Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider: Redskins camp preview

timdaley73

Did a search and couldn't find this thread...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp06/insider/news/story?id=2518201

Washington Redskins Training Camp

Site: Redskins Park

Start date: July 30 (rookies and vets)

2005 Record: 10-6

Expanded NFL Training Camp Coverage

Three Burning Questions

Can the offensive line pass protect well enough to get quarterback Mark Brunell through a full season?

The pass protection for Brunell was better in 2005 after being very weak in 2004. The Redskins have been forced at times to play a lot of maximum protection schemes to protect the immobile Brunell, making their passing game very conservative and predictable. The key to success in 2006 is the health of left offensive tackle Chris Samuels and right offensive tackle Jon Jansen. They are excellent edge protectors, but durability is a real question mark for both. This is a big and physical offensive line, and the passing game will feature more three- and five-step drops, which will make it tough for defenses to get to Brunell. Even when other teams do penetrate, one of the most underrated parts of the team's pass protection is the ability of running back Clinton Portis to pick up the blitz.

Can offensive coordinator Al Saunders and defensive coordinator Gregg Williams turn their respective units into an offense and defense of Super Bowl caliber?

As usual, there are new faces on both sides of the ball, as owner Dan Snyder continues to spend every dollar he is allowed to spend in free agency. The key is always for these new players to jell, especially on offense. The newcomers will have to absorb new coordinator Saunders' very complex offense and do so quickly. The talent level is excellent on both sides of the ball, and this might be the best-coached team in the NFL, with tremendous experience at all positions. The defense will be fine and will carry its share of the load, but the big question will be how effective this offense is and how well Brunell is protected.

Will we see quarterback Jason Campbell early in the season?

The coaching staff really likes Campbell and thinks he is coming along quickly, but this is a very complex offense and is difficult for a young guy to master early. Campbell likely will get extensive work in the preseason so the coaches can find out whether he is anywhere near ready to step in. Nevertheless, you get the feeling the coaches would be more comfortable playing the entire 2006 season with Brunell, if he can hold up physically, as he fits the offensive scheme very well and is a smart veteran player who can make all the adjustments necessary to keep the chains moving.

The player under the microscope

Safety Sean Taylor seems to be past his legal problems of a year ago, which should allow him to have a full training camp. Taylor is the key to this whole defense. Everything the Redskins do revolves around Taylor and his ability to make plays in space. He allows coordinator Williams to play a variety of coverage schemes because he can patrol the deep middle of the field and give coverage help from sideline to sideline while also being an intimidating hitter over the middle. However, he will gamble at times and won't always take great angles to the ball. He also must learn to package his aggressiveness into playing somewhat under control but still intimidatingly.

Breakout player

With an abundance of three-receiver sets and a sophisticated passing game, Antwaan Randle El will work out of the slot a lot and will see mostly single-coverage schemes, usually versus the second or third corner on the opposing team. Santana Moss requires a lot of attention on the perimeter, and it will be very difficult for defenses to roll any coverages toward Randle El. He is also a threat to run reverses and even throw the football in this offense, and Saunders will give him quality gadget and trick plays to take advantage of those skills. Although he is not the go-to-guy in this offense because of Moss, Randle El has a chance to catch a lot more balls.

Comeback player of the year

Although it seems unusual to consider Andre Carter a comeback player when he has played in the league for just five years, he did not really fit in as an outside linebacker in the 49ers' 3-4 defense and should be a huge free-agent upgrade for Washington. In the Skins' 4-3 scheme, he will start at right defensive end and is very capable of having a double-digit sack season, which would be a marked improvement over his 4.5 sacks a year ago. He still can play right outside linebacker if the Redskins go to a 3-4 front, but he is basically going to be an edge rusher with a lot of freedom to move around and put himself in position to isolate blockers on the edge. The coaching staff is convinced Carter will give the Redskins the big plays they did not get from LaVar Arrington a year ago but will be capable of playing with better discipline and control.

