Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SF: NFC Divisional Breakdown

bubba9497

This article was good in analysis of skins but really sucked overall, that statement about the eagles wasn't very educated, escpecially in an NFL where we know anything can happen.

Concerning D-lines, the skins lost NOBODY of importance this offseason and gained a solid young player with potential in Carter.

You have to remember that our starter ALL last season(R.Wynn) is going to be solid depth at that position this year, and he can play inside and out. Our D-line will be improved and looks very good going into this season on paper. I do agree with Tom in the sense that the g-men d-line is arguably as good or better going into this season depending on how much emphasis you place on rush defense vs pass defense.

http://www.steelersfever.com/editorials/0618.html

click link for full article

NFC Divisional Breakdown - By Nick Signorelli

According to most of the e-mails I received, I am insane for saying that the AFC North was going to be the best division in the NFL. The consensus of readers seem to be picking the NFC East in this category, so we’ll start there.

NFC East

Redskins [11-5]

Giants [10-6]

Cowboys [7-9]

Eagles [5-11]

Washington Redskins - The most improved unit of the team is the coaching staff. Football games are won and lost in the trenches. Between offensive coordinator Al Saunders and defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, these are going to be areas where the Redskins will shine. The lines of the Redskins are considerably better than anyone else in the division. With the addition of Andre Carter, the defensive line has improved. Any unit that is led by Williams is going to be a contender. The only real question mark is can QB Mark Brunell stay healthy. If not, Jason Campbell is going to have to play like Ben Roethlisberger did in his rookie year for the ‘Skins to make the playoffs.

New York Giants - Most people have already crowned the G-Men as the division champs. I don't think so. Yes, they did sign LaVar Arrington. That makes the defense the strong unit on the team, but I still need a lot of proof that Eli Manning is going to be able to win the big game. I don't think he can, and he will prove that again this year. I see the Giants making the playoffs, as a wild card team, but making it no farther than the first round.

Dallas Cowboys - I will give TO until week 5 before the INTERNAL problems start, beginning with him not getting enough balls thrown his way from the human statue named Drew Bledsoe. Then, it’ll be another two weeks before those stories start leaking out into the public. TO is a cancer that will harm this team more than he helps it. I will say Dallas’ defense is much improved, but the fact is, this is Bill Parcells’ last year in Dallas, and he is going to go out with a thump.

Philadelphia Eagles - Can anyone tell me how this team improved in anyway, shape or form this off season? I don't question Donovan McNabb’s ability, but without a true No.1 WR, and a running back that has shown he is as fragile as fine china? Anyone that thinks Philly has a chance of even going 8-8 has no clue about football.

Bubba, thank you sharing your article. You are regarded as the "king of the hill", however I must consider these early predictions as being "bogus". We haven't completed OTA'S yet and already there are projections being posted.

It's a very long season ahead and there are a lot of "un-forseen" objects in path.

I acknowledged you had a O line.

I took exception to the guy stating you had a good D-line.

It is by far the weakest in the division and you know it.

based on sack #s??? You my friend have no clue. Best run defense in the NFC East, I hate to tell you but your Run D is as important if not more than your passrush. Did you watch the second Dallas game last year? If our D line sucks, your O line is a train wreck, that just lost its better player. Just because the skins don't have household names on their D line, don't make the moronic statement that our D line is the worst in the division.

I don't agree that our lines are considerably better than anyone else's in the division. The Eagles have depth that we don't have and are certainly comparable in terms of talent; the Giants' lines aren't bad either and their DE's are simply outstanding.

Good to see the respect though I think Eagles will be better than that. I see something like:

Skins 13-3

Cowboys 11-5

Giants 10-6

Eagles 8-8

This would mean our division went 42 - 22. Is that mathematically possible? I didn't read all pages, so I don't know if it was mentioned. Not being a smart ass on this post, I was just wondering. Too lazy to do the math. If it is possible, I would say it is still unlikely from a probability stand point. It would definately define us as the best division in football.

