Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is the best back in the NFC East?

trez

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Portis has almost 6000 yards already in 4 seasons.

Barber was better last year but it took him 8 seasons to break 6K and he is going to drop off in the next 2-3 years if not this year.

Barber might be the better back this year, but Portis will likely play for another 10.

Another thing is the Giants don't use him as much on the goal line which helped out his average but hurt his TD total last year. And Portis has to be the better pass blocker but Barber is probably a better receiver, (we'll see with the new offense).

Yeah we been waiting for Tiki to drop off for a while but it just won't happen will it ? I love the way that you are so positive that Portis " has to be " the better blocker than Tiki . I have evidence that Tiki is a better receiver and yet what of Portis' superior blocking ? The question is who is better now and the upcoming season and that would be Tiki"MVP"Barber.

Yeah we been waiting for Tiki to drop off for a while but it just won't happen will it ? I love the way that you are so positive that Portis " has to be " the better blocker than Tiki . I have evidence that Tiki is a better receiver and yet what of Portis' superior blocking ? The question is who is better now and the upcoming season and that would be Tiki"MVP"Barber.

So basically your saying that I'm wrong because you have a different opinion.

Where is your evidence that Tiki is the better receiver anyway? Are you saying that Portis gets as many thrown his way but he drops them?

:rolleyes:

... For my money, there isn't a player in the NFL I would rather have in my locker room than Clinton Portis. Remember, Clinton was a Gibbs' guy right away, and Clinton has shown why he was a good choice; while Joe gave up a lot to get him, what we're getting in return is priceless. Beyond the extraordinary talent is the fact that Clinton is as much a center for team unity as TO is a cancer. In my opinion, Clinton's acquisition is as important to the Skin's SB plans as the hirings of G. Williams and Al Saunders.

So while Tiki may be the best current running back in the NFC East, there is no doubt in my mind that Clinton Portis is the best PLAYER.

peace-

nomad

Great post bro, I agree with everything you say about Portis, Tiki, and the others. Portis is the poster boy for a "Gibbs guy", as unlikely as it may seem on the outside. Portis has become the team leader in a sense, and even his press conferences seemed to create even more chemistry within the locker room. I mean if you can make Chris Cooley call himself "Johnny WhiteGuy" that's some leadership skills for you lol.

Here's to Portis and 1800+ yards!!! :cheers:

GC

So basically your saying that I'm wrong because you have a different opinion.

Where is your evidence that Tiki is the better receiver anyway? Are you saying that Portis gets as many thrown his way but he drops them?

:rolleyes:

Portis can hang onto the football, he just lacks in concentration when he goes on a route. You notice how he always seems to bobble a pass? That's because he tries to run before catching it, and tucking it away.

I'd give Tiki the edge in receiving, however we don't use Portis out of the backfield as much as we should. He was very dangerous running screens and catching the ball out in the flat while in Denver. I think that will change with the addition of Al Saunders:2cents:

Westbrook is absolutely KILLING the Eagles.

And he shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Barber or Portis.

Goodness, Henry, tell us how you really feel!

I could hear my computer screaming at me as I read that rant...

Anyway, as for "which back is better" - it's tough to vote against Barber with the season he just had. It's also true that Barber is in his 30s (32? 33?) and Portis is 24. And it is ALSO true that the last three running backs Al Saunders coached turned into the Best Back In Football.

So, for now, Barber. But that could change this season.

So a good question to ask yourself I am gathering is "who would I pick if I were building a team right now?"

I think it's close to a concensus in that area to choose portis, especially if you want a few new 'canes on your team every year for the next decade.

Barber is clearly the better back right now. And Barber isn't just turning it on at age 31 as someone said. He has had 4-5 solid years in a row with 2 outstanding years in a row. His problem before Coughlin became coach was not production, it was fumbles. The last two years that has not been a problem and his production has gone up. He has had over 2,000 combined yards the last two years so he is obviously a dual threat despite Eagle fans thinking Westbrook is the only dual threat in the NFC East.

