Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homerism 101

Qcard

Allow me to take you down memory lane. Here have a well known Redskin fan spewing his opinions to the Eagles faithful prior to kick-off. Notice the opinions and inreffutable facts in bold.

Italics represent quotes from Eagles faithful.

http://www.700level.com/fansview/Default.asp?topic_id=2835&forum_id=17

I've been told I've ignored you Airborne Eagle.

9/14/02 5:26 AM

AE, I have seen that folks here have fawned over your solid effort at breaking the teams down. I will cut and paste a reply to you within, as, apparently, I have failed to thusfar do in my two posts on this board.

"QB: McNabb is a gifted playmaker, decent accuracy, but (most importantly) plays big in big games. The same cannot be said for Shame matthews."

QB -- I love McNabb, though he remains a better player than a QB. He is, as a QB, a spotty passer of questionable accuracy with a timid nature in terms of threatening the defense with his arm. He is, statistically, very ordinary. Again, I love McNabb. I think no single player makes such a difference to a team than he does to you, but it's more based on the intangibles of leadership and timely playmaking that he excels than pure ability as a QB.

Notice the fluff spewed around the opinion in bold. Here are the facts:

McNabb vs Skins 26 of 38 292yards 2TDs 0INT 108.6QB Rating

Mcnabb is a damn good QB. Passing or running total package just ask Champ Bailey and Fred Smoot.

No one would reasonably suggest Matthews is close to his level. Of course, prior to a few years ago, no one would have thought Warner, Garcia or Gannon were either, so times do change. Matthews will undoubtedly outperform McNabb. He has the advantage of playing in a system that will produce bigger numbers than McNabb has been able to produce in his career. This won't ever make McNabb the lesser player to Matthews. It will make him the lesser QB if one simply views a completions, yards, rating view of the position.

Mathews vs Eagles 10 of 22 62yards 0TD 1INT 33.2QB Rating

We all see where your coming from - Homerville

"RBs: The Eagles' corps, though unspectabular, are solid RBs with excellent hands making them well suited for this offense. In addition, there is not drastic drop in output from starter to #3.

Stephen Davis is not suited for Spurrier's offense and depth at RB on the 'Skins is suspect."

Well, let's first get what you may have correct out of the way. The Redskins running back depth isn't great. Fullback depth and ability is better, but, that's not greatly helpful in an offense that doesn't focus on the FB.

Now, where you've gone wrong is making a declarative statement that, "Davis is not suited for Spurrier's offense," and finding me, or anyone, all that moved. I have 33 reasons to think Davis does fit in Spurrier's scheme. That's how many touches he had last week. Observed performance tends to outweight uninformed declaratives. I'm sure you'll back off such foolishness when you recognize the facts of the situation.

The Eagles backs fit nicely within your system, I agree. None are game-changing players and the advantage at the spot goes to Washington, clearly, though only as long as Davis is on the field at which point you have Levens and we don't.

Of course I will qualify my facts. The facts will show that against a formidable defense Stephen Davis had 12 carries 53 yards 4.4 avg. 11 long.

The Eagles averaged 6.0yards per rush. 189 net rushing yards on 28 carries.

"WRs: The Eagles' have two solid starter quality WRs with proven records in Thrash and Freeman. Behind them, there is experience in the offense and speed.

The 'Skins have Rod Gardner as a playmaker and only one other player that is worth a nod (I'll leave that for the die-hard 'Skins fan to find out). All are new in the offense, as is their QB."

Now, AE, you're just sounding very stupid. Doering, Green, Matthews and Wuerffel are all new in Spurrier's offense? Remarkable. One would never think they ever played for him at exceptionally high levels in this very same offense if one only read your tremendously off base and ill-considered conversation.

The receiver position is an interesting one to judge for certain. 1.Since it is likely, bordering on certain, that we'll have a superior passing offense than the Eagles -- based largely on doing more of it further down the field -- we are likely to have superior performances out of the spot than you will.2. On the whole, we have bigger and more speedy/nifty receivers than you have. Thrash is a grunt, and I love his ethic, but, he's not the "talent" that Thompson or McCants are.

