Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Players picked AFTER Ladell Betts in 2nd Round

Larry Brown #43

Just doing a little mindless research here. These are the players who were picked after Ladell Betts in the 2nd round this year. Interestingly, the two players picked immediately after Betts were safeties. Anyone know if they've contributed yet? I honestly don't know. Hindsight is 20-20, but even at the time I'd say most people questioned the pick of Betts. How nice would Antwaan Randle El look in the burgundy and gold right now? Or even one of these defensive ends?

NY Jets: JON McGRAW -- Safety

Philadelphia: MICHAEL LEWIS -- Safety

Philadelphia: SHELDON BROWN -- CB

Seattle: ANTON PALEPOI -- DE

Buffalo: RYAN DENNEY -- DE

Pittsburgh: ANTWAAN RANDLE EL -- WR

Dallas: ANTONIO BRYANT -- WR

St. Louis: TRAVIS FISHER -- CB

New England: DEION BRANCH -- WR

Both Lewis and Brown are contributing for the Eagles. Brown had some MONSTER hits in the Dallas game (both on Swinton by the way) and both him and Lewis are already making time on the D getting ready to fill in for the aging secondary. I don't even know who Jon McGraw is... sounds like a Country Western singer.

Don't forget, we traded out of the spot that ended up being Anthony Weaver. I have never seen a team so averse to using high picks (if any) on Defensive Lineman. And everyone wonders why we can't get to the QB. I also believe that Clinton Portis was taken right after Weaver. Excuse me while I :puke:

Antonio Bryant was a no-brainer, and lots of people on this board were talking up Antwan Randle-El. Forget all this hindsight b.s. - the FO blew it. Even if Betts pans out, we could've drafted Bryant in the 2nd and easily gotten Betts in the 3rd instead of Baumann or Russell.

I think Randle El and Branch would have been ideal in the Spurrier system. But, let's not forget, we did draft Russell, who has the type of speed and quickness that he could have been those guys. He's hurt so we don't really know how he'll be when he returns. The Betts pick was a questionable pick in many ways. I think we should have gone with Weaver there, but, it is fair to say that the need for a backup running back was there.

Betts is the primary backup to Davis should Davis be unable to play. I think we could have gotten a guy that helped us more right now than he is but, until we know what he is, I don't know that we can say he's not just the guy we needed.

Guest Trevor

Branch had 13 catches Sunday. I know the Pats throw the ball almost every down but this guy is a really good player.

Sad thing is that Branch probably contributed more in that one game then Betts will all year. :(

While it may be too early to comment on what type of player Betts will ultimately become, it is fair to question the front office's decision to go with a running back -- particularly a running back who was considered a reach at that point -- when there were good players available at positions of much more pressing need for us. I think we were trying to stick it to Davis by drafting a running back early -- like the Saints did to Ricky Williams with Deuce McAllister -- only it blew up in our face. :doh:

Ladell Betts is 5'10 and 225 pounds. He runs a 4.6 and lacks the speed to capture the corner.

Thus he was never going to be a carbon copy of Davis, who is bigger, stronger, AND faster :(

Betts was a productive college back who used his size to gain yardage inside. He challenged linebackers and safeties in college who were not that much bigger or stronger than he was.

The NFL is a totally different game. Some safeties like Roy Williams are 230 pounds and can run a sub 4.5. Linebackers like Ray Lewis go 254 and also have running back speed.

Betts isn't going to be able to use his power game at this level. Guys like Williams and Lewis are going to run Betts down.

And quite honestly, I don't see taking a player that high in the draft just to be a change of pace back you bring in to give Davis a blow.

To me a #2 pick is an understudy who it is envisioned will become a starter somewhere down the road.

I haven't seen any real flashes from Betts that made him a better choice for the roster than Watson or Gillespie.

Indeed I thought except for his draft position that Betts might have been the loser in that combination since he doesn't return punts or kicks as Watson and Gillespie did.

Bulldog, I'm not sure if you were addressing my point directly, but I wasn't saying they drafted Betts to give Davis a blow...I was saying they drafted Betts to STICK IT to Davis because they wanted to show him he was expendable if he doesn't cooperate on an agreeable contract renegotiation. And of course that plan is blowing up in our face because Betts hasn't impressed anyone yet.

face it fellas......not one friggin contributor out of the whole friggin draft. now, maybe PR will play. but overall, not one starter. not one critical backup. no additons to the O or D lines. sure "it's too soon to tell". for my book, this was another wasted draft given all the maneuvering & picks. who's accountable? mendes? cerratto? snyder? who keeps effin up this franchise??????

This is really starting to get pathetic and demoralizing:puke: (stop it..). I was also in favor of drafting the Bryant kid, but I think some of you guys were against it (Bulldog)if i'm not mistaken. If it wasn't you (bulldog), disregard.

But it's really getting pathetic to see other organizations drafting players after us, and getting more out of them, and making us look foolish(somebody do the math).

But what's so killing is this. The defense is spending so much energy trying to learn Marvin Lewis's scheme, and he may not be around come next year. So we may in a year or 2 be bringing in yet another DC for the defense to try and adjust to.:doh:

When will it ever stop:shootinth ...Now is the time to start geling these players, and to start drafting correctly to fill certain needs. If Danny doesn't learn from this year, I'm gonna personally smack him across the back of the head:hammer:

We are wasting key young players that need some guidance and stability on the team (including coaches). We cannot keep going for the home run year in and year out and expect some kind of chemistry. It's not bad trying to produce a winner every year don't get me wrong. But if this strategy continues to under utilize your younger studs, stunt the younger players growth, and the front office dropping the ball come draft day. I say it's time to:stop: , Hmm...

Originally posted by GboroGator

Yeah, wish Gillespie were playing instead of Betts.

This thread wasn't meant as a comparison of Betts vs. Gillespie or Betts vs. Watson. If Spurrier doesn't think Gillespie is good enough to be on the roster, then I respect his judgment. This thread is just a demonstration of how the front office seems to enjoy shovng its head up its *** each draft day.

Who knows if Betts will become the next Davis? Betts is more high profile than Davis was because Betts was a 2nd round pick.

Not too many of us were pleased with that pick. My whole draft philosophy is you draft for need or at least draft a guy who will most likely start in the 1st round. Your 2nd and 3rd round picks should be guys who are going to contribute significantly. I haven't seen much evidence of this yet but then again, that's just my personal philosophy.

As for Randle-El, most people didn't project him going as early as he did so who's to say the Skins wouldn't have taken him later.

Archived