Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI: Offseason Report Cards

21KillzCowboys

In all fairness though, these are the teams that supposedly win every offseason. I can't remember the last time Washington and Atlanta werent the top 2 or 3 most improved teams in the offseason.

It's all about what happens on the field.

Try last offseason...the highest grade the Skins got was about a "C". Getting rid of Coles for Moss was a significant downgrade, neither Brunell or Ramsey were worth a roster spot, we gave away too much to get Campbell, we'd be regretting letting Pierce and Smoot go....etc, etc, yadda yadda.

For some reason every other teams' fans seem to think that the media lines up every offseason to give Snyder a handjob and that the slams, digs and criticisms don't start until mid-season when the Skins aren't living up to the hype...

I think Dallasfanforlife is the only Dallas fan I know who was happy with the Cowboy off-season. Sure, TO was a decent addition and they didn't pay much for him. However, offensive line was their position of weakness and they didn't address that in the draft. The journeymen they added may be serviceable at best.

Parcells has been a mistake. His years at Dallas make me wonder if his success was due mostly to great coordinators and not so much his own personal achievements.

Coordinators under him include: Belichick, Coughlin, Crennel, Groh, and Weis... Not too shabby.

Umm, Parcells taught these guys and if you haven't noticed they follow *HIS* system. The (2) most used systems in the league right now? Bill Walsh (West Coast) and Bill Parcells. Since you didn't pay much attention to the Cowboys beyond what was said in the media. The Cowboys offensive line was pretty good last season unlil it was plagued by injuries around the sixth game of the season. The Cowboys had no choice but to use rookies. The Cowboys added a few linemen and several of the rookies now have a year of experience and another year of weight training. Dallas dropped what has become a has-been in Larry Allen and added a (as your noted) serviceable replacement. The now have *MORE* depth on the offensive line than they had last year and Flozell Adams is returning.

1. I am the King of all MEDIA :nono:

No, Howard Stern is the King of all media.....:censored:

2. Using facts is always the way to go, but they have to be relevant to the point your making According to the NFL rankings The Skins , Giants, and Pokes all tied for second in the NFC East with a 6-10 record, since none were in the playoffs a tie breaker isn't done, and with draft order, that can be decided by many ways, based on qualifiers other than playoff tie breakers, even flipping a coin.

In this case a coin flip was not needed, because Dallas beat the skins 2 times and had a better div record.

3. What you should have pointed out is that despite the identical records, Dallas swept the Skins in 04, so one could conclude Dallas was better than the Redskins that year.

that was the point :silly:

No, Howard Stern is the King of all media.....:censored:

In this case a coin flip was not needed, because Dallas beat the skins 2 times and had a better div record.

that was the point :silly:

Check out my title, Howard Stern :jerk:

exactly, so instead of getting off track, you should have just said "we beat you twice in 04"....

see above

You dont know many Cowboys fans, then. This our most talented team since 1996

I guess I choose to know people who are realistic... Tell me... were you happy in 2004 when Parcells and co. dropped out of the first round and passed up on Steven Jackson, Chris Perry, Kevin Jones, and Tatum Bell to take Julius Jones? They followed that pick up with 2nd rounder Jacob Rodgers who isn't even in the NFL. Last year, were you equally psyched when Parcells and co. picked DeMarcus Ware over Shawne Merriman? This year, were you happy to see them wait until the 7th round to take their first OLineman?

Is TO going to play OLine? You are either a real homer or on real drugs.

The Cowboys are the only team that makes me feel good about how the Redskins draft. At least we mask our mistakes through Free Agency.

exactly, so instead of getting off track, you should have just said "we beat you twice in 04"....

And yet it still does not give Dallas a better record than the Skins in 2004.

And for what it is worth, head-to-head plays no role in determining draft order. Strength of schedule, division then conference record is next followed by the coin flip.

6-10 is 6-10 is 6-10.