He is, though, unquestionably the better player, today. Freeman was a splendid pickup for you. Prior to his addition I know, as you do, that you lacked our depth or potential at the spot. Freeman certainly evens that up and probably gives you the edge looking at it today. Looking at it in January we'll all wonder at how we missed this call so badly though.

1. Eagles - Pass Yards 464, PassYPG 232

Skins - Pass Yards 410, PassYPG 205

2. James Thrash - 8 Rec 139 Yards 17.4Avg 39Long 2TD

Thompson & Mccants - 5 Rec 54 Yards 10.8Avg. 17Long 1TD

Of course as talented as McCants is, he was only activated for the Eagles game. Just another shell shocked Redskin warming the bench

"OL: The Eagles have Pro-Bowl caliber tackles and solid starters at guard and center. The loss of Welbourn is significant, but B has experience as a starter and should step in.

The 'Skins OL also has a good set of tackles and very weak guards/center."

Actually, the Redskins have the two best lineman on the field, in Samuels and Jansen. Thomas and Runyan are a level below, though, I'm sure you won't appreciate hearing such a thing. I'm confused how our interior line is considered weak when yours is not, given we have Stai on one side, who's done more consistently as a durable starter in this league than anyone you have in the middle, and Moore who started for three years in Indy's high powered offense. I'll grant a serious question mark in Loverne. But, give certain advantages on the edges, a sure one inside with Stai and no worse than a push with Moore, the Redskins aren't overly frightened by any comparison to your line.

In fact, we are generally flattered by one, because, in comparison, we look much better than we may actually be overall.

Skins - 4 sacks 29 yards lost & 89 rushing yards

Eagles - 2 sacks 9 yards lost & 168 rushing yards

"DL: The Eagles have two Pro-Bowl caliber DL in Douglas and Simon. The others are unremarkable, though I think many here like the play of Whiting (especially when he plays the 'Boys).

The Skins have a good OL, but I think Gardner is plaing hurt (or he'll sit), which was the rag on him. Bruce Smith is always a force."

Wynn is a steady, young, quality run defender on the edge and above average interior rush man on passing situations. Wilkinson is a four-time Pro Bowl alternate coming off the finest 11 game stretch one can see out of a defensive tackle. With Thomas and Burgess I'd probably give you the edge at defensive line, considering the legitimate question of Gardener.

But, without those two, you simply lack the four quality guys and flexibility we have on the defense line as a starting group. You may have more proven depth though and given Gardener's injuries that can't be ignored. On a straight starting comparison we are a notch above your current unit. In a totally healthy comparison, it's not going to be easy for either party to convince the other, I'm sure.

Well, the game was Nationally Televised. The entire Nation knows for a fact that the Redskins DL is no where near the caliber of the Eagles statitically or talent wise

- The Skins generated Zero pressureon Mcnabb and gave up 168 rushing yards at 6.o avg. Pathetic!!! :doh:

- The Eagles well this piscture says it all

I27262-2002Sep17

"LBs: 'Los is hobbled, but it looks like he'll start. MLBs are geared for run defense, which would be a great liability except the team has an excellent seconday. Shawn Barber, well, you are aware of what he brings to the table.

The 'Skins have a great set of LBs. Arrington, when he isn't scared away from playing the Eagles by "injury" is looking to break through. Trotter is good, but tends to over-pursue and leaves gaps for the running game. Armstead? Not sure what he has left in the tank, but he has an impressive resume."

As it doesn't appear you question the vast advantage the Redskins have here, I won't go too deeply into a response. Trotter, though, overpursues as a tendency when he's playing in a system that dictates he play downhill, pick a gap and slam it shut. He was your best defensive player the last two years according to your own team. He's our second best backer. Armstead appeared to have plenty in the tank in the opener. While I wanted to keep Barber, when I heard we got Armstead, I knew he had to go because that is a major upgrade. Barber is a good player though.