Offensive philosophy

Saunders' arrival in Washington brings a new offensive philosophy. The Redskins will operate out of a three-receiver, one-back set much of the time, without a traditional fullback as a lead blocker for Portis. Saunders runs a very sophisticated offense that features a lot of timing routes, and Brunell will be asked to throw the ball into tight spots with very little route adjustment and a minimal audible system. Without a fullback, Portis will be asked to use his natural vision and run instincts to create creases and seams without having to follow a lead blocker. It should be much more natural for him and still allow him to use his patented cutback runs. Defenses also will have to keep an eye on Randle El, who will work as the No. 3 slot receiver but is always capable of running reverses or throwing the ball. He gives this offense a surprise element. Saunders also has to figure out a way to get tight end/H-back Chris Cooley into the lineup. Cooley had 71 receptions a year ago, but in this different offensive set, we might see him play out of the slot at times, go in motion and even line up in the backfield to take advantage of good matchups.

Defensive philosophy

Coordinator Williams runs one of the most sophisticated defensive schemes in the NFL, featuring a lot of exotic blitzes. He will attack you from all over the field, many times with multiple blitzes on the same side. He likes the freedom of being able to play man-to-man coverages behind the blitz, and really seems to trust his two corners without help over the top. However, we might see a lot more Cover 1, Cover 3 and man-free schemes in the secondary, allowing new strong safety Adam Archuleta to play up in the box and be more active in run support while free safety Taylor can patrol the middle of the field and use his range and athleticism to make plays. It's unlikely the Redskins will play a lot of Cover 2 schemes, as Archuleta would be wasted as a deep-half safety, especially as pass coverage is not his strength. Also, look for the Redskins to play some 3-4 schemes even though they primarily use a 4-3 defense and will feature newly acquired defensive end/offensive linebacker Carter as the key pass-rusher off the edge in schemes. This is a defense that needs intelligent players who can make adjustments because Williams has very sophisticated schemes that change from week to week and the whole goal here is to confuse offenses and dictate the pace of the game.

Camp battle to watch

Chris Clemons vs. Warrick Holdman

Holdman

Clemons

The Redskins would love to give the weak outside linebacker job to rookie Rocky McIntosh if he is mentally up to it. He has excellent overall versatility and comes to Washington with the reputation of being a very smart player with a high motor. He will be given every chance in training camp to get the job done, but the two veterans obviously will have a leg up. Clemons is an excellent edge rusher with good first-step quickness, but he does not quite have the same range and power as McIntosh. Holdman is a veteran who has not lived up to expectations but will be in the mix because he is a smart enough guy to play this defensive scheme. This can be an outstanding linebacking corps if one of these three guys can be productive at weak outside linebacker.

Gary Horton has been a football talent evaluator for more than 30 years. He spent 10 years in the NFL and 10 years at the college level before launching a private scouting firm called "The War Room."

I realize I may have broken some ES rule with the entire article, but I wasn't sure if the Insider link would work for those without Insider access... Sorry!

Nonsense!! Thanks for the post.

I really don't understand this comment though: Without a fullback... I was under the impression we were going to be setting up with a FB more this season.

I really don't understand this comment though: Without a fullback... I was under the impression we were going to be setting up with a FB more this season.

We will be. I think the whole 3 wr base thing everyone in the media keeps talking about is blown way out of proportion. This is still a Joe Gibbs team, we will still feature a power running game. Just look at Saunder's offenses in KC, they spread it out plenty, but they also pounded it behind a FB plenty. You'll see a lot of both depsite the media impression that we'll no longer come out with less than 3 WRs.

We will not be using the H-Back position anymore just FB and TE from now on. I dont think we will be using the FB position more this season. We're probably going to start 3 WRs on offense and a TE leaving no room for a FB.

We will be. I think the whole 3 wr base thing everyone in the media keeps talking about is blown way out of proportion. This is still a Joe Gibbs team, we will still feature a power running game. Just look at Saunder's offenses in KC, they spread it out plenty, but they also pounded it behind a FB plenty. You'll see a lot of both depsite the media impression that we'll no longer come out with less than 3 WRs.

I agree. - There will be an insane amount of personel combinations that will include not only those 3 WR's, but Patten sometimes as one of those WR's, as well as Cooley, Fauria, Sellers and Betts.

Oh man, I am so freakin pumped!

I think his mention of how we'll use cooley was based on his role as HB last year. Judging by the way Saunders used gonzalez and richardson(fb), cooley and sellers will be on the field a bunch.