I guess I choose to know people who are realistic... Tell me... were you happy in 2004 when Parcells and co. dropped out of the first round and passed up on Steven Jackson, Chris Perry, Kevin Jones, and Tatum Bell to take Julius Jones? They followed that pick up with 2nd rounder Jacob Rodgers who isn't even in the NFL. Last year, were you equally psyched when Parcells and co. picked DeMarcus Ware over Shawne Merriman? This year, were you happy to see them wait until the 7th round to take their first OLineman?

The Cowboys are the only team that makes me feel good about how the Redskins draft. At least we mask our mistakes through Free Agency.

Lets see, He drafted the following players:

Terrence Newman, DeMarcus Ware, Jason Witten, Bradie James, Julies Jones, Marcus Spears, Bobby Carpenter, Chris Canty, Patrick Crayton, and Rob Pettiti.

Hmmm, Those look like pretty damn good draft choices. I see 3+ possible pro-bowlers in there. (Witten already twice)

Yeah, Parcells is dumb as a stump.

Check out my title, Howard Stern :jerk:

see above

your title can say king hillbilly for all i care, but it doesnt make it a "fact". It's a title of opinion.

i never got "off-track"......my point was Dallas finished better then Washington in 2 of the last 3 seasons...and you know what I am right!

And yet it still does not give Dallas a better record than the Skins in 2004.

And for what it is worth, head-to-head plays no role in determining draft order. Strength of schedule, division then conference record is next followed by the coin flip.

6-10 is 6-10 is 6-10.

I never said better record, i said finished ahead of......

Your finished.

I never said better record, i said finished ahead of......

Your finished.

Sorry but they did not finish ahead of. Tie breakers do not apply for teams that are out of the running for the playoffs no matter how hard you want to make it apply. The Redskins finished tied for 2nd with the Cowboys and Giants. Please find me something in print that states otherwise.

I am good with JJ over the rest considering we picked up a fourth and a 1st (Spears) so yes i am!

as for the skins draft do you really need to see this to know how bad the skins drafts have been?

02-Ramsey 1st round....:laugh:

03-Taylor Jacobs, Dockery and Hambden (3 picks total and 2 of them sucked)

04 4 picks total and 2 of them were Mark Wilson and Jim mirano????

05- Manuael White and McCune...thats my fav, cause skin fans just fell in love with his biceps:laugh::laugh:

so in closing Skins dont just screw up fa's they screw up drafts...BAD:laugh:

Sorry but they did not finish ahead of. Tie breakers do not apply for teams that are out of the running for the playoffs no matter how hard you want to make it apply. The Redskins finished tied for 2nd with the Cowboys and Giants. Please find me something in print that states otherwise.

http://www.nfl.com/standings/2004/regular

ok smart ass, if in fact they were all tied, then why is Dallas ahead of Washington....regardless of record, the Boys are on top, why? Cause they finished ahead of them thats why.

my goodness......

Umm, Parcells taught these guys and if you haven't noticed they follow *HIS* system. The (2) most used systems in the league right now? Bill Walsh (West Coast) and Bill Parcells. Since you didn't pay much attention to the Cowboys beyond what was said in the media. The Cowboys offensive line was pretty good last season unlil it was plagued by injuries around the sixth game of the season. The Cowboys had no choice but to use rookies. The Cowboys added a few linemen and several of the rookies now have a year of experience and another year of weight training. Dallas dropped what has become a has-been in Larry Allen and added a (as your noted) serviceable replacement. The now have *MORE* depth on the offensive line than they had last year and Flozell Adams is returning.

Now you are reaching... Don Coryell is used far more than anything Bill Parcells has come up with on his own (Norv Turner, Gibbs, Saunders, Vermiel, Ernie Zampese, Mike Martz, etc). The guys who were discipled by Coryell and his disciples have displayed relatively the same style with few modifications. Can you honestly say that Belichik uses the same offense as Parcells? I don't even believe Parcell's has been consistent with his approach from team to team, so when you say a "Parcell's System"... You are merely stating the success that his coordinators who coached under him have had, not really relying on a system that he developed and is primarily responsible for. It's apples to oranges, but I'm sure someone out there disagrees with me.