Finally something for Homer to stand on, but of course as all saw last night Lavar had a dumb and costly penalty (offsides on 4th down). Trotter and Jessie were known factors in a very important game at hoe in front of a Nationally televised game. Why were these guys given big bucks again? Aren't primetime players supposed to show up on Prime Time.

s: Both team field impressive secondaries. The edge to overall CB play should go to the 'Skins in a sweaker and only because of the respect Eagle fans have for Darrell Green. The edge in safeties is clearly with the Eagles. Playmakers starting and very, very good depth"

Well, your safety edge is that Dawkins clearly outflanks Terrell in all ways. Bishop and Shade are quite similar in ability, especially considering Bishop is returning from an injury and had shaky moments against the Titans.

In general, Shade has the edge, as he tends to make more plays in the passing game (interceptions and deflections) and he's been more active in the running game (tackles) over the last five full years both men have played. This is especially impressive considering Bishop played on the Titans, which runs a defense that requires much out of safety play. In general though, your thoughts here are nearly right on.

Finally they are in agreement :jump:

STs: No accident the Eagles are good. They practice more ST than most, if not all, other teams. Great kicker (and castoff from the 'Skins) and punter, great return game (again, castoff from the 'Skins, an unpopular decision), and very good coverage teams for the Eagles.

'Skins have a new kicker and, this early in the season, that can spell disaster, especially against a good return team and a good D."

The Skins coverage was the best in football a year ago. The Special Teams edge clearly falls to the Eagles in total. This is no small portion of the game and the kicking if our history of playing close games comes into play clearly favors you in all ways. We almost lost the Cardinals game because of short kickoffs. That should be cured this week. I'm certain we'll lose at least a game this year becasue of our kicking issues.

"Overall, the edge in talent on O goes to the Birds. The overall edge in talent on D looks more like a push to me, but LBs are the playmakers of this league (look at stat leaders last year) and the 'Skins have better LBs. STs clearly favor the Birds."

The edge on offense, due to a superior offensive line, best single receiver and running back, probably goes to the Skins on straight talent. Importantly though, it's likely our system will be condusive to bigger performances from our guys than yours will prove to be for you. This is an important factor to weigh.

:lol: :lol:

"Great D Coordinators on both sides. Inexperience running the O against a blitz disguising D will hurt the 'Skins more than Andy's baffling playcalling and abuse of the timeouts.

Birds win."

Reid practices every day against Johnson. You think that helps him? Spurrier practices every day against Lewis. You think that helps him prepare? Spurrier has more experience than Reid does running an offense.

I happen to prefer Johnson to Lewis as I like his scheme better, but it's hard to knock Lewis, as I do, because of his history of success.

This game will be interesting. I can see one of two things happening. Either we play as we have for years, in a close game that could go either way, or the Skins surprise the Eagles and have a pretty easy go of it.

While the Eagles could capture many interceptions and snowball a huge win over the Skins, I think that's the least likely scenario.

Simply put, the Redskins know they can move on the Eagles with a horrible offense. We've done that the last couple of years. If you guys match up too well with us, we can always revert to what we've been able to do against you.

But, Spurrier is an unknown factor. His playcalling may challenge you more than you expect and the emotion of the game, in Washington, may favor us more than past home games becasue Spurrier has gone out of his way to involve the fans through his comments. Norv and Marty never really included us. Spurrier has. While defending the home field better than we have will take time, I think this is a game that could turn out badly for the Eagles.

That won't mean you are necessarily worse than our conversation here would suggest. It just means you got caught a little by surprise and you'll have to adjust. Reid doesn't adjust well as a coach, as the Titans game indicates. We'll see how this game plays out.

In perfect summation, the entire HOMER view comes spewing forth. I enjoy talking smack and I will eat crow when proven wrong. We all know whom this avid Redskin fan is. Is he man enough to eat crow?

I don't see how your Senior Honors Thesis on Why Art is Wrong in any way vindicates you and your opinion that Quicy Carter's the Real Deal. Only seeing how the season bears out can prove you wrong or right ... or Art for that matter.