On thing I wonder though. Will they sometimes use Randle El as the second receiver when they're not in the 3 receiver sets... seems him just being on the field give them trick play potential and almost automatically loosens up the middle of the field (if opposing teams played their outside lbs tight to the line, there's the threat of ARE or portis busting to the outside). With the middle loosened we may be golden between the tackles.

He made an interesting point about Portis working better from a one back set(w/out a lead blocker)

Pretty solid analysis. This is the first recognition of Portis's blitz pickup skills I have seen. In my mind, that separates him from players with comparable stats.

It's nice to see the author make mention of just how versatile our personnel is on BOTH sides of the ball. This team has every type of player you could want and will really have the opposition reacting rather than dictating. Not too many teams could morph from a 3-4 to a 4-3 with the exact same front 7 players.

Can the offensive line pass protect well enough to get quarterback Mark Brunell through a full season

Well he was only sacked 27 times last season, 14 came in 3 games during the first 5 weeks (when Rabach was adjusting, and Jansen was wear two heavy casts for his broke thumbs)... the last 5 week of the regular season he was only sacked twice, and only twice in the playoffs (without Thomas in the lineup)

Considering Rabach has a full year under his belt with the line, and Buges, and both Jansen & Thomas are healthy, Dockery really came on the second half last year, and Samuels had a pro bowl year, and is in better shape this off season....

:D

I hate to compare real football to video games, however as an overall trend in the last decade in the NFL, especially with faster and smaller teams focusing strictly on speed and getting to the ball, I see Saunders bringing in a "Madden-like" offense here. I think we'll see those 3 step drops work magic as teams bring the blitz and allow Saunders to expose teams during the blitz, dumping it off to Cooley or Randel El to whichever side is bringing the blitz. I think that's another reason why Santana had a massive season for us, he was just faster than most of the guys out there and those WR Screens worked like magic. Next thing you know you see Carolina copying our scheme and the rest of the NFL quickly catching on. The only difference is that not every team has a player like Santana. Now that we have playmakers everywhere I see us having a tremendous season. I can't wait!

How are Jansen and Samuels not durable??? Jansen played through 2 broken thumbs last season after coming off a torn achiles tendon.

I hadn't even noticed that part. Jansen missed the 2004 season on a freak injury but has not missed a single game other than that. Samuels has a missed a total of 4 games in 6 seasons. I would say our depth behind them is a concern but not their durability.

I don't understand the tendancy for journalists to say that Brunell is immobile. While he might not have the legs that he used to have, the guy can still get that first down when it needs to happen.

While he's obviously not Vick, I don't think he should be classified as "immobile".

I also enjoyed reading about Portis' great pass blocking. It is something that I noticed during the season but forgot about since. He was so agressive, unlike a lot of RBs that try and take out legs, CP would deliver a shot to the LB, and had some nice pancakes. I hope the issue with him losing weight to help with break away runs does not hurt his ability to pick up the blitz.

Three Burning Questions

Can the offensive line pass protect well enough to get quarterback Mark Brunell through a full season?

Huh? This is the first of his 'burning questions'? You've got to be kidding me. The OL is one of the strengths of the team. It might even be THE strength. That's not even a concern. Yeah, there's no depth, but that's a totally different questions than 'can they protect Brunell'.

Maybe he means it as a sideways swipe at Brunell, but starting your analysis with a question about the ability of the OL to protect the QB... that's just dumb.

The Redskins have been forced at times to play a lot of maximum protection schemes to protect the immobile Brunell, making their passing game very conservative and predictable.

Immobile? Sure, Brunell isn't as spry as he used to be, but he's hardly immobile. Hell, he got some key pickups with his legs.

Also, I guess Horton is out of the loop that Clemons was moved to strong side. :doh:

Jason

Besides the obvious things that were overlooked or exaggerated, that was a very good analysis.

Brunell immobile? He's not what he used to be, but compared to statue QB's like Bledsoe or Warner he practically is Vick....ok, not quite but you get the point...

I think the durability comment on Samuels and Jansen is like what people say about Brunell.....Not questioning whether they will miss games due to injury, just that their level of play suffers when they have nagging injuries....which is fair.

And leaving out Lloyd is odd.....but that just kinda proves how many weapons this team has, and how hard it is to account for all of them. Hopefully opposing defenses will have just as much trouble with that!

Archived