Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17585/kevin-kimbo-slice-ferguson-vs-matt-mitrione-targeted-for-ufc-113-in-montreal.mma

Get ready folks. The "Kimbo Show" is making its way to pay-per-view.

A heavyweight matchup between "The Ultimate Fighter 10" cast members Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson (4-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC) and Matt Mitrione (1-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) is currently in the works for the main card of the as-yet-unannounced UFC 113 event in Montreal.

The matchup was first reported by FiveOuncesOfPain.com, and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has since learned from sources close to the event that both parties have verbally agreed to the contest, though bout agreements have yet to be finalized.

UFC 113 is expected to take place at the Bell Centre on May 1 and feature a main event between light heavyweight rivals Lyoto Machida and Mauricio "Shogun" Rua.

The enigmatic Slice makes his pay-per-view debut after gracing the airwaves of CBS, Spike TV and Showtime. The former EliteXC star competed on the 10th season of "The Ultimate Fighter," though he was eliminated by eventual tournament winner Roy Nelson.

smh @ this **** being on the main card of a ppv

Rematch with Rampage? Rubber match with Wandy? Lots of good possibilities if he does sign.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/01/15/ricardo-arona-says-he-is-headed-to-ufc/

Ricardo Arona Says He Is Headed to UFC

Ricardo Arona could be making his long-awaited debut for the UFC.

"I can't talk about this project right now, but there's a connection between me and the UFC now, something concrete that I didn't have before," Arona is quoted as saying to TATAME.com. "My return will be in the end of the year and will be in the UFC."

Arona fought under the PRIDE umbrella exclusively from 2001 through 2007 and was considered one of the top light heavyweights in the world from 2001 to 2005. Arona holds wins over Alistair Overeem, Wanderlei Silva, Kazushi Sakuraba, Dan Henderson and more. In 2005, he ran through his opponents in the PRIDE Grand Prix before losing in the finals to Mauricio "Shogun" Rua.

Last September, Arona fought for the first time in his career outside of Japan, winning a unanimous decision against Marvin Eastman at Bitetti Combat 4 in Brazil.

Even for those that aren't familiar with Arona, he's probably been seen before through numerous highlight reels and video packages -- as the recipient of a powerbomb (video above) from Quinton "Rampage" Jackson.

According to TATAME, Arona suffered a knee injury against Eastman and is currently going through physical therapy and hopes to return to action by September or October.

Rematch with Rampage? Rubber match with Wandy? Lots of good possibilities if he does sign.

Well, that's exciting. I hope he has retained some of his old form. I did not see the Eastman fight, but I am not sure how much could be taken from it, as Eastman has lost five of his last six fights.

Yeah. He was in our wedding this past fall.

However, it's not just that, Matt and I were reading through the play-by-play and Lennox got Ricky in a reverse crucifix and Ricky basically picked him up in a fireman's carry and slammed him. I really wanted to see that, lol!

It sucks that his fight was not aired, but hopefully he got rewarded...

UFC signs Rick Story to new four-fight deal

by Steven Marrocco on Jan 19, 2010 at 1:00 pm ET

Following his second consecutive octagon victory, the Ultimate Fighting Championship has signed Rick Story to a new four-fight deal.

Story, a Washington native who fights alongside UFC welterweight Mike Pierce at Brave Legion Fight Club, defeated Jesse Lennox on points on Jan. 11 at UFC Fight Night 20.

"I'm very happy to be fighting in the UFC," Story told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) on Tuesday. "I hope to go through this contract as fast as my last one."

Story (9-3 MMA, 2-1 UFC) went through his original 16-month, four-fight contract – signed in January 2009 in the event that Karo Parisyan couldn't make his UFC 94 fight with Dong Hyun Kim – in a year flat.

Story made his octagon debut at UFC 99 and dropped a decision to German fight John Hathaway on his home turf. The loss snapped a six-fight win streak, which included wins over notables such as Brandon Melendez, Jake Ellenberger and Ryan Healy.

But at UFC 103 this past September, the 25-year-old fighter made headlines for banking two bonuses in his fight with Brian Foster – a "Submission of the Night" award for choking Foster from the guard with an arm triangle, and a "Fight of the Night" bonus for the barnburner they put on leading to the second-round stoppage. The two awards resulted in $130,000 in extra pay for Story.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17608/ufc-signs-rick-story-to-new-four-fight-deal.mma

Edited by lovetoaster

Brock news coming tomorrow....

