Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Campbell > Leinart, Cutler

D'Pablo

Yeah, the backup quarterback is always the most popular guy in town. Claiming that Campbell is better than anyone when he's never taken an NFL snap is, of course, blind homerism at it's best. Campbell was raw coming out of college and certainly did not compare to Leinart and Young, but he has a year of coaching from the best coaches in the league. He should be more polished by now. But... he's still never taken an NFL snap.

Stop the Campbell worship. The guy will get his chance. You should be hoping that chance happens later rather than sooner, because the Skins are poised for a championship run and that's not the time that Joe likes to break in a rookie QB.

Thank you.

This thread is the biggest bunch of b.s. I cant believe that people can argue that Campbell is better than Leinart, young, or Cutler. Are we basing this on anything other than that Campbell is on our team. Who knows who will be the best. Would we all say that Ramsey was better than harrington and Carr because we had Ramsey. This is blind homerism and it takes away from the validity of the board.

As for the argument about supporting casts. Leinart was surrounded by great players in Bush, Mike Williams, Byrd, Steve Smith, jarrett, White, etc. But Campbell had a damn good supporting cast too. We all know about Cadillac and Ronnie Brown, but they had some good WR that are pro prospects. I believe that three of the WRs were picked this year, but I cant get onto ESPN.

All Im saying is dont overrate our players because they are our players. That is ridiculous.

bottom line is we wouldn't have been able to get a QB of JC's caliber at the 22 pick this year, so it was a good move, if we were going into this year without a plan for qb I'd have to smack somebody.

I know he has yet to play a meaningful down, just knowing we have the option is hope enough

Campbell has tremendous potential..but several sources that cover the Skins have said he is no where ready to QB on the NFL level..and this after 1 year of toting a clipboard..so to all you homers..once Campbell gets in the game and starts throwing INT's...please remember you were the ones saying he was gonna take the Skins to the "Big Show"

This is a silly, homerific post but heres my two :2cents: and let the calls of "Oldskool is a USC homer" begin.

How can you be a USC homer when you can't even spell Leinart correctly? Well, at least it's not as bad as when people call him "Line heart".

Jason Campbell is more NFL ready than Cutler and Lienart for sure but...

You people are absolutely out of your minds to compare Campbell to Leinart or Cutler.

Leinart played in a pro-style offense, and any NFL expert will tell you he comes out of college more ready to play than any QB in recent memory. What has Campbell done? Held a clipboard? You guys are crazy.

As far as Cutler goes, I don't know as much about him as I do Lienart, but have you listend to Jaws, or Phil Simms saying he is the best QB to come out in years? He makes great reads, and has the arm, the only knock on him was trying to do too much by himself, which can happen when you play on Vanderbilt

Campbells knock on him coming out was that he made poor decisions and had accuracy problems.

Jesus guys, I know you like Campbell because he's a redskin, but be realistic. They guy would have been a 3rd rounder, maybe 4th rounder if he came out this year AT BEST.

I think Young is being a little overrated in this thread too. I'm not saying anything regarding Campbell, Cutler, or Leinart. Young is a gifted athlete, but I don't see him being a good QB for a few years. I'm not convinced he has it upstairs -and not because of his wonderlic either. From what I've seen/read about him and his offense at Texas, it doesn't sound like it translates to a pro offense very well.

--just my opinion

yea but campbell went undefeated his senior year in the SEC which is the best football conference in the nation

Again, I like Campbell on THIS team more than Lienart.

But remember, Jason Campbell really had some mediocore at best years before he absolutely was owning it up in 04-05 and went undefeated againts SEC Competition. While Matt Lienart did it for 3 Years.

I think Young is being a little overrated in this thread too. I'm not saying anything regarding Campbell, Cutler, or Leinart. Young is a gifted athlete, but I don't see him being a good QB for a few years. I'm not convinced he has it upstairs -and not because of his wonderlic either. From what I've seen/read about him and his offense at Texas, it doesn't sound like it translates to a pro offense very well.

--just my opinion

I would tend to agree with you on Young. He's got some of the tools, but he isn't exactly what I would call "smart". I've heard him speak a few times and he doesn't even seem to understand the questions that were said to him.

Also, out of all of them, his college system was far and away the farthest from a "pro-style" offense.

bottom line is we wouldn't have been able to get a QB of JC's caliber at the 22 pick this year, so it was a good move, if we were going into this year without a plan for qb I'd have to smack somebody.

I know he has yet to play a meaningful down, just knowing we have the option is hope enough

Here's the problem. Had we kept our first round pick this year, maybe, just maybe, we could have packaged it and a first next year to move into the top ten. Then we'd be looking at Leinert and Cutler which is why I think it's relevant to know where Campbell would stack up against this year's QB crop.

To me, you never give up a future first round pick to move into the bottom third of the first round.

Hail,

H

But remember, Jason Campbell really had some mediocore at best years before he absolutely was owning it up in 04-05 and went undefeated againts SEC Competition. While Matt Lienart did it for 3 Years.