Bubba, thank you sharing your article. You are regarded as the "king of the hill", however I must consider these early predictions as being "bogus". We haven't completed OTA'S yet and already there are projections being posted.

It's a very long season ahead and there are a lot of "un-forseen" objects in path.

Relax, just harmless fun debating during the offseason. Seriously this is all we have to do between bits of information we get now and then from OTA's until Spring training.

Nothing is set in stone, and anything good or bad can happen between now and opening day, heck even after opening day. It is just one of several offseason forecasts posted on the board.

You are kidding right? Cornelius griffin is a top 5 DT in the league, and should be better this year as he has been each of the last 2 years. last year he got hurt. The year before that he had 6 sacks, 75 tackles and led NFL defensive lineman in tackles for a loss.

P-daniels was a LE playing RE, was hurt, and still got 8 sacks and a bunch of tackles for a loss. Renaldo wynn and Joe salavae are about as stout against the run as any D-linemen in the league. Andre Carter hopefully is over the injury (which he could have been last year, if he wasn't made to play stand up LB). I trust Greg williams and I still remember how dominant he was his rookie year. Not to mention how playing next to Griff suddenly makes edge rushing much easier. Daniels will be back at LE and if he gets hurt, or Carter, then our back up is Renaldo Wynn, not UDFA scrubs who play their ass off. I don't think you understand the quality of talent we had playing in the D-Trenches last year. We had Demetric evans playing tackle. He is so far from a tackle its not even funny. Now we have fresh young talent and solid veterans, 3 out of 4 starters are just entering the prime, or are in the middle of it. Daniels is on the wrong side of 30, but like I said - LE is the one place we have depth at.

edit: Not to mention WeOwnU you always bring this up like we didn't have MASSIVE injuries on the D-line last year and still were able to rack up as many D-Line sacks as the Cowgirls, so I would appreciate if you are going to bring it up again, to do more to support your point than strict repetition.

Dude, that post just gave me a joygasm :D

Nice stats. I noticed they are all against the run.

I got 3 words for you...............NO PASS RUSH !!!!!

The most important thing on defense is pass rush. Good consistant pressure. Makes everyone on the field better. Ask Peyton manning.

Face it man, he owned you and you still can't admit it. Give it up, and give our d-line the credit it deserves because you know it does.

The writer of that piece is insane. How can he say football games are won and lost in the trenches......"and thats where the redskins will shine". Is he high? You've got a pretty good O-line, but your D-line is nothing to brag about. Without bringing a blitz, you can't create any pressure whatsoever.

WeownU, I will give you credit for putting thought into your posts and sticking with your team (even though they are lame). I'm willing to hear you out even if you are a dallas fan. However, this post/thread is not one of your better performances. I don't think you can judge a DL based only on the pass rush. The DL has a variety of responsibilities. While the Redskins' DL pass rush is not great (and I think the jury's still out on whether or not Carter will do anything to change that), one should acknowledge that the Redskins' DL is quite solid, especially with the stout run defense. The Redskins have been among the NFL leaders in "opponents' yards per carry" the past two years, and I don't think it's because of the linebackers or secondary. Everyone remembers how Tomlinson beat the Redskins with two late TDs last year, but people seem to forget that (with the Redskins' offense not doing much of anything) the Redskins' defense shut down Tomlinson for pretty much that entire game. He had 37 yards at halftime. Renaldo Wynn and Philip Daniels don't make the flashy plays of a Strahan, but they hold their ground and make the defense work. Meanwhile Cornelius Griffin has to be one of the top D-linemen in the game. If you look up the Redskins' rushing yards against, points against, and wins/losses over the last two years, and compare games where Griffin has played to games where he has not, you'll find a big difference. I can't believe people haven't made a bigger deal about what a difference-maker he is (literally).