Anyway, It's a good question to ask, "How much of it was Parcells, and how much of it was the product of a good set of coordinators?"... He obviously doesn't have the same success in Dallas using different coordinators.

Actually, it can. The salary cap *CAN* effect on the field play. Look back to when the 49ers and the Cowboys subsidised their future to win today. (ie the last 10 years of non-winning teams) The Redskins started down that road too. Finally Daniel Snyder figured it out as he was on his way down that path also signing Bruce Smith, Deion Sanders and the like.

No, the difference is I don't worry about the salary cap like others do here.

I don't care if they pay a guy $30 or $30 million. As long as that player produces on the field and helps the Redskins win, then his paycheck means nothing to me.

I'll let the team, the front office worry about salary implications and cap ramafications. That's thier job, not mine. I won't get hung up on that.

As long as the Redskins can put a winning team on the field for me to cheer for every week, then whatever.

And BTW, the Snyder of 2000 (practically a rookie owner) and the Snyder of 2006 have NOTHING to do with each other.

So bringing up 6 years ago (when Gibbs wasn't here) was pointless. :)

your title can say king hillbilly for all i care, but it doesnt make it a "fact". It's a title of opinion.

i never got "off-track"......my point was Dallas finished better then Washington in 2 of the last 3 seasons...and you know what I am right!

Just because you refuse to acknowledge my title, doesn't change the facts... and unlike Stern... Mine was bestowed upon me, not self imposed.

but they didn't finsh ahead of the Redskins, no matter how you want to spin it, your only argument is the Pokes were better head to head, and a better NFC East record...... but that isn't the same as finish (ie overall w-l record), in the NFL records, it is still a tie 6-10 each

you know what... you're NOT

from NFL.com:

http://www.nfl.com/standings/2004/regular

ok smart ass, if in fact they were all tied, then why is Dallas ahead of Washington....regardless of record, the Boys are on top, why? Cause they finished ahead of them thats why.

my goodness......

No, they finished tied. :)

It looks like they grouped them by divisional records. Dallas won one more divisonal game than Washington did that year.

Which means nothing when you are talking about 6-10. :)

No, they finished tied. :)

It looks like they grouped them by divisional records. Dallas won one more divisonal game than Washington did that year.

Which means nothing when you are talking about 6-10. :)

bingo

The Skins had a better NFC w/l record... but the still finished 6-10 same as the cowboys

No, the difference is I don't worry about the salary cap like others do here.

I don't care if they pay a guy $30 or $30 million. As long as that player produces on the field and helps the Redskins win, then his paycheck means nothing to me.

I'll let the team, the front office worry about salary implications and cap ramafications. That's thier job, not mine. I won't get hung up on that.

As long as the Redskins can put a winning team on the field for me to cheer for every week, then whatever.

And BTW, the Snyder of 2000 (practically a rookie owner) and the Snyder of 2006 have NOTHING to do with each other.

So bringing up 6 years ago (when Gibbs wasn't here) was pointless. :)

It's funny how teams never seem to overpay for unproven rookies; only for veteran players with a track record of success in this league. I am sure that Huff and his rookie mistakes for Oakland are a deal when Adam and his veteran leadership and proven track record for around 1/3 less in guaranteed money is fiscally irresponsible.

Just because you refuse to acknowledge my title, doesn't change the facts... and unlike Stern... Mine was bestowed upon me, not self imposed.

but they didn't finsh ahead of the Redskins, no matter how you want to spin it, your only argument is the Pokes were better head to head, and a better NFC East record...... but that isn't the same as finish (ie overall w-l record), in the NFL records, it is still a tie 6-10 each

you know what... you're NOT

from NFL.com:

sure looks like they are ahead to me...on top means ahead of.

Archived