Owning it up? That Auburn team of 04 came out of the gate as the #1 team in the nation at the seasons beginning, then lost the first 3 straight. Owning it up????

Campbells knock on him coming out was that he made poor decisions and had accuracy problems.

Uh, not to disrupt your nonsensical post but accuracy particularly on the deep ball was considered one of his strengths.

Uh, not to disrupt your nonsensical post but accuracy particularly on the deep ball was considered one of his strengths.

Not to disrupt your blind homerism, but the man had accuracy problems. Look it up.

But have it your way. He can throw a deep ball, but he can't throw a 10 yard out. Feel better?

Gibbs said they had Campbell rated #1 above last year's and this year's QB classes combined

if you can trust anyone when it comes to QBs, it'd be a man who won 3 SBs with 3 different QBs

And just what do you think Gibbs is gonna say? He's going to defend his guy of course. DUH.

If you can trust Gibbs with quarterbacks, why did he have to change his starter after 2 weeks last year?

If you want to find somone who knows quarterbacks, look no further than Mike Shanahan. He's had a long history of getting the best out of them. Look what he's done with Plummer. Jake freakin Plummer.

And Shanahan thought VERY highly of Cutler. Enough to give up 2 first round picks for him. That should tell you everything you need to know about Cutler

He can throw a deep ball, but he can't throw a 10 yard out. Feel better?

I'm terribly sorry to hold you to some accountability since you see fit to come on our board without even getting your facts straight. I'm comfortable with him...are you?

Not to disrupt your blind homerism, but the man had accuracy problems. Look it up.

But have it your way. He can throw a deep ball, but he can't throw a 10 yard out. Feel better?

I looked it up (completion percentage as taken from auburntigers.com):

2001- 62.7%

2002- 63.1%

2003- 61.8%

2004- 69.6%

That doesn't look like any sort of accuracy problem to me... Then on top of this, Gibbs seems effusive whenever he talks about Jason Campbell's accuracy.

And Shanahan thought VERY highly of Cutler. Enough to give up 2 first round picks for him. That should tell you everything you need to know about Cutler

Ah yes, even more brilliance. So the fact that Gibbs, who has won the big dance with three different QB's, and OBVIOUSLY knows a lot about the position, thought VERY highly of Campbell, enough to give up 2 first round picks for him means nothing? Meanwhile the only superbowl that Shanahan can claim is the one that John freakin Elway won for him. Gotcha.

In the words of the immortal Drew Rosenhaus....

Next question!

I'm terribly sorry to hold you to some accountability since you see fit to come on our board without even getting your facts straight. I'm comfortable with him...are you?

I was trying to make a point that he has accuracy problems. You tried to make a point that he throws a very good deep ball. Well if 1+1 = 2, then something has to give. My point was coming out of college, the knock on him was his decision making abilities and trouble with accuracy. And that sir, is a fact!

They guy might be the second coming of Joe Montana for all any of us know, but it still doesn't change the fact that coming out of college, he had the above knocks on his play.

There are knocks on every player from John Elway, to Ryan Leaf. I was simply stating what JC's were. Its really not that hard to understand.

Owning it up? That Auburn team of 04 came out of the gate as the #1 team in the nation at the seasons beginning, then lost the first 3 straight. Owning it up????

Seriously man... are you even looking this stuff up before you post? Auburn went UNDEFEATED.

2001- 62.7%

2002- 63.1%

2003- 61.8%

2004- 69.6%

My point was coming out of college' date=' the knock on him was his decision making abilities and trouble with accuracy. And that sir, is a fact!

[/quote']

Interesting. I think our versions of what constitues fact are a bit different.

2001- 62.7%

2002- 63.1%

2003- 61.8%

2004- 69.6%

That doesn't look like any sort of accuracy problem to me... Then on top of this' date=' Gibbs seems effusive whenever he talks about Jason Campbell's accuracy.[/quote']

Completion percentage is one of the most overrated stats in the history of football. Show me his average yards per completion stat, compared to Leinart, Cutler, Aaron Rodgers, or Alex Smith.

Same story as Brunell last year. High passing percentage, but the lowest yards per catch ratio's in the entire NFL.

There's a difference between throwing the ball downfield and dumping it off to a running back for a 2 yard pass.

Ah yes, even more brilliance. So the fact that Gibbs, who has won the big dance with three different QB's, and OBVIOUSLY knows a lot about the position, thought VERY highly of Campbell, enough to give up 2 first round picks for him means nothing? Meanwhile the only superbowl that Shanahan can claim is the one that John freakin Elway won for him. Gotcha.

In the words of the immortal Drew Rosenhaus....

Next question!

The way the redskins throw around draft picks, I'm inclined to not take it as serously as Shanahan throwing around his picks.

Completion percentage is one of the most overrated stats in the history of football.

Well it's obvious that it's pointless to continue to debate with you. When your "facts" are proven wrong via legit data, and your response is that that legit data is in fact overrated. I suppose if someone comes up with additional ammunition to disprove your assertation then you can find some other way to spin your argument. Have fun with that.

Archived