This would mean our division went 42 - 22. Is that mathematically possible? I didn't read all pages, so I don't know if it was mentioned. Not being a smart ass on this post, I was just wondering. Too lazy to do the math. If it is possible, I would say it is still unlikely from a probability stand point. It would definately define us as the best division in football.

There is no "a" in "definitely" - sorry, a pet peeve of mine. Anyway, it's not much math. For the sake of simplicity, let's assume there will be no ties. The division gets one win and one loss for every division game, and there are 12 division games. That makes us 12-12 to start off. In theory, the NFC East teams could defeat every opponent outside the division. Thus, (assuming the season is played as scheduled) the best possible record for the division would be 52-12. It's definitely possible for the NFC East to go 42-22, though the Redskins, Giants, Eagles, and cowboys would have to be a combined 30-10 in games outside the division. I'm not sure the division will pull that off, but as soon as the coaches became Gibbs-Coughlin-Reid-parcells, I considered it realistic that we could have a year where no one in the division was worse than 8-8.

Nick Signorelli? So it seems as though most of you guys believe the media has it right this time? I'm starting to observe a very interesting and disturbing pattern on this site. I'm almost done with my study. I'll fill you guys on what it is very soon. This is interesting. :(

Funny thing is it goes both ways. Cowboys fans get equally up in arms over bad press.

Case in point: WeownU's hissy fit on here about some guy in SF not getting on his knees and s-ing Parcells' d- like Peter King does.

Take a look at the Cowboys zone board - Adrian Wilson was compared to Roy Williams and the exact same thing happened.

Do I get up in arms when there is negative press about the Skins - yes, but the vast majority of the times its for half-assed, off the cuff comments like "he won't help the team b/c the Skins over paid" without anything to back it up. Or just plain idiotic comments such as the writer who said Lloyd and Randel El weren't going to improve the #2 and 3 slots this year - and then predicted production from the two of them about double what the 2 and 3 wrs gave the skins last year.

But then again - I am not putting much stock in what this guy said either.

:dallasuck

Everyone talking about whether the skins or the girls have a better d line and whatnot, please, just shut up. It is a team sport. TEAM. say it with me. regardless of one area, the only time they will be on the field alone is in training camp. looking at one part of the team is just ignorant. Felllow redskins fans, dont stoop to the level of the idiotic cowgirls fans. getting into it about whos d-line is better is dumb, and as a skins fan all you have to do is ask them if they remember being outscored 49 to 20 in the season series last year. or if they remember sean taylor decapitating your scrub @$$ wr. and thats on the defensive. to attack the cowboys joke of a d, how about ur "all world" safty getting, for a lack of a better term, "mossed" (lol) 2 times in 5 minutes. or what about your lack of poise on those numerous 4th downs we converted in the fourth quarter. and hey chris cooley is my favorite player, but jeesus you made him look like antonio gates and t. gonzo combined. maybe you should gameplan for someone besides our stud RB, lol and our stud wr. (well, 3 stud wr now)

LOL. Not bad against a line who had one 6th round pick and one bum that was put in because of injury.

How'd you do the first game when we didn't have spares in there??? Oh yeah, I forgot 0 sacks, 0 pressures.

But I'm sure Carter will change all that. :laugh:

The D-line got better against EVERYBODY as it went on through the year. This wasn't just a Dallas phenomenon.

Clint

WeOwnU is a tool. We all know that. His avatar should be a f***** hammer, but that would be offensive to the hammer.

This is why I say this, that tool has been on this site alot trying to flame and troll, calling everyone "homers". Well, if you are a fan of the Skins and you are on this site, you are a homer. Plain and simple. On the converse, if you are a fan of the Brokeback football club and you are on this site, you are a troll and a F***** tool!!!!

You mean in game one of last year when not only did you not get any sacks, you didn't get any knockdowns?

look, you cant talk about that game. the skins beat the cowboys only playing for 3 minutes of the entire game.

Archived