And besides, the rest of us don't need a detailed description of your hang-ups. Really.

Originally posted by Henry

I don't see how your Senior Honors Thesis on Why Art is Wrong in any way vindicates you and your opinion that Quicy Carter's the Real Deal. Only seeing how the season bears out can prove you wrong or right ... or Art for that matter.

And besides, the rest of us don't need a detailed description of your hang-ups. Really.

Not only are you :ot:, but you are also very misinformed about my opinion of Quincy Carter.

One more time for those who missed it (Henry).

Quincy Carter will fail or succeed on his own Merit. I have NEVER stated that Quincy Carter is the Real Deal or franchise QB for the Cowboys.

I have unequivocally stated that based on his past work ethic, past performance and progression, Quincy Carter has just as good a chance of becoming the future QB. Redskin fans do not think he does, therefore we disagree.

Qcard,

I am going to do what you just did by starting this post. I am going to defend another teams fans base and team for absolutely no reason.

The Skins played a bad game. The defense looked confused and the talent on the Skins defense is not being used to its strength. I doubt you are going to see McNabb with numbers like that every week. Of course, if you want to defend McNabb and try to show how good he is, I guess we will see this weekend as I am sure you think he is going to rip Dallas' defense apart. To be honest, I didn't read your whole post because it was wayyyyyy too long but the Redskins are 1-1, like the Cowboys and like the Eagles. I don't think coming here already and trying to rub the Redskins fans' noses in anything is a wise move. Too much is being put on one loss for the Skins and one win for the Eagles.

This thread is actually a lose, lose post for you this week. Either the Cowboys are going to win and stop McNabb shooting this down or the Eagles are going to beat up on the Cowboys giving Redskins fans ammunition to retaliate against you this week. I mean, if you want to look at one game and come here and do this, I am sure Redskin fans will be happy to do the same after the Eagles play the Cowboys this week.

Originally posted by Tom [Giants fan]

Qcard,

I am going to do what you just did by starting this post. I am going to defend another teams fans base and team for absolutely no reason.

The Skins played a bad game. The defense looked confused and the talent on the Skins defense is not being used to its strength. I doubt you are going to see McNabb with numbers like that every week. Of course, if you want to defend McNabb and try to show how good he is, I guess we will see this weekend as I am sure you think he is going to rip Dallas' defense apart. To be honest, I didn't read your whole post because it was wayyyyyy too long but the Redskins are 1-1, like the Cowboys and like the Eagles. I don't think coming here already and trying to rub the Redskins fans' noses in anything is a wise move. Too much is being put on one loss for the Skins and one win for the Eagles.

This thread is actually a lose, lose post for you this week. Either the Cowboys are going to win and stop McNabb shooting this down or the Eagles are going to beat up on the Cowboys giving Redskins fans ammunition to retaliate against you this week. I mean, if you want to look at one game and come here and do this, I am sure Redskin fans will be happy to do the same after the Eagles play the Cowboys this week.

Preach on brotha!! :cheers: We need to buy you a 'Skins jersey, man. Or at least a brew!

Originally posted by Qcard

Not only are you :ot:, but you are also very misinformed about my opinion of Quincy Carter.

One more time for those who missed it (Henry).

Quincy Carter will fail or succeed on his own Merit. I have NEVER stated that Quincy Carter is the Real Deal or franchise QB for the Cowboys.

I have unequivocally stated that based on his past work ethic, past performance and progression, Quincy Carter has just as good a chance of becoming the future QB. Redskin fans do not think he does, therefore we disagree.

Ya got me, Q. I don't really pay much attention to your rants. Shame on me. :)

Maybe if you post another 500 times on our board I might find something worth reading. Maybe.

Originally posted by Tom [Giants fan]

Qcard,

Apparently you missed the entire point of the post.

The post was to show to the homeristic (is this a word :D ) view portrayed by the Skin fan prior to the game. I posted facts that refuted most of his views. Plain and simple.