Ailing UFC champ Brock Lesnar gives health update Wednesday on ESPN

by Dann Stupp on Jan 19, 2010 at 1:45 pm ET

The Ultimate Fighting Championship will no longer host a planned press conference for the fighter, but UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar instead will appear on Wednesday's edition of ESPN's "SportsCenter" to give an update on his health status.

A UFC spokesperson today confirmed the media appearance with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), which is slated to begin at 11 a.m. ET.

Lesnar has been out of action since July due to an illness.

The ailment, initially diagnosed as mononucleosis and then diverticulitis, forced Lesnar out of a scheduled November UFC 106 headliner with Shane Carwin.

In recent months UFC president Dana White said the condition could be career-ending. He expected to get an update on Lesnar last week, but he later stated the update would be given at a UFC-hosted press conference this week.

Instead, Lesnar is scheduled to appear on "SportsCenter," where he's expected to give an update on his health status and a timetable for a possible return. Both White and Lesnar's camp have been tight-lipped about the illness in recent months. However, Lesnar's trainer, Greg Nelson, told MMAjunkie.com earlier this month that Lesnar "will fight again," though a timetable wasn't known.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17609/ailing-ufc-champ-brock-lesnar-gives-health-update-wednesday-on-espn.mma

Edited by lovetoaster

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17609/ailing-ufc-champ-brock-lesnar-gives-health-update-wednesday-on-espn.mma

The Ultimate Fighting Championship will no longer host a planned press conference for the fighter, but UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar instead will appear on Wednesday's edition of ESPN's "SportsCenter" to give an update on his health status.

A UFC spokesperson today confirmed the media appearance with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), which is slated to begin at 11 a.m. ET.

Lesnar has been out of action since July due to an illness.

The ailment, initially diagnosed as mononucleosis and then diverticulitis, forced Lesnar out of a scheduled November UFC 106 headliner with Shane Carwin.

In recent months UFC president Dana White said the condition could be career-ending. He expected to get an update on Lesnar last week, but he later stated the update would be given at a UFC-hosted press conference this week.

Instead, Lesnar is scheduled to appear on "SportsCenter," where he's expected to give an update on his health status and a timetable for a possible return. Both White and Lesnar's camp have been tight-lipped about the illness in recent months. However, Lesnar's trainer, Greg Nelson, told MMAjunkie.com earlier this month that Lesnar "will fight again," though a timetable wasn't known.

With Lesnar unlikely to return anytime soon even if given a clean bill of health, the UFC will award an interim title to the winner of March's UFC 111 fight between contenders Frank Mir and Carwin. White said Lesnar could be stripped of the title outright if his illness keeps him out of the cage for an extended period of time.

Of course, UFC officials and heavyweight fighters alike are anxious for the former WWE star, who's already proven to be a top UFC pay-per-view draw, to return. The division is arguably its deepest in years; in addition to Mir and Carwin, fellow contenders Cain Velasquez and Antonio Rodrigo Noguiera meet next month at UFC 110, and Junior Dos Santos is a win or two away from a title shot

I've got Koscheck by RNC if anyone wants to revive the MMA thread sig bets :D

http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/01/18/josh-koscheck-says-paul-daleys-next-at-ufc-113/

Josh Koscheck Says Paul Daley Is Next at UFC 113

The long-rumored Josh Koscheck (14-4) vs. Paul Daley (23-8-2) welterweight clash is apparently close to becoming a reality, as Koscheck tweeted Monday that he will be fighting "Semtex" at UFC 113.

Koscheck was scheduled to face Paulo Thiago at UFC 109 next month, but was forced to pull out due to injury. Meanwhile, Daley is coming off a first-round knockout of Dustin Hazelett at UFC 108.

Here's what Koscheck tweeted:

"Ok here we go, let the sh** talking start. I am fighting Daley, MAY 1 co main event UFC113. This kid is going 2 get what he's asking 4. XOXO"

Immediately following his victory over Hazelett, Daley began focusing his attention on the American Top Team member.

