Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Marty haters step up!

Murilo Bustamante

Way to go Marty and the San Diego Chargers on beating the Defending Super Bowl Champions Patriots. That makes him 4-0 with the Bolts.

I am still am Marty Fan and have not and will not bash him like some people have just because he is no longer with the Skins (even though I do remember there was a lot of support for him to stay on this site between time the Skins finished their last game to the time Mr. Snyder fired him). He is a great coach and will do a good job in San Diego!

Maybe both Marty and Brian Mitchell can enjoy the playoffs this year while the Skins will probably be at home again. Sorry just venting and I am off of my soap box! :soapbox:

Hail to the Redskins!!!!!

Marty took the bad start by the skins last year as a learning experience, as an article quoted him as saying his training camp wouldn't be as rough in SD as it was in WASH. His turnaround from 0-5 to now 12-3 since indicates he has picked up on something.

On a side note, when will these players ever learn not to take their helmets off until the double-u is official? It didn't cost SD, but I'd imagine Marty won't forget to give him an earful.

You know, I think it was the Post this morning that said the players in San Diego were willing to put up with The Marty Way because they were so tired of losing they were willing to do whatever they could to get better.

Given that Redskins players (at least on the D) are already complaining about the coaches, I think that there's enough success on Marty's end now to pretty strongly suggest here that Snyder's right that the problem right now on the Skins is the players' attitudes.

He learned through the 0-5 start, that putting the players through hell is not a good thing. I remember when we were 0-5 and Marty publicly said, "I think I need to re-evaluate some decisions I have made" Suddenly we started winning.....I don't blame the 0-5 on Marty, yet I don't think it was ALL Marty this and/or that that had us finish 8-3 over the last 11 games......

And tell me why SD is about to start 4-0.

The answer has 3 parts:

1) No Tony Banks

2) No Jimmy Raye

3) No ignoring your best offensive weapon in the first 5 games.

Marty said 1 & 2 would both be coming back for the Redskins in his second year. So saying we would be 4-0 or even playing better than we are now is pure speculation.

Originally posted by 70Chip

Given that Redskins players (at least on the D) are already complaining about the coaches, I think that there's enough success on Marty's end now to pretty strongly suggest here that Snyder's right that the problem right now on the Skins is the players' attitudes.

Maybe the player's attitudes are partly fueled by their owner's foolish fantasy league moves. Snyder's meddling keeps removing hope of any cohesion taking place anytime soon, so why break your back trying to learn a new system that probably will be gone next year, based on Snyder's past?

If he fires either coach after this year I think we'll see a Baltimore Orioles situation where there is no hope until the owner dies of a stroke.

I agree. Jimmy Raye may be part of the reason.

But, a friend of mine pointed out the following. When asked if Marty's camp was hard, Junior Seau said "no, it's hard work. Some guys don't like hard work. I've got no problem with it."

Given that that was not the Skins' reaction to Marty, I wonder if maybe we have an issue with our players.

Exactly Murilo,

That's why Seau is the player he is, he works hard. Maybe the 'Skins could take a lesson from that. When players don't play well and blame everything else, whats' that tell you? I realize they are adjusting to a new defensive scheme, but I watched some of the Texans today, and they look pretty damn good for never having played together.

Some of these players (not all) need a kick in the a--!!! First to go would be Smith....where's Kalu when you need him??

1. it's only 4 games in and let's remember the Chargers were 5-2 last year and finished 5-11............I just love how after 3 or 4 games firm judgments and decisions about players and coaches are made by fans :laugh:

2. as another poster noted, Marty did not have full freedom in SD and concentrated on getting the team ready as HC. He is not the GM and came into a good situation where John Butler had provided him with Drew Brees, LaDainian Tomlinson, Tim Dwight, etc... as playmakers on offense and the Chargers finished last year, despite their offensive woes, with a solid defense.

So in that respect Marty had the makings of a good squad in 20002. That said I think the Broncos and Raiders are still better teams, so the Chargers will still probably be looking at a third place finish.

3. once again, Marty has not run the SD program the way he did the program here in DC. in fact if you go back and look at his history his one year in Washington was unlike any other year he had as coach in the NFL in terms of his own actions and reactions. Here was a guy that was known for discipline, but was also known for being a guy that had good rapport with the veterans on his teams. He fielded smart, organized squads that didn't have a lot of internal dissension or chemistry problems.

When all is said and done I think Marty is a capable head coach but filling a dual role here was in uncharted waters where he spread himself too thin and left his team in the lurch at the quarterback position from the start of the season.

A seasoned GM would never have gone into the year with an explosive personality like Jeff George as the only veteran presence on the club, given his propensity of not making it through 16 game seasons as the starter. Especially in DC, where he was being expected to be the trigger man on an offense he was not physically or psychologically suited to run.

Kudos to the Chargers, and especially to their GM.

When they needed a Head Coach and Marty became available they offered him the job conditional upon two non-negotiable conditions:

1. He would NOT be in charge of player acquisitions.

2. He could NOT hire Jimmy Raye to be the OC.

Marty accepted and is off to a great start.

Of course Snyder offered to let Marty remain the HC under the same two conditions, although number one was softer -- Marty could help choose a new head of player personnel, who would then have the final vote on player acquisitions.

Marty refused, which was his legal right, and then moved on to accept the same conditions at SD.

IMO we will look back on SOS in several years and be very happy that Marty refused to stay.

HTTR!

Originally posted by stevea

IMO we will look back on SOS in several years and be very happy that Marty refused to stay.

HTTR!

Or we could be looking back and wishing Snyder had not offered an excellent head coach the GM position from the outset.

All he had to do was show Marty enough green and it would be naive not to see him coaching the skins under the same conditions as they are in SD. Afterall, Marty was a big critic of Snyder before taking the cash.

He bolted and took the bonus with him when Snyder had different ideas, as if winning 8 of 11 wasn't good enough. Good for him. If his general managerial moves weren't what Snyder deemed acceptible, how much did he really expect from someone with no prior experience in that field to begin with?

Archived