember where to re-install all the hoses for the friggin' thing.

BTW, the fairings and tank are in the body shop and should be done in a couple days. I'm getting it painted racing yellow and bought a black decal kit from tapeworks for the F3. I should look schweet when it's finished...

Pete, I checked the vacum pistons and they all seemed to work fine. No sticking and all moved in unison. I took the carbs to a local motorcycle shop and they think it might be the idle pin/pins that are clogged? Anyway, they are going to take a look at it and install a jet kit in it as well considering Vance & Hines recomends I do that.

Now, I am going to have to remember where to re-install all the hoses for the friggin' thing.

BTW, the fairings and tank are in the body shop and should be done in a couple days. I'm getting it painted racing yellow and bought a black decal kit from tapeworks for the F3. I should look schweet when it's finished...

Is this a honda 600?

Hard to judge a whole model based on one car. That Cabrio is based on the same platform as the original GTI which drove darn well. Anytime you get a car that old, it's not going to be perfect though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwbiggs

Its a big block 440...in a Dodge Challenger.

Dan

Niiiiiisch! 4 speed? Mopars are worth a fortune these days. Some day my

'70 442 convert will eclipe $50k. It'll be a couple more years

442 vert...sweeeet! I love those 442's....any pics? I came close to buying a '69 442 vert a few years back.

Sorta hijacked this thread didn't we? Apologies to original poster. :doh:

Oh...Challenger is an auto. Sold a '70 Road Runner 4 speed last year.

Dan

Archived