"I've said I want Koscheck," Daley told MMA Fighting last week. "I'm so serious about this -- I want Koscheck. Koscheck isn't asking for me; I'm waiting for him. He had an injury -- this is his first time back in the gym this week. I could have taken a different fight, but I'm waiting for him. I feel like I have something to prove not only to the UFC but to all the chumps on the Internet that talk sh*t and say, 'Daley's got no ground game; Daley's got no takedown defense.' Whatever. I want to see what their excuse is going to be after I knock Koscheck out."

MMA Fighting has learned that both fighters have verbally agreed to the bout, yet official agreements have not been signed.

Daley is 2-0 since making his Octagon debut in September, defeating Martin Kampmann at UFC 103 and Hazelett at UFC 108.

Koscheck was recently victorious at UFC 106 against Anthony Johnson. The American Kickboxing Academy product also picked up a win over Frank Trigg at UFC 103 since losing in shocking fashion to Thiago via first-round TKO.

The UFC 113 event hasn't been officially announced by the organization. It has been rumored to take place on May 1 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

Is that an eye-poke by Koscheck, or an eye-poke by Daley causing a DQ? Details, man, details. :D

Toast-

Punch by Daley, claimed an eye poke by Kos (which gives him 5 minutes to collect himself), then a new intentional eye poke by Kos FTW. :D

Edited by Chachie

Dana & Lesnar on sportscenter said that he's recovered from his illnesses, and he will fight the winner of Mir/Carwin sometime in the summer

Good to hear. Love him or hate him, I think pretty much everybody is glad that the big guy is coming back soon. It does sound like his medical condition was no BS and that it was pretty serious for a while.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=Aj13fLFJF4yi5IdeQPI34AI9Eo14?slug=dm-shamrock011810&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Bob Shamrock, the adoptive father of mixed martial arts legends Ken and Frank Shamrock, two of the sport’s biggest stars in its embryonic period, passed away on Thursday at the age of 68 due to health problems brought on by diabetes.

Shamrock was the father figure for a wild group of younger fighters in the mid-90s, who called themselves the Lion’s Den, the forerunner today’s major camps. In MMA’s early days, the Lion’s Den, a group of guys who were always together at the early UFC and overseas events, stood out amid the strange assortment of characters that were prevalent at the time.

But Bob Shamrock should best be remembered as unique, outgoing, and overly friendly man with a huge heart who gave hope to hundreds of California teenagers over 30 years caught up in the dead end of the foster-care system, through his Shamrock Boys Home in Susanville, Calif.

Click link for full article... many other fighters mentioned.

And Frank Mir gained 20. I wonder (assuming Mir beats Carwin) how they will stack up weight-wise when their rubber match is made.

I'm not sure but I'm looking forward to that match more than I thought I would. I think it's because of Mir's quick defeat of Kongo. I'm actually pretty interested in Mir/Carwin too.

By looking at him though, he doesn't look like he's lost 40 lbs. I bet a lot of it was water weight.

*Edit: nm.... he said that he started eating and working out again and put on 30 lbs.

Edited by #98QBKiller

I'm not sure but I'm looking forward to that match more than I thought I would. I think it's because of Mir's quick defeat of Kongo. I'm actually pretty interested in Mir/Carwin too.

By looking at him though, he doesn't look like he's lost 40 lbs. I bet a lot of it was water weight.

*Edit: nm.... he said that he started eating and working out again and put on 30 lbs.

I think a rubber match will go pretty much exactly like the first two fights except no win for Mir. Other than that 5 seconds of submission, it was all Brock through both fights. For the record I'll be rooting for Frank despite his obnoxious ego blowing up to new levels in the last year. I still can't stand Lesnar, but Mir is creeping up right behind him on my jerk list.

(That choke of Kongo was really impressive but Cheick has not proven to be what he was hyped as. As it turns out, beating Cro Cop is no big deal anymore.)

(That choke of Kongo was really impressive but Cheick has not proven to be what he was hyped as. As it turns out, beating Cro Cop is no big deal anymore.)

That's true. Cro Cop has totally fallen off. I hate to say it but it seems like he has some kind of excuse every fight. He's turning into Tito Ortiz. :silly: