Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Happy Birthday

NavyDave

Nice pic of Old Glory and how is that part of NM?

My buds told me New Mexico is as gorgeous as parts of Arizona that I've travelled thru.

Took that picture myself. One of the best parts of going to Baltimore was going to Ft. McHenry.

As for southern NM - it's a bit hot lately (100+-) but the fall and winter are particularly nice. It's desert down here, unlike Santa Fe/Albq which are a little higher. It's beautiful in an austere kind of way. And the mountains are only a couple hours away to escape the heat.

O beautiful for spacious skies,

For amber waves of grain,

For purple mountain majesties

Above the fruited plain!

America! America!

God shed His grace on thee,

And crown thy good

With brotherhood,

From sea to shining sea!

O beautiful for pilgrim feet

Whose stern impassioned stress

A thoroughfare for freedom beat

Across the wilderness!

America! America!

God mend thine ev'ry flaw,

Confirm thy soul

In self-control,

Thy liberty in law!

O beautiful for heroes proved

In liberating strife,

Who more than self their country loved,

And mercy more than life!

America! America!

May God thy gold refine

Till all success

In nobleness,

And ev'ry gain divine!

O beautiful for patriot dream

That sees beyond the years

Thine alabaster cities gleam

Undimmed by human tears!

America! America!

God shed His grace on thee

And crown thy good

With brotherhood

From sea to shining sea!

I'd feel a little more enthusiastic about this birthday if we didn't have soldiers overseas torturing, raping, and killing people - Abu Ghraib, Guantanamo, the rape and murder of the girl in Mahmoudiya...and for every disgusting incident that comes out in the news, how many go unreported or undiscovered? Instead of making legal arguments about why the Geneva Convention doesn't apply to some "enemy combatants," maybe it would help if Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld would come out and say "we are not going to torture or mistreat anyone, period." It does a disservice to all those who have served the country with honor and distinction, not to mention the principles of individual rights and due process of law on which this country's foundation was laid. I just can't get too excited about this birthday.

I'd feel a little more enthusiastic about this birthday if we didn't have soldiers overseas torturing, raping, and killing people - Abu Ghraib, Guantanamo, the rape and murder of the girl in Mahmoudiya...and for every disgusting incident that comes out in the news, how many go unreported or undiscovered? Instead of making legal arguments about why the Geneva Convention doesn't apply to some "enemy combatants," maybe it would help if Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld would come out and say "we are not going to torture or mistreat anyone, period." It does a disservice to all those who have served the country with honor and distinction, not to mention the principles of individual rights and due process of law on which this country's foundation was laid. I just can't get too excited about this birthday.

Your post literally makes me sick. Shame on you for taking a 'tribute to this great country' thread and using it to make your own political rant. Theres a time and place for that - this isn't it.

The US military doesn't need Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld to say anything, we already are held to the Law of War which prohibits all of the crimes you so cavalierly ascribe to our forces.

Happy 4th of July.

Your post literally makes me sick. Shame on you for taking a 'tribute to this great country' thread and using it to make your own political rant. Theres a time and place for that - this isn't it.

The US military doesn't need Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld to say anything, we already are held to the Law of War which prohibits all of the crimes you so cavalierly ascribe to our forces.

Happy 4th of July.

As always, you we're much nicer then I would be :laugh: Well said !

Happy Birthday America

You're the same idiot in another thread who in fact bashed (through insinuation) a former Cowboy (Irvin) who for once stuck up for Monk (a Redskin) and said he should be in the Hall...go get a credibility license.

Ever heard the saying one bad apple...so I guess that means every person from North Korea, or the Middle East, or the Philippines is a terrorists or bad people? I guess all black people are criminals and all people who like country music are dumb white people :doh: ...you're a joke bro!

HEY PAL I HAVE A SOLUTION...MOVE!!!!!!!!

HTTR! and AMERICA!

HAPPY 4TH ALL!

Your a jackass!!!

You're the same idiot in another thread who in fact bashed (through insinuation) a former Cowboy (Irvin) who for once stuck up for Monk (a Redskin) and said he should be in the Hall...go get a credibility license.

Ever heard the saying one bad apple...so I guess that means every person from North Korea, or the Middle East, or the Philippines is a terrorists or bad people? I guess all black people are criminals and all people who like country music are dumb white people :doh: ...you're a joke bro!

HTTR! and AMERICA!

HAPPY 4TH ALL!

I agree with you, loudmoth!!!

