Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Johnny Punani......... Carbs

Pete

442 vert...sweeeet! I love those 442's....any pics? I came close to buying a '69 442 vert a few years back.

Sorta hijacked this thread didn't we? Apologies to original poster. :doh:

Oh...Challenger is an auto. Sold a '70 Road Runner 4 speed last year.

Dan

haven't mastered the hosting/posting pics thing yet. I will soon.

what made you sell the road chicken?

what made you sell the road chicken?

Well...it wasn't my favorite color and there were some issues with body that I really didn't want to spend money on. Needed the money to paint Challenger and start on my other project car...'66 GTO. Here is a pic or two of RR.

Dan

:rubeyes: This talk of carbs brings a tear to my eye. I grew up on carbs, but now everything is fuel injection.

Think will go in the shop and talk to a tech that remembers carbs. We can

have a trip down memory lane. :laugh:

My instructor at Triumph told us old carb guys to "Step into the Light" :laugh:

Fuel injection is evil.................. :laugh: I just had a bike kick me arse with a drivability problem. Even the factory guys couldn't figure it out, but I got it going right this afternoon. Thank God I'm not flat rate :silly:

FI may be better in many ways, but you can still work on a carb on the side of the road. Roumer has it that all Triumphs will be injected for 07 :(

cool. I'm dying for street bike.

You need to find the nearest Triumph dealer and see if they have a demo 675 Daytona. Test rides don't cost a thing, and you'll be in love with a few miles. It's pretty much blown away all the 06 middle weight sport bikes. I sold my last one out of seven alotted to us yesterday. It has a 123 CHP rating, is ultra narrow, and handels like it's on rails. Tops out at about 150MPH. It's a wild little bugger. Triples have the nicest sound with a pipe :D

Johnny, glad your having a shop do the jetting. The air/fuel passages could be clogged, but that wouldn't account for the excess gas sitting in the intakes. Can't wait to see it done.

I'm doing a few things to my Bonnie. Triumph came out with a line of goodies called "68" They have a nice set of stuff for the black Bonnies, but it cost a fortune. Of course, I can duplicate most of the stuff myself. I'll post some pics once it's done in a week or so. I have a little cutting and painting to do. ;)

:rubeyes: This talk of carbs brings a tear to my eye. I grew up on carbs, but now everything is fuel injection.

Think will go in the shop and talk to a tech that remembers carbs. We can

have a trip down memory lane. :laugh:

I did the opposite of you and you know, I was a little worried about going to carbs with all the horror stories I'd heard about keeping them tuned. Turns out it was the best thing I ever did to that car. I'm hooked on em now, my next project will certainly ditch the FI for carbs, best mod I ever did to a car.

Pete,

The stuff in the intakes wasn't gas. It was carb cleaner. That won't eat the valves with they?

BTW, is Torco synthetic good engine oil for Bikes?

Carb cleaner........... OK, I feel better now. No it won't bother the valves. It should evaporate fairly fast.

I've never used Torco. I have heard some horror stories about Torco and Red Line. The only synthetics I've used are Motul semi synthetic, and Mobile-1 full synthetic. The Mobile-1 is what is used in the Triumphs, and the Motul is what I ran in my race engines.

I don't use synthetic unless the manufacturer requires it. Some of the synthetic oils are so slick, we've seen roller bearings slide instead of spining causing damage. I like Spectro, and Bel Ray oils for normal usage bikes. BMW is one of the strictest when it comes to oil, and all their oil in the US is made by Spectro for them. I've used Spectro for years, and it's never failed me. Like I said, as long as it has a J.S.O. rating your ok, be it standard or synthetic.

I did the opposite of you and you know, I was a little worried about going to carbs with all the horror stories I'd heard about keeping them tuned. Turns out it was the best thing I ever did to that car. I'm hooked on em now, my next project will certainly ditch the FI for carbs, best mod I ever did to a car.

Heard many times that my grandfather would tune a flat-head V8 Ford by

standing nickel on the head. When the nickel wouldn't move and stand

on it's own...engine was in perfect tune.

I grew up on Holley 4 barrels and every so often someone would have a

set of 1 Barrel Carbs.

It was weird (and despised) when Ford came with their Variable Venturi

Carb, which lead to throttle body fuel injection.

Well...it wasn't my favorite color and there were some issues with body that I really didn't want to spend money on. Needed the money to paint Challenger and start on my other project car...'66 GTO. Here is a pic or two of RR.

Dan

cool car, the paint is a nice copper color, but the reddish interior wouldn't work for me. you must have a sizable garage and time. do you do a lot of the work yourself?

cool car, the paint is a nice copper color, but the reddish interior wouldn't work for me. you must have a sizable garage and time. do you do a lot of the work yourself?

Actually the interior is more of a burnt orange. I have a 3 car garage with lift...but don't have much time. I do most everything except paint and machine work.

Dan

Archived