Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Santana Moss Best BIG play WR in NFL

3CardMonte

By Pat Kirwan

NFL.com Senior Analyst

link

Santana Moss, is under 5-10 and close to 180 pounds, but he leads the NFL in receiving yards, which is impressive, but not the most impressive accomplishment he has to date. Moss has 12 receptions of 20 yards or more. NFL people who study statistics pay very close attention to explosive plays and understand how much of a correlation there is between winning and explosive plays. Anyone who did their homework on Moss would know that this guy is one of the best in the business when it comes to receptions over 20 yards. Moss has more receptions over 20 yards than the Houston Texans and Buffalo Bills combined! Check out how Moss stacks up against the best in the business over the past three seasons (2003-05) in receptions to plus-20-yard ratio.

Santana Moss 1 every 3.7 receptions

Randy Moss 1 every 3.8 receptions

Terrell Owens 1 every 4.6 receptions

Torry Holt 1 every 5.7 receptions

Marvin Harrison 1 every 6.6 receptions

The Redskins were looking for a big-play receiver when they traded for Moss, and the little man is delivering in a big way.

Santana Moss 1 every 3.7 receptions

Randy Moss 1 every 3.8 receptions

Terrell Owens 1 every 4.6 receptions

Torry Holt 1 every 5.7 receptions

Marvin Harrison 1 every 6.6 receptions

As interesting as that is my 2nd thought on this list was:

No ring

No ring

No ring

One ring

No ring

Ladies and Gentlemen, introducing the spinner of all spinners.... :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

My third thought was:

Your second thought is pointless! ;)

HTTR!

Funny I was thinking the same thing. What is the point to his statement? There are losers born every minute. :doh:

No ring

No ring

No ring

One ring

No ring

ok...are you a Cowboys fan? Sure sounds like it. Football is a TEAM game. You cannot win with one great player. Of course any REAL football fan would know this.

:dallasuck

Way to take a comment way too seriously. Just being devils advocate...not bashing our MVP or any other receiver in this thread.

No worries dude. I was just messing with you. :silly: But you have to admit that is a comment a Cowboy fan would make because there are no Cowboys in the top five. T.O. doesn't count because he has not played one down with the 'Boys. That stat is from his other two teams.

I can see the dalass line of thought for sure. It is just funny to me how some stats can be useful and others just hype.

He could have had 50.6 plays per 20 yard catch but still broke dallass' back and became an instant Ring of Fame canidate to all of us.

Charley Taylor never won a Super Bowl either, but I wouldn't then rate him behind Alvin Garrett as a wide receiver :laugh:

The NFL is a TEAM game. It is not the NBA where 1 or 2 players can propel you to a championship on their abilities.

You need 40 plus guys all focused and contributing for a team to win the Super Bowl.

To hold it against any players' career to have not won a Super Bowl to me is ridiculous UNLESS he consistently was on championship caliber teams and HIS performance was one of the major reasons that team did not win :)

Ladies and Gentlemen, introducing the spinner of all spinners.... :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

My third thought was:

Your second thought is pointless! ;)

HTTR!

:laugh: seriously though, the stats are only stating big play recievers, not how dominating they are.

How come steve smith isn't on that list?

No ring

No ring

No ring

One ring

No ring

My thought on it was that with all the talent and additions to the coaching staff to go along with those stats Santana will have a ring at the end of this year.

:cheers:

just a reminder, that's an old article. at that point, santana moss was leading the receiving yards for the year, but steve smith bested him by the end of the season by a hundred yards or so.

I'm surprised you're the first one to have noticed this. Talk about putting spin on a topic LM12thM!

No ring

No ring

No ring

One ring

No ring

Honest to God, the next person who cites a players' lack of rings in any sport as a sign of their lack of ability should be sent to prison. A bad prison. Like Oz.

Message to the world: Peyton Manning is a better QB than Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson.

Alex Rodriquez is a better player than Derek Jeter.

Allen Iverson is better than Manu Ginobli.

Let's stop this nonsense. Rings mean you got drafted and/or signed with a very good team. That's all.

PS I think Steve Smith is the best big play receiver in football. Santana Moss is definitely in the conversation though.

Charley Taylor never won a Super Bowl either, but I wouldn't then rate him behind Alvin Garrett as a wide receiver :laugh:

The NFL is a TEAM game. It is not the NBA where 1 or 2 players can propel you to a championship on their abilities.

You need 40 plus guys all focused and contributing for a team to win the Super Bowl.

To hold it against any players' career to have not won a Super Bowl to me is ridiculous UNLESS he consistently was on championship caliber teams and HIS performance was one of the major reasons that team did not win :)

Two of the guys on that list, have serious character issues (which is even more important in my book)

The one guy who does have a ring played in the same system (and was coached by) Al Saunders is bringing to DC

just a reminder, that's an old article. at that point, santana moss was leading the receiving yards for the year, but steve smith bested him by the end of the season by a hundred yards or so.

Yeah, it's from October of last year...lol...not exactly sure why it's thread material 10 months later, especially when the stats given in the article are irrelevant and out of date now.

Archived