If you were taking a RB now and had Portis and Barber to choose from, you would have to pick Portis because he is much younger. But if you are looking at so far, it is clearly Barber. And we'll see about this season. :silly:

I think overall the better back goes to portis not based on the last 2 years but probably comparing each of there first 4 seasons If you go off of the last 2 seasons then definantly barber. But i think portis will prove that he is the premeir back of the league

']

If you were taking a RB now and had Portis and Barber to choose from' date=' you would have to pick Portis because he is much younger. But if you are looking at so far, it is clearly Barber. And we'll see about this season. :silly:[/quote']

I agree with you Tom. If you're looking for someone to be your RB for the next 8 years, it would be Portis. He's shown he can break away for the long TD runs and that he can run very strong between the tackles, all by the age of 24. However, the stats don't lie...Tiki has put together a great career so far.

I would love to be able to say CP, but I think you'd have to give the nod to Barber.

Slightly off topic (disregard if you're not a Skins fan)...one thing I'm beginning to love about the Redskins is that they aren't going to have the best at any one position, but they are putting together arguably the best team.

For example, this past year, they didn't have the best QB, WR, RB, or TE in the division but were clearly the best team in the East at the end of the year. It reminds me of Gibbs in the 1980s and early 1990s.

Great post bro, I agree with everything you say about Portis, Tiki, and the others. Portis is the poster boy for a "Gibbs guy", as unlikely as it may seem on the outside. Portis has become the team leader in a sense, and even his press conferences seemed to create even more chemistry within the locker room. I mean if you can make Chris Cooley call himself "Johnny WhiteGuy" that's some leadership skills for you lol.

Here's to Portis and 1800+ yards!!! :cheers:

GC

Thanks, Canton. I would add that you are absolutely right about Portis being the poster boy for a "Gibbs guy", as strange as that may seem to some. In this day and age, as flashiness becomes more the norm, mistaking flashiness for lack of substance is a common occurence. Clinton is the counterexample. Flashy and dedicated.

As for the question at hand, I still don't see how anyone could answer that anyone other than Tiki is the current best back in the NFC East. I love my Skins as if they were every member of my family at once, but I don't understand throwing Tiki's age, what point he is at in his career, or what his stats were six years ago into the discussion to justify selecting Clinton.

Like many of the other posters, if I were building a franchise right now, C Po would be the man hands down. And similarly, I look forward to the Saunderized-full-potential-C Po becoming not only the NFC East's best for a long time to come, but one of the NFL's greatest ever.

peace -

nomad

kind of biased response so far. I imagine no matther what position you picked, people would say a Skins player was the best. However, the numbers clearly show Tiki is the best back. That may change next year, but there is no basis for stating Portis is the best back now.

Tiki's first 4 years: 511, 166, 258, 1006.

Clinton's first 4: 1508, 1591, 1315, 1516.

Barber has had 9 years in the NFL, and has only had two years of numbers that were better than Portis' worst.

Clint

Tiki's first 4 years: 511, 166, 258, 1006.

Clinton's first 4: 1508, 1591, 1315, 1516.

Barber has had 9 years in the NFL, and has only had two years of numbers that were better than Portis' worst.

Clint

I think that's the whole point though. Portis is on pace to be a better back, but if you compare their latest stats, Tiki outperformed Clinton.

There's something I don't like about Barber that I can't put my finger on, so I'm very happy with CP. However, the numbers don't lie, Tiki had a better season last year, no matter how great Portis played for us!

I think that's the whole point though. Portis is on pace to be a better back, but if you compare their latest stats, Tiki outperformed Clinton.

There's something I don't like about Barber that I can't put my finger on, so I'm very happy with CP. However, the numbers don't lie, Tiki had a better season last year, no matter how great Portis played for us!

Tiki had the better season, there is no question about it. Portis has had a better career so far, which makes him the better back.

Clint

Tiki had the better season, there is no question about it. Portis has had a better career so far, which makes him the better back.

Clint

OK, I think we're arguing semantics here...but I'll try again.

Portis has more good years ahead of him. Portis looks like he'll crush Tiki's career numbers. However, based on what they did last season, if you had to pick a back for this coming season (and ONLY this coming season), there is no proof that Portis would outperform Tiki. He might, because they are both very, very good backs, but the numbers show that Barber has a better chance to put up better numbers.

Archived