Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Honda help....

Tarhog

I know someone works for Honda :)

I'm likely to trade in my pickup for a new car in the next month. My biggest priority is gas mileage - I drive nearly an hour each way to work every day, and I'll likely do some long trips in this thing and so comfort, a little sportiness, and good quality and interior electronics are also factors. I've done some internet research, and I'm leaning towards either a 2006 Honda Civic Coupe, or a Civic Sedan. I like the looks of the Coupe better, but other than better steering and brakes and some accessories, its the same vehicle (same hp, same engine, same gas mileage, etc..) as the Sedan. The Civic Si is really sweet, but it doesn't come close to the gas mileage ratings for the other two.

Has anyone here had experience with the Civic Coupe or Civic Sedan? I'm mildly interested in the Civic Hybrid (reportedly gets 50 miles to the gallon) but a little wary of a relatively new model and what I'm guessing is a fairly low power engine.

Any input would be appreciated!

I thought the new hybrid civic was all hype until I met my aunt-in-law a few months ago for the first time in NC. It is NOT all hype. A beautiful,amazing car with a factory system that will blow you......away.;) Also, the mileage is not 50mpg, but it is damn close....probably closer to 42mpg, still high.

Additionally, my mother-in-law owns a pilot......kinda awkward looking on the outside, but the most fun of anything I have ever driven. It's one of those you drive and talk about for a while after you drive.

Do you have your mind set on Honda?

I drive about an hour each way to work also, and bought a 2006 VW Jetta TDI last summer. I've been consistently getting 45-47 mpg in the winter and 42-44mpg in the summer (A/C sucks some gas..err..diesel). The car is super comfortable, comes with just about every option standard, and hasn't given me any troubles through the first 20k miles. Has good power for such a fuel efficient vehicle. Also, with the diesel engine you only have to change the oil every 10k miles, so saves on routine maintenance costs. I was impressed with the build quality of the car. The fit and finish is very good. It feels great at speed on the highway too. Dunno about the price of the Hondas, but the Jetta was about 23k out of the showroom if I remember right.

Besides....everyone has a Honda :)

I drive a 2002 Civic LX Coupe. I guess I've had it for 4 years now. I've driven about 35,000 miles, including once across the country, and I've had no problems whatsoever.

It gets 33-35mpg in the city and 40-42mpg on the highway. On my cross-country drive, it was amusing when my friends would always have to stop for gas before I did even though they had much larger gas tanks, and their bill was always twice what mine was.

It's pretty roomy inside for a 2-door, and just this past July 4th I was driving around Philadelphia with 5 people in it. The trunk is also surprisingly large, especially when you fold down the back seat.

I know the '06 Civic is a new model, but one great thing about driving a Civic is that it's a very popular car, so if you want to buy parts or whatever it's very easy, and you can always find people that have done it before. I installed after-market headlights on my own a while back after a truck backed into one of my lights, and just a month ago I installed a new stereo (I was poor 4 years ago and didn't even have a CD player until now).

I guess my only complaints would be that the factory stereo wasn't great, and you're never going to get great power from a 4-cylinder engine. Otherwise, my Civic has been incredibly reliable, and I really couldn't be happier with it.

I drive about an hour each way to work also, and bought a 2006 VW Jetta TDI last summer. I've been consistently getting 45-47 mpg in the winter and 42-44mpg in the summer (A/C sucks some gas..err..diesel). The car is super comfortable, comes with just about every option standard, and hasn't given me any troubles through the first 20k miles. Has good power for such a fuel efficient vehicle. Also, with the diesel engine you only have to change the oil every 10k miles, so saves on routine maintenance costs. I was impressed with the build quality of the car. The fit and finish is very good. It feels great at speed on the highway too. Dunno about the price of the Hondas, but the Jetta was about 23k out of the showroom if I remember right.

I'm not set in stone. Funny you mention the Jetta, that was the first thing I pined for, but I was turned off by the really mediocre gas mileage the non-diesel versions got. I really have never considered a diesel but its something to think about. I love the look of that car. I've also been warned about service and parts prices, but I think there are issues there no matter what you buy.

Good info Raub, I didn't even know VW was offering a deisel option. Deisel engines are supposed to go on forever.

I worked for Honda as shop quality controler back in the late 80's and have been sold on the product ever since. Through the grapevine, I've heard the most of the Hybrids on the market to date don't live up to the billing. Going back some years ago, we had a 90 Civic 3 door SI, and were getting 43 on the highway. The engines of today are more efficiant, so keeping to a standard gas engine should still give you good fuel economy, with the better proformance over a hybrid.

