Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Update on my possible California move

Mickalino

After all the talk of my move to California and being led to believe that I was a prime candidate for the position, I was notified that I did not get the position, so it looks like I will not be moving to California. But thanks to all of you who assisted me with information on living conditions in California / San Francisco

After all the talk of my move to California and being led to believe that I was a prime candidate for the position, I was notified that I did not get the position, so it looks like I will not be moving to California. But thanks to all of you who assisted me with information on living conditions in California / San Francisco

Aw man, that sucks.

Keep looking - there are always a zillion IT jobs out here.

Sorry if you're disappointed. But I like to believe that things work out for the best, and since the angels are apparently on your side, you should believe it, too. :)

Anyhow, if and when you're sure that you want to try to pursue acting as a career, you should check out Los Angeles to see if you'd like it there. Or, if you love San Francisco, there're always other jobs out there.

:cheers:

From what I hear bro,the people Florida are a lot nicer and it's cheaper to live in Florida than Cali.

Not to say that their aren't any nice people in Cali, nor am I saying their aren't any a-holes in Florida.

I'm just pointing out the bright side.

From what I hear bro,the people Florida are a lot nicer and it's cheaper to live in Florida than Cali.

Not to say that their aren't any nice people in Cali, nor am I saying their aren't any a-holes in Florida.

I agree.. Which is what made me choose Florida over the likes of Cali and NY.

Pros:

1. the cost of living is the same as in Delaware :)

2. theres no State income tax (Just sales Tax) :point2sky

3. the pay is just as good as in Cali and NY. :applause:

4. Theres no car inspection service lines to wait in. (Because there is no inspection). :D

5. Great Bars, hot women, and Frindly people. :cheers:

Cons:

1. The cost of housing has risen dramaticaly. :mad:

2. Threat of Hurricanes. :paranoid:

3. No local redskins TV. :tantrum:

4. Need Direct TV or have to goto a sports bar and watch the Skins play if not covered on primetime TV. :(

Still personally the pros outweight the Cons. :thumbsup:

Ahh but it is... maybe not numberwise but if you factor in costs of living and such you would probably be suprised that the money you have free to use would be the same if not better.

I'd rather make $140K and live in an expensive area such as San Fran, then make $80K and live in Florida.

Ahh but it is... maybe not numberwise but if you factor in costs of living and such you would probably be suprised that the money you have free to use would be the same if not better.

Yes, but that is not what you said and that is a different thing. Everyone acknowledges that the cost of living is higher in California, especially for housing, and few claim that the higher pay we receive entirely makes up for it.

But we do get higher pay for the same job, in some sectors it is a lot higher.

Heck, if purely economic calculations are the only factor, move to Detroit. They will give you a vacant house there for free if you promise to live in it.

True in a matter of speaking you could possibly say that about everywhere. So in essence I probably should have left the pay comment out on my list and left it at that.

No biggie. You make a conscious decision to move to Florida - I made a conscious decision to move to California, and we are both happy with our choices. That's a good thing.

Not offended. People are basically people, wherever you are. I've been to Florida many times, and met some nice people there. :cheers:

If you mean that people are the same every where you go, when you say "people are people".

I definitly have to disagree with that.

Almost every where you go people have different beliefs, and different ways of life.

For example, most places have "bad neighborhoods".

Where I live I can walk any where, at any time of night, and I don't have to worry about getting mugged.

Not to say it won't happen. But there is far less crime from where I live now than where I use to live.

The people are far more nicer and ready to help where I am, than where I use to live.

The kids are much much more friendlier here. No where near as many bullys, and virtually no gangs. If any, there are pretend gangs, but they're harmless.

If you mean that people are the same every where you go, when you say "people are people".

Almost every where you go people have different beliefs, and different ways of life.

Where I live I can walk any where, at any time of night, and I don't have to worry about getting mugged.

Not to say it won't happen. But there is far less crime from where I live now than where I use to live.

The people are far more nicer and ready to help where I am, than where I use to live.

The kids are much much more friendlier here. No where near as many bullys, and virtually no gangs. If any, there are pretend gangs, but they're harmless.

:laugh: The infamous rubber band gang!!

This is all true, of course. Not every place is exactly the same. But California is a state larger than most countries in this world, and to say that people in general are "nicer in Florida than they are in California" is not accurate.

Plus, if you want to talk crime, Florida beats California in every category.

Violent crime per 100,000 residents: CA - 551.8 FL - 711.3

Property crimes per per 100,000 residents: CA - 3149 FL - 4179.

2004 statistics. http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004912.html

Sorry you didn't get the job Mick. I'm sure you would've loved living out here.

I dunno, I've only lived out here for a cpl years and I can say that without a doubt the people are among the most friendly and easy-going I've ever been around. Maybe southern people are more friendly, but that depends on some factors...

This is all true, of course. Not every place is exactly the same. But California is a state larger than most countries in this world, and to say that people in general are "nicer in Florida than they are in California" is not accurate.

Plus, if you want to talk crime, Florida beats California in every category.

Violent crime per 100,000 residents: CA - 551.8 FL - 711.3

Property crimes per per 100,000 residents: CA - 3149 FL - 4179.

2004 statistics. http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004912.html

Cut off Miami and see how that looks. :laugh:

Yeah I guess I shouldn't judge the whole state like that.

And the only opinions I have heard from are from LA.

Cut off Miami and see how that looks. :laugh:

Yeah I guess I shouldn't judge the whole state like that.

And the only opinions I have heard from are from LA.

Cut out LA and California does dang well also. San Francisco, Sacramento and San Diego all have much lower than average crime for their size, and San Jose has the lowest crime level of any major city in the US.

Cut out LA and California does dang well also. San Francisco, Sacramento and San Diego all have much lower than average crime for their size, and San Jose has the lowest crime level of any major city in the US.

Except for it's mayor (San Jose's)...of course that's white collar crime.

Archived