Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fidel Castro hands power to brother....

PresidentClinton07

Actually, I think we need to stay the hell out of it. Our "managing" Batista is what brought Castro to power in the first place. He has had half a century to brainwash those people against the US.

The Cuban people need to feel that they have created their own democracy and that their leaders are working in their interests alone. If it appears in any way that the US put a government in place the people will not trust it and it will fail.

It's just a matter of time. Communism is an utter failure, and in most cases rests entirely on a "cult of personality" based on an individual dictator or family. Fidel may not die today, but he will die soon, and within 10 years or so after that, the whole thing will fall apart.

Hannity and Colmes had that adviser to Clinton, Dick Morris I believe, and he said that if Castro hands over power permanently it would only take 6 months for the gov't to fall. And he seemed very confident in that statement.

Dan

lucky,

Perhaps I am mistaken but aren't we the only major power that holds such an embargo against Cuba? What I mean is, if Castro already allows foreign investment (on only some levels) and the like but controls its result (in terms of the Cuban population's improvement) hasn't the taste of liberalization already hit? In fact, resorts are already popping up there but Castro's boys take the biggest slices of the pie. This is beginning to mirror the situation in China where, yes, there is capitalism but there is also a preservation of the ruling power, if not the old principles, of the elite.

Now, EVENTUALLY, people will be mad at what they don't have but conceivably you could run things like North Korea and the people have no choice or have no idea how to respond to that choice (in the short run.)

I don't think the embargo is here or there when it comes to Cuban freedom (since its inception) although I am in favor of ending it.

Perhaps I am mistaken but aren't we the only major power that holds such an embargo against Cuba?

I believe that is the case (Israel might be the other one). But this is still a fairly new phenomenon. There are still a lot of restrictions, because of our influence. And from what I understand liberalization is slowing happening (even Raul understand the importance- and he is the true believer). The thing is we are a MAJOR POWER. I think it's fair to say ending the embargo will speed up the process.

I believe that is the case (Israel might be the other one). But this is still a fairly new phenomenon. There are still a lot of restrictions, because of our influence. And from what I understand liberalization is slowing happening (even Raul understand the importance- and he is the true believer). The thing is we are a MAJOR POWER. I think it's fair to say ending the embargo will speed up the process.

I'll also say that instead of having an embargo in place, trade can also extend other types of influence that would, we hope, be a positive 'subtle' influence on their political structure. Even dictators don't like losing out on business that helps enrich them, thus they may be made more malleable once the anchor of capitalism has been loosed.

Fortunately, Cuba is not like NK or Burma, so the change should be relatively quick (in world-historical terms---20 years or so.)

Archived