Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Funny feeling about Holdman

tenken627

After reading about 23948729348 articles that they are writing on Warrick Holdman the past few months, I just get this feeling that Holdman will be the most improved Redskin this year by far.

Even a funny feeling that he will be one of the leaders of the team in tackles.

Gregg Williams' schemes rely on the linebackers to make the plays, and they bring out the best out of unknowns such as Lemar Marshall and Antonio Pierce. Marcus Washington was good in Indy, but here he became a top-notched linebacker. And part of the reason they they exceeded expectations was their DESIRE. Marshall and Pierce were undrafted, and had to fight out others their whole careers. Washington wanted to prove that he was a top linebacker in the league and even outshone longtime fan favorite Arrington. They all got a chance in Gregg Williams' defense.

As long as you are healthy, and have the desire to learn, play, improve, Gregg will use you. Michael Barrow or Lavar Arrington couldn't or wouldn't do one of those, and they are no longer here.

Everyone has ripped on Warrick, including me on many occasions. The media and the fans had the harshest words for him out of anyone on the team last year. But unlike Lavar who would pout at his treatment like a little boy, Warrick manned up about himself, called himself a disgrace last year, and is now working to improve.

He wants to bring his play back to earlier levels when he had 100+ tackle seasons that he enjoyed before joining the Redskins. He wants to show the team that he is thankful to be here unlike others, that he wasn't a wasted pickup and that he can help the team. He even has said that he OWES the Redskins for last year. And so far it seems like they aren't empty promises, and he just seems to keep on working in his own humble way.

The pads aren't even on, and its only been OTAs and minicamp, but true desire goes a long way.

you really dont know what barrow would have done because he was hurt the whole season then he was released so u really cant say what he would and wouldnt have done

and as for arrington he had his golden years for the skins making the 3 probowls and all and in Gibb's return was really all over the place at the begininng of the season making all kinds of plays until he got hurt and rushed back into the lineup which made his injury worse. then this year he wasnt 100% because it does take like 2 years to come back from a knee injury like that (look ad Edge when he had his) and as a result wasnt very effective and his relationship with the coaches wasnt the best because of his agent but now he is with a new team and ill say best of luck except when u face the skins

I seen Holdman on many occasions last year standing about 5 yards off the line of scrimmage after the ball was snapped. Just standing there!!!! Some running and some passing plays, it was indecision. He didn't attack-attack like GW wants his LB's to do, but we didn't have a choice at the time with Lavar hurt. Unless its an obvious passing down, when we are playing zone or man coverage, GW gives his LB's alot of freedom, there are to read and then react quickly.

Holdmans problem was that he was reading but not reacting quick enough and in the NFL 1 step behind is a whole lot and he was 2 or 3 behind. This year we drafted Rocky, and Clemons is also in the mix for the Will spot. Holdman will not get the job by default, he will have to earn it. Rocky had a minor setback but will push the vet to the max come training camp. The best man will play, rookie or not.

If Holdman gets alot better and wins the job then thats just fine. If he slips though Rocky will take that spot in a heartbeat.:applause:

Training camp up to the season is a whole new ball game. Competition gets more heated, pressure gets higher. It's nice to hear good things coming from him in the offseason thus far, but it won't really be measurable until at least training camp. I hope that his progress continues, but I'm not jumping on his bandwagon yet.

Holdman was a pro-bowl caliber player before a few injuries set him back. That was only a few years ago if I recall. He understands how to play the game, and still has the ability to do so. Last year, it seemed like he was lost in the complexity and lost some passion for the game. This year, all indications are that his passion is back. Hopefully he has picked up on GW's system and is buying into. We'll only be able to tell after the season starts...

Holdman last year simply could not get off of blocks, simple as that. If an O-lineman got close, he was effectively gone for the rest of the play. Hopefully he can improve on that, but that remains to be seen as it does not really show up untill the pads go on in training camp.

If he truely is back, it can only be good for the team. If Rocky ends up on the bench some because Warrick is playing well, then there is no negative to the situation. Who cares where Rocky was drafted, it's about playing the best guy for the job.

After reading about 23948729348 articles that they are writing on Warrick Holdman the past few months, I just get this feeling that Holdman will be the most improved Redskin this year by far.

Even a funny feeling that he will be one of the leaders of the team in tackles.

Gregg Williams' schemes rely on the linebackers to make the plays, and they bring out the best out of unknowns such as Lemar Marshall and Antonio Pierce. Marcus Washington was good in Indy, but here he became a top-notched linebacker. And part of the reason they they exceeded expectations was their DESIRE. Marshall and Pierce were undrafted, and had to fight out others their whole careers. Washington wanted to prove that he was a top linebacker in the league and even outshone longtime fan favorite Arrington. They all got a chance in Gregg Williams' defense.

As long as you are healthy, and have the desire to learn, play, improve, Gregg will use you. Michael Barrow or Lavar Arrington couldn't or wouldn't do one of those, and they are no longer here.

Everyone has ripped on Warrick, including me on many occasions. The media and the fans had the harshest words for him out of anyone on the team last year. But unlike Lavar who would pout at his treatment like a little boy, Warrick manned up about himself, called himself a disgrace last year, and is now working to improve.

