Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We should draft Devin Joseph (it would help Brunell)

GIBBS LIVES

I'm not the biggest Brunell supporter. But...I'm resigned to the idea that he is going to be the starter again this coming season. But Brunell hasn't been healthy at the end of the season since we got him. He was playing hurt in the playoffs last year.

So..the best way to help Brunell and possibly keep him fresh and effective at the end of the year is to make the running game a bigger factor in our offense this coming season. I feel that now after two years we should have a perfect feel for what Portis can and can't do and our O-line and he should be in harmony.

But..we've been hit with injuries on the line the last two years. Randy Thomas was knocked out last year and Jansen the year before. And the running game went belly up with Thomas gone because we didn't have sufficient back-ups in Brown and Raymer.

If we want Portis and the running game in general to keep functioning at a high level, then we need proper back-ups. The two guys we signed this off-season are NOT proper back-up. There just a couple of stiffs.

If we want the running game to work, and to keep pressure off of Brunell then we should draft Devin Joseph with our 53rd pick. Check this guy out. You can google him and see his numbers. He's better then Deuce Lutui because he's a better pulling guard and that is the bread and butter play in our running game with Portis. Joseph would be perfect for us and would go along way in shoring up our razor thin Offensive line. Also, Randy Thomas isn't 100% healthy and he's turning 30 years old soon also. It's time to get some real options on the Offensive line in case of emergencies. And Joseph is an excellent pick for us at # 53. Check him out and tell me what you think.

:gaintsuck :dallasuck

Plus, our biggest rival is the Giants with those bookend DE's too?? All the more reason I think to draft for the O-line. If we can even take away a little of the advantage the Giants have with those DE's we can take even more advantage of the Giants weak secondary.

Also it will be easier already for portis, because there won't be 9 guys in the box all the time with all of our new recievers, not to mention that, Brunell will have more options and not have to look around as much, there is bound to be someone open. Also with Al Saunders offense, we may be fine already. While I agree we need more depth in the O line I believe the 53rd is going to be LB or CB.

I agree with you that we need o-line depth...but we do have some good backups. While i dont ahve any faith in Walter...I think Pucillo can get teh job done. That next to the fact that we have Molinaro on the roster still...and he can play both Guard and tackle well...i think #53 goes to a LB. WE can add depth in the 5th and 6th rounds.

I will never have a problem with adding talent across the O-line. Growing up a skins fan, through the Gibbs era, the one constant was always the strength at OL, the Hogs.

We saw success with different QB's and RB's and the OL was really the foundation for all our offensive success. I'm sure many of you have heard Gibbs philosophy on how there are 15 to 20 QB's in the league that can succeed with good protection. But only a few can do it without.

I was upset when we took Gardner over Huchinson. I go into the draft every year with an eye on the elite prospects at the OL. With us being set in terms of our starters at OL. 2nd and 3rd round selection would make for quality and talented depth. And would likely ensure that OL would remain a team strength. I will have no problem if we do spend #53 on OL.

We can find LB help with the players that will be cut June 1st. But finding decent O-lineman in free agency has proven the last two years to be near impossible. Other then Hutchinson (and you see what he went for) good O-lineman are being held on to by their teams.

To get the caliber of O-linman that we have starting this team requires us to spend a high draft pick on one. Trying to make these late round guys of starting caliber isn't panning out now. All the guys we have starting on the O-line now were high draft picks.

You can't actually think that Molinero is going to be of starting caliber. We need to have a guy on the bench with some real starting potential so the line can continue to function at a high level.

And Randy Thomas is also do a monster money next season too. We can't keep restructuring either. We need some real options.

With our receivers being so much better this year, the running game will open up. Santana's not going to be the only threat. Now we got him, Cooley of course, plus Lloyd and a little bit of ARE.

Disagree. Everything begins and ends with the lines. If the lines are weak, then it doesn't matter if you've got Moss on one side and T.O. on the other. The line allows everything else to work.

We can find LB help with the players that will be cut June 1st. But finding decent O-lineman in free agency has proven the last two years to be near impossible. Other then Hutchinson (and you see what he went for) good O-lineman are being held on to by their teams.

To get the caliber of O-linman that we have starting this team requires us to spend a high draft pick on one. Trying to make these late round guys of starting caliber isn't panning out now. All the guys we have starting on the O-line now were high draft picks.

