Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Here comes hurricane Daniel

Bonef1de

Jrock you better run for cover

arta.jpg

artd.jpg

A tropical storm warning is expected to be issued for Oahu and Kauai at 11 a.m. tomorrow, meaning it is bearing winds of 39 mph to 73 mph, said Oahu Civil Defense Agency Administrator Joe Reed.

He warned residents of possible flooding, along with high winds accelerated by the island's mountain ridges and valleys.

Coastal areas will be subject to pretty strong high surf and surge as the storm moves up the chain, he said.

"Anyone living or driving in those areas, especially at night: Don't do it during the passage of the storm.

"There may be a tendency for some people to think, 'This is only a tropical storm,'" Reed added. "That could be dangerous."

A tropical storm, even a fairly moderate or weak one, can result in hazardous conditions, he said.

"It's still going to be a significant event if it continues to follow its current track," Weyman said, advising islanders to take preparedness actions listed in their phone books.

Daniel was about 630 miles east of Hilo this morning and 830 miles east of Honolulu. It was traveling at 18 mph, with 75-mph winds gusting to 90 mph.

"It's a very active system at the present time," Weyman said. The winds will begin decreasing but they will still be strong, and residents can expect a lot of rain, he said.

Weyman said three things were happening to weaken the hurricane: colder, more stable air moving in from the north, warmer ocean temperatures (78 to 79 degrees Fahrenheit), and a sheer at the upper levels.

The bottom of the storm is moving westerly while winds are pushing to the northeast in the upper part, at more than 24,000 feet, he said, explaining the sheer.

Weyman has been holding conference calls with state and county Civil Defense agencies, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, Red Cross and other emergency agencies, which are continuing to follow the storm. He briefed military officials and county Civil Defense administrators this morning.

Weyman said the storm potentially will affect the Big Island tomorrow night, Maui late tomorrow night or early Monday, Oahu Monday morning and maybe into the afternoon, then Kauai Monday afternoon into the evening.

http://starbulletin.com/2000/07/29/news/story1.html

Kinda tough to hop on the interstate and get out of the way when you're in Hawaii.

Yeah I live in a Waikiki highrise and depending on the weather reports I'm thinking of boarding up my lanai (balcony). I would be super pissed if something flys through sliding glass doors and into my apartment.

Yeah I live in a Waikiki highrise and depending on the weather reports I'm thinking of boarding up my lanai (balcony). I would be super pissed if something flys through sliding glass doors and into my apartment.

you had me thinking one was on the way to Florida, I'm a little gun shy after the last two years :silly: take care Matt

Wow, I never knew Hurricanes hit hawaii, and I thought they are called Typhoons in the Pacific.

Anyways, Stay safe guys.

Hurrican Iniki, 1992, hit the island of Kauai,HI two weeks after Andrew hit Florida.

Iniki was stronger than Andrew and got stuck in the mountains of Kauai. It spun there for three and a half hours....ouch!!!!

Hurrican Iniki, 1992, hit the island of Kauai,HI two weeks after Andrew hit Florida.

Iniki was stronger than Andrew and got stuck in the mountains of Kauai. It spun there for three and a half hours....ouch!!!!

I was there for Iniki when I was in the Army. We busted our asses cleaning up afterwards. There were wind gusts recorded at 220 mph.

I was there for Iniki when I was in the Army. We busted our asses cleaning up afterwards. There were wind gusts recorded at 220 mph.

I can speak for local people on this island so thanks for your support/much mahalo's for your effort's in helping out our community. I've lived in hawaii for the past 8 years.

fights vers. local people = 1

fights vers. military = 89

Your the exception to the rule.

Archived