Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FoxSports.com: Nine guys who could influence the '06 season

EnFoRcEr_uPu

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5781908

"6. Mark Brunell, quarterback, Redskins

In the first half of the 2005 season, the Redskins lefty was among the NFL's more efficient quarterbacks. In the second half of the season, he was an eye sore. Brunell's play down the stretch was rather abysmal.

And the oft-injured quarterback missed a portion of mini-camp in 2006 after fracturing a finger on his throwing hand.

Washington is loaded with offensive talent after adding Brandon Lloyd and Antwaan Randle El to Santana Moss, Clinton Portis, Chris Cooley, and a sturdy starting five on the offensive line. And the most significant pickup Washington made this off-season was bringing Al Saunders on board to calls plays. If Brunell can execute the Saunders playbook, the Redskins are a Super Bowl threat. If he can't keep himself on the field, they aren't a playoff team. (For the record, I love Jason Campbell's upside, but he might have to go through some growing pains if forced to play)."

:doh: another Myth

Brunell's playing didn't tell off the second half, just his attempts (and fewer passes means less total yards), his YPA and TD/INT ratio, Completion % stayed close to the same, and so did his QB rating. It wasn't until his knee shot against the Giants (when he was 7-11 at the time), that his accuracy was off, against Philly he was just 9/25 and Tampa in the playoffs 7/15 that everyone refers to as the "second half" of the season :rolleyes:

against Seattle he was 22/37 showing he was getting better

for someone who was so terrible , his accuracy rating sure was pretty high tied for 4th overall by KC Joyner stats :laugh:

Do these guys ever stop to think when they talk about how Brunell tailed off last season that it might have also been due to the fact that David Patten got hurt and so as a result, Santana Moss got a lot more double coverages directed his way, and seeing as he was the #1 WR to begin with, it made it a LOT HARDER to get the ball to him?

If Moss, Brandon Lloyd, and Antwaan Randle-El all stay healthy, and the O-line does the job it is capable of doing and keeps Brunell upright, this could be a HUGE YEAR!!!!

Do these guys ever stop to think when they talk about how Brunell tailed off last season that it might have also been due to the fact that David Patten got hurt and so as a result, Santana Moss got a lot more double coverages directed his way, and seeing as he was the #1 WR to begin with, it made it a LOT HARDER to get the ball to him?

If Moss, Brandon Lloyd, and Antwaan Randle-El all stay healthy, and the O-line does the job it is capable of doing and keeps Brunell upright, this could be a HUGE YEAR!!!!

Not just Patten, but James Thrash as well. Thrash was pretty effective as our third receiver early in the year, but he got hurt late too.

Mark was part of the reason, lets not totally take the blame away from him. Granted he was banged up, but really he had a good year not a great one - Santana wasn't just "a deep threat" he was one of, if not THE, most dangerous WR in the NFL last year - a QB should be able to do something with that and a TE like Cooley.

edit:

Brunell's biggest problem is that he doesn't always seem to see the whole field IMO. I don't think he will do that this year though, or Lloyd and El will be in his ear.

Taylor Jacobs ran route after route last year wide open and Brunell never threw him the ball, unless he was covered.

Our losses last year were team losses and our struggles were team struggles. Thank god for CP and our defense, that is all I have to say.

It wasn' Mark's fault the offense sputtered. And just as a reminder we did win six straight while he was an 'eye sore'. That said last year we had one deep threat. With the return of Patten we now have four.

Let's not mistake David Patten for a deep threat any longer. He's a pretty good reciever, that's the extent of it. Moss had more 40+ yard catches last year than Patten's had in his career.

Brunell threw 4 touchdowns in the second Dallas game near the end of the season so I don't know that his second half was all that poor :laugh:

I think what you have to do is take the second half games BEFORE he got hit by Nick Griesen on the knee and the games he played AFTER that injury.

That is the point at which the deep passing game disappeared and the offense began to stagnate against the Eagles and in the playoffs against the Bucs and Seahawks.

Brunell said at the time the knee wasn't a problem, but who seeing those performances believes that? :)

If you are a 6'2 quarterback who suffers a plant foot injury, your ability to throw the ball is going to be compromised.

Brunell is not a 6'5, 230 pounder like Roethlisberger that can still throw a ball 50 yards off his back foot. He has to be able to step into this passes or there is no velocity, jump to them.

What Im worried about is if Mark Brunell Gets an injury that isnt significant to force him to miss games but is significant enough to drastically reduce his ability to be an efficient QB, will he take one for the team and pull himself out, or will he be a selfish SOB and keep himself in there knowing his career is most assuredly OVER if JC gets in there? Well I already know the answer because this very same situation happened the past TWO seasons. Brunells first year he had an injury, dont remember exactly what it was, but it wasnt so serious that he couldnt play at all, so he kept on playing and was PATHETIC. And last season after Brunells injury in the giants game he put himself back in the starting line up the very next week and he was PATHETIC after that. The onus is on the Skins coaching staff to PULL Mark Brunell as soon as he gets injured, no matter how small the injury. There is NO DOUBT in my mind that JC will be able to pull a Rothlisberger and be tremendously successful as soon as he gets put in there. Why? HE HAS ALL THE NESESSARY RESOURCES around him. Great Offensive Coordinater, Great O-Line, Great WR's, and Spectacular RB. With all of that, Campbell should EASILY be able to utilize his natural talent to take this team to the next level. I HATE MARK BRUNELL!

What Im worried about is if Mark Brunell Gets an injury that isnt significant to force him to miss games but is significant enough to drastically reduce his ability to be an efficient QB, will he take one for the team and pull himself out, or will he be a selfish SOB and keep himself in there knowing his career is most assuredly OVER if JC gets in there? Well I already know the answer because this very same situation happened the past TWO seasons. Brunells first year he had an injury, dont remember exactly what it was, but it wasnt so serious that he couldnt play at all, so he kept on playing and was PATHETIC. And last season after Brunells injury in the giants game he put himself back in the starting line up the very next week and he was PATHETIC after that. The onus is on the Skins coaching staff to PULL Mark Brunell as soon as he gets injured, no matter how small the injury. There is NO DOUBT in my mind that JC will be able to pull a Rothlisberger and be tremendously successful as soon as he gets put in there. Why? HE HAS ALL THE NESESSARY RESOURCES around him. Great Offensive Coordinater, Great O-Line, Great WR's, and Spectacular RB. With all of that, Campbell should EASILY be able to utilize his natural talent to take this team to the next level. I HATE MARK BRUNELL!

Wow. I have you to hand it to you, you certainly do have talent. You managed to ruin a perfectly good long post in just 4 words.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5781908

"6. Mark Brunell, quarterback, Redskins

In the first half of the 2005 season, the Redskins lefty was among the NFL's more efficient quarterbacks. In the second half of the season, he was an eye sore. Brunell's play down the stretch was rather abysmal.

And the oft-injured quarterback missed a portion of mini-camp in 2006 after fracturing a finger on his throwing hand.

Washington is loaded with offensive talent after adding Brandon Lloyd and Antwaan Randle El to Santana Moss, Clinton Portis, Chris Cooley, and a sturdy starting five on the offensive line. And the most significant pickup Washington made this off-season was bringing Al Saunders on board to calls plays. If Brunell can execute the Saunders playbook, the Redskins are a Super Bowl threat. If he can't keep himself on the field, they aren't a playoff team. (For the record, I love Jason Campbell's upside, but he might have to go through some growing pains if forced to play)."

We are a superbowl threat now. I can't wait to witness it.

Archived