Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FoxSports.com: Nine guys who could influence the '06 season

EnFoRcEr_uPu

Misleading...as usual picking stuff out of thin air without making a solid case for the situation of the team during the second half of the season. Case and point: the Pats get a pass because they have won 3 SB's in the last 4 years so injuries are excused or used as excuses moreover. If the Skin's go on a 5 game winning streak to give them a playoff berth, despite their injuries and lack of depth, then it is considered a fluke? Why b/c we don't have the SB credibility? :rolleyes: All things being equal without taking recent history into consideration, wouldn't the accomplishments of Joe Jackson Gibbs (a guy behind the modern football times, supposedly) have something to do with the success of this team? After all, didn't he return to the playoffs his second year of his second term with a second string QB? We/others are so quick to make excuses for the achievements/strides the Redskins made in '05. Now everyone wants to continue to question the legitimacy of a HOF legend. Who's to say that Campbell is not a Brady pacing back and forth on the 50 yard line? We don't know what he's made of. But, we DO know what Mark is made of, and until he does in fact come out of a game b/c of injury or lack of production this year, this supposed question "Mark" at the QB position is moot. Stop all the "question Mark" b.s. :point2sky

HTTR!

i just wish mark would go through his progressions and not stare down 1 reciever.

What on earth makes you think he stares down his primary receiver? He would not have made it to College let alone had a stellar NFL career if he genuinley did that.

Watch some game film - his head is moving all the time as he works through his progressions.

Also factor in that last season he only HAD 1 WR - it was look at Moss then Cooley then Portis then run/throw it away.

What on earth makes you think he stares down his primary receiver? He would not have made it to College let alone had a stellar NFL career if he genuinley did that.

Watch some game film - his head is moving all the time as he works through his progressions.

Also factor in that last season he only HAD 1 WR - it was look at Moss then Cooley then Portis then run/throw it away.

True, True...

Watch the film. He looks through and chucks it in the stands if he can't scramble. He did the same thing before he got hurt, but he could scramble a little and made some great yards. After he got hurt, he just chucked it away. No receivers, CP blocking in pass protection... Moss doubled. Cooley doubled by a LB or Safety zone coverage.

How easy was it to game plan against a Redskin offense during the playoffs?

I would say pretty easy, simplified. MB was just not loosing the game... He wasn't going to win it either, however.

2006 is going to be a different story until he gets hurt. I do believe he will be hurt, because I am the same age and **** breaks!!!

I look forward to seeing Jason Cambell and what he brings to the table in pre-season. I hope he has some success and gains some confidence as the honesty would bring any skin fan to the assumption that MB won't last 16 games.

I hope that JC gets a chance to clean up as many games as we can afford, with any lead going into the 4th or late 3rd Quarter, all season. That would be smart prep.

HTTR's

I agree that Brunell is the key, but I also look forward to a drastically improved running attack that Saunders will bring in and better play calling...

1) We gotta be less predictable

2) We gotta have a higher YPC

3) We gotta have more WRs open

This is the expectation that I'd like to see met, and I think Brunell has to be healthy for us to meet all of these.

If not Brunell, then Collins... I don't imagine Campbell being ready this year.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/13/AR2006031301923.html

QUOTE: Who's going to be the trigger man for all this offense?

Is it just me, or do the Redskins seem like they're in a major transition at quarterback? Mark Brunell will turn 36 at the start of the season. Forget about a major injury; that can and does happen to 26-year-old QBs all the time.

If last season was an indicator, Brunell is good for peak performance in about, what, 11 games? It's probably time for the team to start making the transition to Jason Campbell, but that usually isn't an overnight process. There simply aren't that many Ben Roethlisbergers out there.

END QUOTE

Wilbon called it months ago. Best sports writer, IMO.

I, personally, think Brunell is less of a question mark than last season. For the most part if the opposing teams were able to shut down Portis and Moss our offensive options were gone and the pressure would be placed on Brunell to create something. At his advanced age his physical skills were not enough to create offense. On top of this, our offensive scheme wasn't much to look at. This season we have more offensive weapons and an offensive scheme that will not rely as much on Brunell's play making ability. All he has to do is direct the offense, which he is more than capable of.

How many times was Trent Green injured in KC???? I dont think he was very often, doesnt this new offense focus on getting the ball out of the QBs hands pretty fast? I know that there isnt an offense in the NFL where they tell you to hold on to the ball for too long, but I cant remeber T Green going down in KC very frequently... which should bode well for MB. And b4 you all say it, I know that the KC o-line is a little better.

Just some food for thought.

Wow! This is a good thread.

What I have not seen tossed into the excellent analysis already exhibited in this thread is Tom Collins.

Although he is not applicable to last season, Foxsport's (original post link) reasoning does not consider him. Specifically, Foxsports assumes that the next in line after Brunell is Campbell. Although this could be the case, it is not a known fact. Far from it.

Todd Collins is a competent QB trained in Al Saunder's already proven system. If Brunell goes down, he could very well fill the void extremely well. Campbell, for whom I have great expectations, is not necessarily next in line. Therefore, I do not see Brunell's presence and production as one of the "great" questions of the upcoming season.

But Brunell's production is a very good question regarding the upcoming season. And the Foxsports' analysis was, even without the Todd Collins analysis, a very good description of the QB situation we face.

Mark Brunell might not be the most qualified QB to run this offense, but because of field experience, he is better at reading defenses which is one of the most important skills a QB developes over the years. Todd Collins aready knows the offense, but doesn't have a lot of field experience even though he's been in the league for at least 5 years. He also has average QB skills. Jason Campbell is learning the offense along with Mark Brunell. I think Campbells' QB skills are a little above average, but has no nfl field time. So to me, a little less mobile Mark Brunell behind a hopefully good offensive line is our first option. Second option should be Jason Campbell because his knowledge of the offense should at least be on the same level as Brunell, and he is more athletic than both. I don't think Joe Gibbs and Al Saunders will have any problems guiding this young QB if and when it becomes neccessary.

Archived