He wants to bring his play back to earlier levels when he had 100+ tackle seasons that he enjoyed before joining the Redskins. He wants to show the team that he is thankful to be here unlike others, that he wasn't a wasted pickup and that he can help the team. He even has said that he OWES the Redskins for last year. And so far it seems like they aren't empty promises, and he just seems to keep on working in his own humble way.

The pads aren't even on, and its only been OTAs and minicamp, but true desire goes a long way.

"KUDOS" to you and your insight !!

Agreed, if he can return to pre knee injury form, he can be a stopgap solid LB who can mentor Rocky in how to drive oneself back from injuries to prosper.
Sometimes "no news is good news" I think Holdman has resigned himself to "become the best he can be" and that he will return with "vengence" !! :)

you really dont know what barrow would have done because he was hurt the whole season then he was released so u really cant say what he would and wouldnt have done

and as for arrington he had his golden years for the skins making the 3 probowls and all and in Gibb's return was really all over the place at the begininng of the season making all kinds of plays until he got hurt and rushed back into the lineup which made his injury worse. then this year he wasnt 100% because it does take like 2 years to come back from a knee injury like that (look ad Edge when he had his) and as a result wasnt very effective and his relationship with the coaches wasnt the best because of his agent but now he is with a new team and ill say best of luck except when u face the skins

For whatever it's worth, "makes sense to me " !!!!! :laugh:

I seen Holdman on many occasions last year standing about 5 yards off the line of scrimmage after the ball was snapped. Just standing there!!!! Some running and some passing plays, it was indecision. He didn't attack-attack like GW wants his LB's to do, but we didn't have a choice at the time with Lavar hurt. Unless its an obvious passing down, when we are playing zone or man coverage, GW gives his LB's alot of freedom, there are to read and then react quickly.

Holdmans problem was that he was reading but not reacting quick enough and in the NFL 1 step behind is a whole lot and he was 2 or 3 behind. This year we drafted Rocky, and Clemons is also in the mix for the Will spot. Holdman will not get the job by default, he will have to earn it. Rocky had a minor setback but will push the vet to the max come training camp. The best man will play, rookie or not.

If Holdman gets alot better and wins the job then thats just fine. If he slips though Rocky will take that spot in a heartbeat.:applause:

There is a big difference from watching the game sitting on your ass in your lounge chair slurping on a brew, criticising and finding fault than it is to actually be on the field participating, GW runs a "diciplined defensive scheme" with multiple packages which requires players to "stay at home" and protect the area they are assigned. This was a problem for LaVar and he never recovered from it. Maybe he was given the "free lance" green light at Penn. St., but he never adjusted to what would be required of him in a GW defense. :(

But unlike Lavar who would pout at his treatment like a little boy, Warrick manned up about himself, called himself a disgrace last year, and is now working to improve.

So true.....

I feel the exact same way. I think Holdman is going to have a very productive year. Being upset at yourself and embarrassed about your performance are HUGE motivating factors.

2 of the most talked about players are Patten and Holdman. They both have something to prove.

Funny thing about teams full of guys with things to prove.... they are usually serious championship contenders.

Personally I find this nothing but hype. Holdman is a journeyman at best and if he does have a good season GREAT, your right he owes us especially for that sorry performance at KC, I still believe getting rid of LaVar will be this defense downfall and as much as people are saying he isn't healthy, something tells me that he is going to be VERY HEALTHY 2 times a year, when he plays us! I will get bashed for this but for me and my thoughts about what I look for in a player, LA is it, his pure talent and ability alone are remarkable. When his knee is 100% watch out because the old LaVar of Penn State is coming back much to the detriment of this DEFENSE. For all of you here that say LaVar is this and that, well anytime Brett Farve calls you begging you to come and play for his team, sorry I take that way over the bulk of couch potatoe's here that think they know so much.......JMHO......

There is a big difference from watching the game sitting on your ass in your lounge chair slurping on a brew, criticising and finding fault than it is to actually be on the field participating, GW runs a "diciplined defensive scheme" with multiple packages which requires players to "stay at home" and protect the area they are assigned. This was a problem for LaVar and he never recovered from it. Maybe he was given the "free lance" green light at Penn. St., but he never adjusted to what would be required of him in a GW defense. :(
"Stay at Home" are you nuts!!! LB's who stay at home make tackles 8 yards down field. Message boards are for us, the fans, to praise and dismantle players, sorry if you disagree with me but you are wrong. Holdman played in 10 games last year and made 16, 16!!!!!!!! solo tackles by staying at home and not attacking. Rocky will win that spot if Holdman comes with that same sorry ass effort as last year.

Get ready for Special teams duty Mr. Holdman....:D

When his knee is 100% watch out because the old LaVar of Penn State is coming back much to the detriment of this DEFENSE. For all of you here that say LaVar is this and that, well anytime Brett Farve calls you begging you to come and play for his team, sorry I take that way over the bulk of couch potatoe's here that think they know so much.......JMHO......

Pot, meet kettle.

Archived