This is just outright WRONG! As American's it's the easiest thing to be PROUD. If you're not proud, you'd be better off just not being part of what a free nation is. I agree that if you can't recognize the achievements and unity of a country then what's the point of you being here??

I AM, LIKE THE MAJORITY OF EVERYONE IN EXTREME, PROUND AS F*** TO CELEBRATE THE BIRTHDATE OF OUR COUNTRY!!!

Happy 4th everyone!!! Just keepin' it real!!!

you dont like it, get the hell out of the country, and the next time you decide to go on these little rants, think of what those terrorist SOBs do to Americans and others from other countries everyday on a regular basis.

DP-Football.jpg

the best possible combo ever.

Not to turn this into an even more political thread (cause I know this isn't the place for it), but I just feel a little bit of need to defend the guy who brought up bad stuff about our country, or stuff he feels could make it even better. Yes, today is about being a patriot, and I do love this country, but what I love most is the freedom all of us enjoy to say what we want and express how we feel about everything. To say that you love the country and to speak about things you feel that are wrong about it are not mutually exclusive acts, indeed I feel it is the DUTY of citizens to do so.

There are a lot of places in the world where someone might be scared to post something like swaroopm did for fear of retaliation by instruments of the government. Thank god the USA isn't such a place, we're a free democratic country where disagreement is a protected right. There was a similar op-ed today in the WP about how being critical of gov't IS patriotic: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/03/AR2006070300925.html

And yes, I'm glad that everyone who disagrees with him also has the opportunity to say so and takes that opportunity, my criticism is more directed to the "well if you don't like it so much leave" reaction. No, people don't have to leave, they can try to CHANGE things, to change other's minds through argument, debate, etc. It's called democracy, and it's a pretty darned good thing if you ask me!

Anyway, just thought I'd point out how this thread celebrating our country ILLUSTRATES how GREAT our country really is, cause that's what it made me think of! Alright, enough politics, this is on the STADIUM board because, in reality, it is supposed to be a CHEER (or at least that's the best justification I could come up with) so I'll join.

Happy 230th USA!!!!!! God Bless America!!!!

I agree with a lot of what you say. War is disgusting.

I can't believe that someone would take so much heat for a nonviolent message. I agree that posting it here was tactless, but people should let the man have his word. He does have a point.

To say that you love the country and to speak about things you feel that are wrong about it are not mutually exclusive acts, indeed I feel it is the DUTY of citizens to do so.

There are a lot of places in the world where someone might be scared to post something like swaroopm did for fear of retaliation by instruments of the government. Thank god the USA isn't such a place, we're a free democratic country where disagreement is a protected right.

Thanks for this post.

I recognize that I'm outspoken, and I often think that I'm very lucky to live in this country where I can be outspoken without fear of being killed for it. I don't know how I'd manage if that wasn't the case. There are a lot of places in the world where I probably would already have been shot.

This is just outright WRONG! As American's it's the easiest thing to be PROUD. If you're not proud, you'd be better off just not being part of what a free nation is. I agree that if you can't recognize the achievements and unity of a country then what's the point of you being here??

One thing that has always made me proud to be an American is the way we have been a shining light to the world. We have set a great example of freedom, opportunity, democracy, and egalitarianism, and for decades the world has looked at us as the ideal. I am sad to see that image tarnished in recent years (as it surely has been) by the abuses perpetrated by some members of our military...a military that is under a great deal of pressure and stress in difficult circumstances (which would lend itself to abuses). I don't feel as proud this July 4 for the same reason that some people around the world may no longer look at us as the ideal.

the next time you decide to go on these little rants, think of what those terrorist SOBs do to Americans and others from other countries everyday on a regular basis.

I do think about it, and I just don't want us to come anywhere close to stooping to the level of the "terrorist SOBs" - no torture, no atrocity, no abuse, period, because we only do things the right way and because we set the example for the world to follow. Then I'd be very proud.

Anyway, just thought I'd point out how this thread celebrating our country ILLUSTRATES how GREAT our country really is, cause that's what it made me think of! Alright, enough politics, this is on the STADIUM board because, in reality, it is supposed to be a CHEER (or at least that's the best justification I could come up with) so I'll join.

Thanks - well put.

HTTR! and AMERICA!

HAPPY 4TH ALL!

You heard Michael Irvin say that? Because I can't understand a damn thing he says.

WA WA WA

GET A LIFE

GOD BLESS ALL WHO ARE SERVING

GOD BLESS

Archived