Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is the "Dallas Chart" the Bible of the Draft?!?

timdaley73

I just realized that the chart that all teams use to value a draft pick was created and started by the Cowgirls (Jimmy Johnson, specifically)... But, why is it used like the Bible?!?! I understand it gives a "good idea" of what a pick is worth, but it shouldn't be used as an exact science!

C'mon GMs, get off the chart and see if you like our trades for what its worth... Not what the chart says it's worth!! Like our 2007 First rounder + 2007 3rd Rounder = Your top 10 First Rounder of 2006!!!

:cheers:

:dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck

Teams don't always go by the chart, depends on the players. Like when Detriot and Clevland swapped for Williams and Winsolw. Clevland ended up giving a unfair amount (by chart standards) for it.

And I think the chart was created by a Stanford group of mathematicians, the Cowboys might have just been the first one to use it. Though I might be wrong.

I just realized that the chart that all teams use to value a draft pick was created and started by the Cowgirls (Jimmy Johnson, specifically)... But, why is it used like the Bible?!?! I understand it gives a "good idea" of what a pick is worth, but it shouldn't be used as an exact science!

C'mon GMs, get off the chart and see if you like our trades for what its worth... Not what the chart says it's worth!! Like our 2007 First rounder + 2007 3rd Rounder = Your top 10 First Rounder of 2006!!!

:cheers:

:dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck

Would you be complaining if Joe Gibbs had come up with the exact same system? No. Its a great system and I dont care if an ex-cowboys coach came up with it. It works and works well.

If you want to implement a new system, I got not problem with that. But if you think you can trade a 1 and a 3 for a top 10 pick in this years draft, you wouldn't be able to sell popcorn for any team in the league, let alone be a GM.

If you want to implement a new system, I got not problem with that. But if you think you can trade a 1 and a 3 for a top 10 pick in this years draft, you wouldn't be able to sell popcorn for any team in the league, let alone be a GM.

It was a joke... Good, God! Get down from your Brokeback Mountain and breathe!!

:dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck

I dont know if that article was strictly sarcastic, but no I wouldnt rather have 1500 7th rounders (in the same draft) than the #1 pick. You can have 1500 guys on your roster...

But, think of those gems that you can find in the 7th round!! Like Tom Brady!!

I dont know if that article was strictly sarcastic, but no I wouldnt rather have 1500 7th rounders (in the same draft) than the #1 pick. You cant have 1500 guys on your roster...

but then we could have an American idol, redskins style... the judges would be Gibbs, Saunders, Williams.

every week the number of 7th rounders would be cut to half... fans would vote in to keep their favorite players. :laugh:

ps.. the mock draft is hilarious, i laughed at the patriots selction... the owner of walmart. :D

Personally i think its a good system, no matter who invented it. Its not infallible but then show me a system that is. No system in the world will ever cover the intangibles of an athlete i dont think, if it does then we are all living in the Matrix basically. In the meantime i think that going by the numbers AND some good scouting is enough to guide us through the quagmire that is draft day.

It at least provides something that is measureable. It's nowhere near perfect however. Think about the facts that the talent pool in each year varies, the talent at each position varies, every team that makes a trade has different needs so the value placed on each pick various because of where certain players at each position are projected to go, these are all projections, and the evaluation of talent is subjective. So in the end, everyone really knows nothing.

Unfortunately Jimmy Johnson came up with a good system. Sometimes you have to give the devil it's due. that's one of Jimmy Johnson's legacys.

But...we do things our own way and we are totally redefining how to use free agency and the cap. And that will be OUR legacy.

It was bound to happen sometime - meaning the creation of a mathmatical model of draft values. I mean look at how closely scrutinized the numbers are at the combine - that is a relatively new phenomenon. His chart may not be perfect, but the idea is good.

However, we all know this is not an exact science, and the position of the teams trading, their needs, relative strength of the draft class all play a part. If you happen to be the team at the top of round 1, but you can't afford to pay a 1st rounder, and/or don't need the top talent that is available, you may feel like you have to trade down. In that scenario, you may be in a lose-lose situation. If everyone knows your desperate to trade down, you probably won't get what you could've in a situation where another team is craving a top prospect, but doesn't have the pick....

Archived