Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Funny feeling about Holdman

tenken627

.....sorry I take that way over the bulk of couch potatoe's here that think they know so much.......JMHO......
There is a big difference from watching the game sitting on your ass in your lounge chair slurping on a brew, criticising and finding fault than it is to actually be on the field participating:(

If we're all beer slurping couch potatoe's who know nothing, then what is the point of having a board like this?

I still believe getting rid of LaVar will be this defense downfall and as much as people are saying he isn't healthy, something tells me that he is going to be VERY HEALTHY 2 times a year, when he plays us!

...we were playing without Arrington for an entire season's woth of games over the last 2 years. The D seemed to do pretty good without him, didn't they?

{

...nobody disputes Arrington's physical talent. It was mental discipline/tendency to freelance, and personality conflicts (him & Gibbs, him & Lindsey, Poston & Snyder, etc.) that led to him leaving. He can bust up people with the best in the league, but just throw a pass to the FB in the flats (a la Jim Finn 4 years ago) & more often than not, he won't be there to cover it.

Truly, it's not a bad thing to be a freelance--IF your instincts are correct 100% of the time. But that's a lot to expect. (Parcells used to let LT freelance within the system because his speed & talent made it a winning proposition most of the time...but most players aren't LT).

Maybe Arrington can do that in NY, but it has to fit within their defensive scheme/game plan. We'll see if he can do that on Coughlin's team.

This defense played extremely well without Arrington last year, so he's no loss (even though I'm still a closet fan). Even if Holdman plays decent, unspectacular football like he did in Cleveland, I'd take it. I don't need the Holdman of 2001, I just need a 13 game starter who doesn't give Tiki Barber those huge cutbacks anymore.

Great thread, I too am one of the Holdman haters, I thought he was going to be released after hearing about Rocky, Havner and Simon. You're right about the desire part... we've just got to trust that lindsay, gw etc. know exactly what they're doing. After reading about him "owing" the redskins, I'm hoping for great things from him. He seems like a standup guy that may come up big for us.

Here's hoping!

Holdman last year simply could not get off of blocks, simple as that. If an O-lineman got close, he was effectively gone for the rest of the play. Hopefully he can improve on that, but that remains to be seen as it does not really show up untill the pads go on in training camp.

If he truely is back, it can only be good for the team. If Rocky ends up on the bench some because Warrick is playing well, then there is no negative to the situation. Who cares where Rocky was drafted, it's about playing the best guy for the job.

I remember him when he was with the Bears and with the Browns. Most of his tackles came from chasing down the play and making the tackle from behind. He was never good at taking on opposing blockers, OL, FB, etc. That is not his strength.

But in GW scheme, he has to take on the blockers then prevent the back from getting to the outside, not his strength and he will continue to struggle and this will be seen once the pads are on and the real contact begins.

I look for him to start the first few games just because GW does not like or allow rookies to be thrown directly into the fire. He lets them get a sense of comfort then increases the rookie's playing time until they have a good grasp of what is expected of them.

Holdman will be the most interesting Redskin to watch this season. It sounds like he COULD be very much improved this year. However, he does not get the benefit of the doubt after his horrific last season.

But just think of him as possibly the Mark Brunell of last season.

I hate all the good stuff being said about Holdman. I wont believe hes improved until I see him on the field on a sunday or monday. Besides, id rather have him playing with a chip on his shoulder trying to prove to everyone that hes not a worthless linebacker then coming in being praised for his work in OTAs.... (See Taylor Jacobs)

After reading about 23948729348 articles that they are writing on Warrick Holdman the past few months, I just get this feeling that Holdman will be the most improved Redskin this year by far.

Even a funny feeling that he will be one of the leaders of the team in tackles.

Gregg Williams' schemes rely on the linebackers to make the plays, and they bring out the best out of unknowns such as Lemar Marshall and Antonio Pierce. Marcus Washington was good in Indy, but here he became a top-notched linebacker. And part of the reason they they exceeded expectations was their DESIRE. Marshall and Pierce were undrafted, and had to fight out others their whole careers. Washington wanted to prove that he was a top linebacker in the league and even outshone longtime fan favorite Arrington. They all got a chance in Gregg Williams' defense.

As long as you are healthy, and have the desire to learn, play, improve, Gregg will use you. Michael Barrow or Lavar Arrington couldn't or wouldn't do one of those, and they are no longer here.

Everyone has ripped on Warrick, including me on many occasions. The media and the fans had the harshest words for him out of anyone on the team last year. But unlike Lavar who would pout at his treatment like a little boy, Warrick manned up about himself, called himself a disgrace last year, and is now working to improve.

He wants to bring his play back to earlier levels when he had 100+ tackle seasons that he enjoyed before joining the Redskins. He wants to show the team that he is thankful to be here unlike others, that he wasn't a wasted pickup and that he can help the team. He even has said that he OWES the Redskins for last year. And so far it seems like they aren't empty promises, and he just seems to keep on working in his own humble way.

The pads aren't even on, and its only been OTAs and minicamp, but true desire goes a long way.

I feel the same way about him being our most improved player on D. On O I have a feeling it will be D.P. lets cross our fingers and see.

Archived