I have not mentioned that the Skins suck. I have stated they had a pathetic performance. There is a big difference. I know for a fact that the Redskins are a very talent team. But it is also a fact that since 1998 the Redskins have been the most underachieving team arguably in the NFC East based on the well above average talent.

I am not talking trash. I have just shown exactly what a homerish view is.

Trust me, if I start talking trash and rubbing noses in sh!t it would be alot worse. There is so much to use from: Fred Smoot ( Overrated Blip is circling) being used by Redskins protegee Thrash to SS looking like a blowfish on the side lines (with that 1 pic SS has surpassed Campo's "HardKnocks" stupid looks for the entire season). I could go on and on, but it is just Week 2.

I was here last week and took my lumps. Stop trying to be a peace maker where it is not warranted.

p.s. Shockey is the sh!t. I am jealous.

Originally posted by Yomar

you are just an idiot, not only that, but you can't even come up with your own ideas, having practically stolen this post from 700level.com

Go get some balls, then maybe we can talk punk.

Hey it's just Week 2. I was miserable last week.

This should cheer you up dude

r_kournikova_i.jpg:jerkoff:

The beautiful thing, Q, is that every word of what I wrote remains precisely true. The Eagles completely handled us and that is the breaks of our fine world. But, let's compare our behavior, if you will, after losses by our teams. Your team lost and I gave Cowboy fans solid room to vent, without tossing up to them all the myriad stupidity they've offered here over the months.

The Redskins lose and you target me, with words that perfectly remain untouched despite last night's game because it was an analysis that remains true. To be honest, Q, I'm somewhat surprised by your ignorance here. Given how politely I treated you in your week after the loss, I would have expected a similar reaction when the Redskins were in the same boat. The difference is, I clearly get to you and you don't to me. I'll show you what I mean soon :).

I also suppose a P.S. is in order.

No one disputes the remarkable game the Eagles played to thoroughly whip the Redskins. A pre-game view of various positions can often prove unable to capture the spirit of the game to come. Often it can be right on, as my thoughts were regarding the Dallas game against Houston.

If the best argument you have here is a reasoned and thoughtful post placed on an opposing teams site, then I fear you are very confused and outclassed indeed, though, that's not surprising given the large number of times you've called me out only to be sent off with your rump red after another pounding.

I have congratulated the Eagles fans for a lovely game played by their team. That's the type of football every Redskin fan everywhere would love to be able to associate with their team.

Originally posted by Art

The beautiful thing, Q, is that every word of what I wrote remains precisely true. The Eagles completely handled us and that is the breaks of our fine world. But, let's compare our behavior, if you will, after losses by our teams. Your team lost and I gave Cowboy fans solid room to vent, without tossing up to them all the myriad stupidity they've offered here over the months.

The Redskins lose and you target me, with words that perfectly remain untouched despite last night's game because it was an analysis that remains true. To be honest, Q, I'm somewhat surprised by your ignorance here. Given how politely I treated you in your week after the loss, I would have expected a similar reaction when the Redskins were in the same boat. The difference is, I clearly get to you and you don't to me. I'll show you what I mean soon :).

Whatever rocks your boat Art.

I am looking forward to your Skins vs 49ers "in-depth comparison".

I will surely file it away. On Monday we can have do-over. I have no bones about eating crow and losing bets. I have no bones about learning something new from you or any other objective football fan. What bothers me is your homerish view that is unwavering even after a thorough a$$ whooping from a team that you stated was inferior. From a football perspective losing to inferior opponents in very important games has become a norm with the Burgundy and Gold. I know its only Week 2, but losing at home to a divisional foe is devastating.

The analysis was based on opinions. Others may share the same opinion others might not. The opinions are justfied and made factual by play on the field.

Q, truth remains unwaivering in the face of even your high-powered stupidity. Collectively, we are still more talented than the Eagles. A lot of teams are. But, few teams play as well within the scheme as they do and that continuity is a huge factor for them. They are ideal players for the system they play. They are comfortable in it and in many cases the whole is greater than the sum of its parts and in others the whole is lesser than the sum.