You can't actually think that Molinero is going to be of starting caliber. We need to have a guy on the bench with some real starting potential so the line can continue to function at a high level.

And Randy Thomas is also do a monster money next season too. We can't keep restructuring either. We need some real options.

didnt we sign a free agent center last year? what was his name.....oh yeah Casey Rabach. :doh: at this point i think you are the only Skins fan left on the planet that is worried about money. believe me Danny has it covered.

Plus, our biggest rival is the Giants with those bookend DE's too?? All the more reason I think to draft for the O-line. If we can even take away a little of the advantage the Giants have with those DE's we can take even more advantage of the Giants weak secondary.

The Giants are not our biggest rivals, thier defense has improved somewhat but they wont be able to stop our arsenal, we will be a multi-faceted offensive machine in the season to come and I dont think that running will be of highest priority, our o-line is pretty good but we definitely need to draft quality o-linemen, but not with this pick here.

I am all for OL depth, I like CB at #53 however. CB's on a 2nd round rookie contact are a very effiecient use of cap $$$'s.

I would like us to go OL OL OL in the 6th where the price is right and there wilkl still be decent options available. The OL depth this year is as deep as it has been in 15 years and there will be solid option late into the draft onlong the OL.

Brunnel lovers = draft Joesph. lol

I am all for OL depth, I like CB at #53 however. CB's on a 2nd round rookie contact are a very effiecient use of cap $$$'s.

I would like us to go OL OL OL in the 6th where the price is right and there wilkl still be decent options available. The OL depth this year is as deep as it has been in 15 years and there will be solid option late into the draft onlong the OL.

Brunnel lovers = draft Joesph. lol

They say that every year about a draft and when you look back, the same amount of guys panned out, and the same amount of guys busted out. The perception is this draft is deep in O-lineman but I really don't think so. The best O-lineman options are still in the first couple of rounds. Yes, good lineman have come from latter rounds but it's getting harder and harder to develope a 6th round pick into a guy that can start and play at a high level.

I agree with you that we need o-line depth...but we do have some good backups. While i dont ahve any faith in Walter...I think Pucillo can get teh job done. That next to the fact that we have Molinaro on the roster still...and he can play both Guard and tackle well...i think #53 goes to a LB. WE can add depth in the 5th and 6th rounds.

When they had to replace Thomas they used a 43 year old man, not Molinaro in his second year. What does that say about Molinaro as a backup? I agree with poster, we use #53 in one way or another to bolster our offensive line. We are too thin.

So..the best way to help Brunell and possibly keep him fresh and effective at the end of the year is to make the running game a bigger factor in our offense this coming season. I feel that now after two years we should have a perfect feel for what Portis can and can't do and our O-line and he should be in harmony.

Well, we were primarily a running team when Brunell got hurt, and his injury had nothing to do with wear and tear, and everything to do with a DL landing on his knee.

But..we've been hit with injuries on the line the last two years. Randy Thomas was knocked out last year and Jansen the year before. And the running game went belly up with Thomas gone because we didn't have sufficient back-ups in Brown and Raymer.

Well, Brown was sufficient, but that's about it.

If we want Portis and the running game in general to keep functioning at a high level, then we need proper back-ups. The two guys we signed this off-season are NOT proper back-up. There just a couple of stiffs.

So, you are questioning the intelligence of the staff? You think they would sign a couple of guys who they wouldn't think make the grade? I mean, none of us knows if they are good or not, so we do have to trust the staff.

If we want the running game to work, and to keep pressure off of Brunell then we should draft Devin Joseph with our 53rd pick.

To be honest, a rookie is likely to struggle when you throw them into the line, unless you are getting the best of the best. It is possible we could go OL in the second round, but I don't think it is likely, particularly since we have a couple of guys that we have been developing, plus a couple of veterans we picked up. The only reason why I could see them doing it is if Randy Thomas isn't progressing very well.

Jason

I believe your thread has a typo in it...

I think you're talking about G Davin Joseph Oklahoma?

This guys a stud! We can never go wrong with a strong O lineman like this guy!!!

His only down side... He's short like 6'2", and footwork isn't his strength...

But, He does play with a "nasty side" just like Randy Thomas...

And he's a hard worker with strength!!!

I know we need a LB... But, I would be "jacked" about drafting this guy!!!

Archived