Our honda never gave us any problems, held it's value well, and sold quickly when the time came. I'm also high on Toyota......... :)

I'm not set in stone. Funny you mention the Jetta, that was the first thing I pined for, but I was turned off by the really mediocre gas mileage the non-diesel versions got. I really have never considered a diesel but its something to think about. I love the look of that car. I've also been warned about service and parts prices, but I think there are issues there no matter what you buy.

Volkswagons have electrical problems.

Hondas run forever.

I had a Honda Civic.

Paid 15K.

Drove it for 140K miles.

No problems.

I totaled it. I wrecked it. The insurance company paid me $5300 dollars for it 10 years later.

Thats a Honda. It drives forever and holds it's value. Nothing you could get from a VW. :2cents:

Buy American

global market dude. toyota has factories in america, and honda is putting theirs in soon.

tarhog, for what you described, you'll probably love the civ if you pick it up. VWs tend to have more electrical gremlins (when things DO go wrong), but are fair in reliability otherwise. good luck with the search.

Is VW offering the new "clean diesel". I ask because the standards for diesel emissions are changing in the US. VW has pioneered new diesel technology, but not keeping up with the latest, I don't know if it's hit the streets.

New model diesels will have to meet the same exact emission standards as gas engines in the US. Don't know when it goes into effect. For what it's worth, my 1980 VW rabbit diesel had over 300K on it when I laid it to rest :laugh:

You should really check out the Camry Hybrid. I've read reviews on it and it was amazing. Road and Track flogged it for over a month and they AVERAGED 54 mpg. Thats not what "the sticker" says either. Thats what Road and Track magazine got. They said it was the most powerful hybrid they've ever driven too.

At least do some research on it before you buy the honda.

By the way, my wife drives a honda odyssey, and we love it.

My first car was a Civic Sedan, and I drove it into the ground, from Nova to Calif. and back 3 times, all over the place. It was indestructible, but pretty bare bones inside. I really like the Civic Coupe's looks and its got a sweet interior 30-38 mpg advertised, and the EX version comes with a nav system, sunroof, lots of goodies. Its slightly smaller inside than the Civic Sedan, but thats about the only downside I can see.

Everyone talking about VW and electrical problems is dredging up stuff from previous generations of vehicles. The current Mk V Jetta has been out for almost 2 years and there haven't been any "gremlins" occurring that I'm aware of.

VW is not offering TDIs in the US for the 2007 model year because our diesel fuel is not up to the specs for the engine. The diesel fuel in Europe is cleaner...or something like that. So...you would have to find a left over 2006 model.

My first car was a Civic Sedan, and I drove it into the ground, from Nova to Calif. and back 3 times, all over the place. It was indestructible, but pretty bare bones inside. I really like the Civic Coupe's looks and its got a sweet interior 30-38 mpg advertised, and the EX version comes with a nav system, sunroof, lots of goodies. Its slightly smaller inside than the Civic Sedan, but thats about the only downside I can see.

There is no downside to the Civic imo.

Hybrids on the otherhand are unknown commodoties with the battery life. Plus you really need to do alot of start and stop driving.

I know someone works for Honda :)

I'm likely to trade in my pickup for a new car in the next month. My biggest priority is gas mileage - I drive nearly an hour each way to work every day, and I'll likely do some long trips in this thing and so comfort, a little sportiness, and good quality and interior electronics are also factors. I've done some internet research, and I'm leaning towards either a 2006 Honda Civic Coupe, or a Civic Sedan. I like the looks of the Coupe better, but other than better steering and brakes and some accessories, its the same vehicle (same hp, same engine, same gas mileage, etc..) as the Sedan. The Civic Si is really sweet, but it doesn't come close to the gas mileage ratings for the other two.

Has anyone here had experience with the Civic Coupe or Civic Sedan? I'm mildly interested in the Civic Hybrid (reportedly gets 50 miles to the gallon) but a little wary of a relatively new model and what I'm guessing is a fairly low power engine.

Any input would be appreciated!

drove my friends civic hybrid and it was nice. 50+ mph around town, but would get less on the hyw due to the gas engine running instead of the electric motors.

Tarhog,

Recently bought a 2006 Civic sedan for $16,500 (lx model). I do a lot of driving for work, so I needed an economy car. I did the math for the hybrid which cost 6,000 more, I would have to drive the car 250K miles to break even. I am getting about 37 mpg and the hybrids, I heard can get 50 mpg, but it probably more like 46. BTW I love the car.

Before my civic I drove pickup trucks until moving into management and having to travel. I then bought a used 1990 CRX. Probably the best car I ever drove (get 45 mpg after 150K miles helped too).

Good luck with which ever car you go with. Hondas do have a great reputation. :cheers:

Archived