In our case we are still lesser, largely due to a defense that isn't as good today as it will be in five weeks or 10 weeks. In their case, greater. The Eagles smartly identified the growing trend in the NFL of keeping your own young players rather than going into free agency because comfort within a role can make a less capable player perform at a far higher level.

I happen to love Jim Johnson, in particular. His coaching style is exactly what fits our players. The Giants remain inferior to St. Louis in collective talent. They beat them and they should be credited with playing better that day. So too should the Eagles. That's why they've received the credit they've deserved for their performances and St. Louis and Washington -- though not necessarily on the same level -- received the critical inspections from their fans they deserved.

Again though, the difference between us is pretty simple. During the offseason or even during the week leading up to games, I enjoy verbal sparring with fans who are rabid for their teams. I know dealing with a bad or tough loss can be hard on some folks and when Dallas and Philly lost, I didn't seek out ever Cowboy fan with a laser beam of all their previous comments. I left the Westbrook release alone. I knew you guys were in your own place and would come out of it eventually.

We lose and you come at me for very fair, honest, reasoned, factual statements you simply don't like. My words aren't less true becasue Philly beat us. They wouldn't be more true should we have beaten them. What is, is. That's just the way it is.

Originally posted by Art

Q, truth remains unwaivering in the face of even your high-powered stupidity. Collectively, we are still more talented than the Eagles. A lot of teams are. But, few teams play as well within the scheme as they do and that continuity is a huge factor for them. They are ideal players for the system they play. They are comfortable in it and in many cases the whole is greater than the sum of its parts and in others the whole is lesser than the sum.

In our case we are still lesser, largely due to a defense that isn't as good today as it will be in five weeks or 10 weeks. In their case, greater. The Eagles smartly identified the growing trend in the NFL of keeping your own young players rather than going into free agency because comfort within a role can make a less capable player perform at a far higher level.

I happen to love Jim Johnson, in particular. His coaching style is exactly what fits our players. The Giants remain inferior to St. Louis in collective talent. They beat them and they should be credited with playing better that day. So too should the Eagles. That's why they've received the credit they've deserved for their performances and St. Louis and Washington -- though not necessarily on the same level -- received the critical inspections from their fans they deserved.

Again though, the difference between us is pretty simple. During the offseason or even during the week leading up to games, I enjoy verbal sparring with fans who are rabid for their teams. I know dealing with a bad or tough loss can be hard on some folks and when Dallas and Philly lost, I didn't seek out ever Cowboy fan with a laser beam of all their previous comments. I left the Westbrook release alone. I knew you guys were in your own place and would come out of it eventually.

We lose and you come at me for very fair, honest, reasoned, factual statements you simply don't like. My words aren't less true becasue Philly beat us. They wouldn't be more true should we have beaten them. What is, is. That's just the way it is.

Yada Yada Yada.

We gambled on Bryant Westbrook we lost out. To bad, we move on. I don't recall endorsing Westbrook, but I am Cowboy fan therefore the crow is shared equally amongst us. You see it is really easy. Keep your eye on Hardy, you might learn something!!!

Just post "In depth Skins vs 49ers comparison" save me the high horse crap!!!

Later dude gotta get home I got some cold Sam Adams left over from last night. I had to stop drinking I thought I was hallucinating after Dorsey Levens out ran Smoot to the In-zone.

Is their any doubt in your mind that Darrell Green in his prime would have caught old man repaired knee Levens. The overatted blimp is circling target Smoot.

What exactly IS the point of this thread anyway? Q, are you suprised to find Skins fans on a Skins board? It's like a grown man pointing at a ball and shouting "BALL, BALL, BALL," excitedly when everyone can see it perfectly well! It is not foolish of us to believe in our team and occasionally wear rose-colored glasses. It is foolishness for you to be so upset about it. Take a 'lude dide.:high:

Archived