Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nate Clements 2007?

bedlamVR

He is franchied this year the bills took YouBoty to replace him in the furure and the team and player look far apart on a long term deal

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060507/1060947.asp

(about half way down the page)

He will be 28 though next year and maybe on his way down . THe thing is Williams is the guy who drafted him and Grey is the guy who made him good.

Just a thought.

Clements is awesome, but I'm not sure we'd be able to meet his market price.

Honestly, I'd prefer he just sign long-term in Buffalo, because if he hits the market, I think the chances are much better of him ending up with a competitor of ours than ending up with us.

Clements is a definite possibility next year as a replacement for Springs. The Bills can re-sign him before free agency starts but they cant place the franchise tag on him next year.

He made the Shaun Alexander deal with them? I hadn't seen that in any of the press clippings...

Yeah i was thinking the same thing i think we should make a move at Clements next year Bills already promised him they won't put the tag on him. So Redskins should be on his list with his former head coach and position coach over here. This dude is the total package but from what i heard he wants to be paid like Champ Bailey and i'm not sure he is up there yet. But hopefully something pans out for next year.

Well we dont have to break the bank with him next year. Just be in the competitive ballpark.

Another advantage is that he might want to play for a Super Bowl contender next year.

Dont forget we still have our #1 draft pick in 2007 to get a CB. However, it would be nice to get an all-pro CB without having to give up anything except Snyder's coin. :D

I don't like the idea of picking up a huge name FA CB. I think we do great in picking them in the draft, and there is always depth in the draft at CB... I think we should stick with Springs and Rogers, and use our first rounder next year on a CB...

He is franchied this year the bills took YouBoty to replace him in the furure and the team and player look far apart on a long term deal

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060507/1060947.asp

(about half way down the page)

He will be 28 though next year and maybe on his way down . THe thing is Williams is the guy who drafted him and Grey is the guy who made him good.

Just a thought.

i think it's definately possible, and i think clements would prefer to play for his old coach, so if the money was comparable, he would chose us over other teams making offers.

That being said, i think we draft a CB with our #1 pick. In 07, rogers should be able to move up to be our #1 corner, and springs will be fine as a #2.

Honestly, I'd prefer he just sign long-term in Buffalo, because if he hits the market, I think the chances are much better of him ending up with a competitor of ours than ending up with us.

If we decide we want him, history shows we won't have to worry about this. Personally, I think it would be a great move. Is 28 really that old for a CB? If I'm not mistaken, Springs is 31 this year. Clements should still have 3-4 years left in his prime after this season.

If we decide we want him, history shows we won't have to worry about this. Personally, I think it would be a great move. Is 28 really that old for a CB? If I'm not mistaken, Springs is 31 this year. Clements should still have 3-4 years left in his prime after this season.

Your point is well taken, but we are not talking about Antwaan Randle El or Casey Rabach here.

Clements is a legit top 5 guy at a premiere position. There won't just be one or two teams after him like there has been for most of our FA pickups. He will likely have 10-12 teams seriously pursuing him, and almost of all of them will have more cap space. I know, I know, cash beats cap, but cash doesn't beat the Packers when they have 20M to burn just to meet the minimum payroll level, for example. I just don't think we can get him, and I don't think he is worth the contract he would get.

That said, I've still seen nothing to suggest that he cut some sort of Alexander-esque deal with the Bills. Why could they not just franchise him again?

Your point is well taken, but we are not talking about Antwaan Randle El or Casey Rabach here.

Clements is a legit top 5 guy at a premiere position. There won't just be one or two teams after him like there has been for most of our FA pickups. He will likely have 10-12 teams seriously pursuing him, and almost of all of them will have more cap space. I know, I know, cash beats cap, but cash doesn't beat the Packers when they have 20M to burn just to meet the minimum payroll level, for example. I just don't think we can get him, and I don't think he is worth the contract he would get.

That said, I've still seen nothing to suggest that he cut some sort of Alexander-esque deal with the Bills. Why could they not just franchise him again?

If I'm not mistaken there is a clause in the new CBA that limits the number of times a player can be hit with the franchise tag. This might well explain why the Bills will be forced to either sign him or let him walk next year.

If I'm not mistaken there is a clause in the new CBA that limits the number of times a player can be hit with the franchise tag. This might well explain why the Bills will be forced to either sign him or let him walk next year.

Okay, not sure of Clements specifics, but the new CBA does prohibit being assigned the franchise tag for more than two years. I'm not certain if Clements has only had it once or twice though.

i think it's definately possible, and i think clements would prefer to play for his old coach, so if the money was comparable, he would chose us over other teams making offers.

That being said, i think we draft a CB with our #1 pick. In 07, rogers should be able to move up to be our #1 corner, and springs will be fine as a #2.

What are you smoking - he wants the COIN could care less who he plays for because he knows it's has last big contract. Why people on this board think players will sign for a discount because they like the coach is laughable. I doubt we sign him because of the cost and unfortunately he will be linked to the skins all off-season, season and off-season again because of our tendency to pay big in FA. None of our free agent signings came here because of the coach - they came here for the COIN, the coaches are a bonus.

Being from upstate NY I've read more than once how much GW likes Clement. I listened for potential movement between GW and Clement over the past year and disappointedly heard nothing. He is an incredible player who is a perfect fit in GW's scheme. :wish:

Archived