Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dirk's fearless NFL Draft Forecast...

Dirk Diggler

In light of the trade and one anticipated trade, I shuffled some picks around in my mock.

***Edited 4/28

1 Houston: Mario Williams DE 6-7, 295 North Carolina State

*2 New York Jets: Reggie Bush RB 5-11, 200 Southern California

3 Tennessee: Vince Young QB 6-5, 235 Texas

*4 New Orleans: D'Brickashaw Ferguson OT 6-5, 297 Virginia

5 Green Bay: A.J. Hawk LB 6-1, 243 Ohio State

6 San Francisco: Vernon Davis TE 6-2, 255 Maryland

7 Oakland: Brodrick Bunkley DT 6-2, 300 Florida State

8 Buffalo: Jay Cutler QB 6-3, 223 Vanderbilt

9 Detroit: Ernie Sims LB 6-1, 235, Florida State

10 Arizona: Matt Leinart QB 6-4, 225 Southern California

11 St. Louis: Michael Huff DB 6-1, 205 Texas

12 Cleveland: Kamerion Wimbley OLB 6-3, 245 Florida State

13 Baltimore: Haloti Ngata DT 6-5, 340 Oregon

14 Philadelphia: Winston Justice OT 6-5, 300 Southern California

15 Denver (from Atlanta): Chad Jackson WR 6-2, 205 Florida

16 Miami: Donte Whitner S 5-11, 200 Ohio State

17 Minnesota: DeAngelo Williams RB 5-8, 208 Memphis

18 Dallas: Chad Greenway LB 6-2, 242 Iowa

19 San Diego: Santonio Holmes WR 5-11, 195 Ohio State

20 Kansas City: Jimmy Williams CB 6-3, 210 Ohio State

21 New England: Manny Lawson DE 6-5, 240 North Carolina State

22 San Francisco (from Denver Thru Washington): Antonio Chromartie CB 6-2, 210 Florida State

23 Tampa Bay: John McCargo DT 6-2, 310 North Carolina State

24 Cincinnati: Johnathan Joseph CB 5-11, 190 South Carolina

25 New York Giants: Tye Hill CB 5-10, 185 Clemson

26 Chicago: Sinorice Moss WR 5-8, 183 Miami

27 Carolina: LenDale White RB 6-1, 235 Southern California

28 Jacksonville: Thomas Howard LB 6-3, 240 UTEP

*29 New Orleans (from NYJ): Bobby Carpenter LB 6-2, 255 Ohio State

30 Indianapolis: Joseph Addai RB 5-11, 210 LSU

31 Seattle: Tamba Hali DE 6-3, 275 Penn State

32 Pittsburgh: Nick Mangold C 6-3, 297 Ohio State

*#53 Skins select OT Daryn Colledge 6-4, 300 Boise State*

As of 4/17/06

1 Houston: Reggie Bush RB 5-11, 200 Southern California

2 New Orleans: Mario Williams DE 6-7, 295 North Carolina State

3 Tennessee: Matt Leinart QB 6-4, 225 Southern California

4 New York Jets: D'Brickashaw Ferguson OT 6-5, 297 Virginia

5 Green Bay: A.J. Hawk LB 6-1, 243 Ohio State

6 San Francisco: Michael Huff DB 6-1, 205 Texas

7 Oakland: Brodrick Bunkley DT 6-2, 300 Florida State

8 Buffalo: Jay Cutler QB 6-3, 223 Vanderbilt

9 Detroit: Ernie Sims LB 6-1, 235, Florida State

10 Arizona: Vince Young QB 6-5, 235 Texas

11 St. Louis: Vernon Davis TE 6-2, 255 Maryland

12 Cleveland: Kamerion Wimbley OLB 6-3, 245 Florida State

13 Baltimore: Haloti Ngata DT 6-5, 340 Oregon

14 Philadelphia: Winston Justice OT 6-5, 300 Southern California

15 Denver (from Atlanta): Chad Jackson WR 6-2, 205 Florida

16 Miami: Donte Whitner S 5-11, 200 Ohio State

17 Minnesota: DeAngelo Williams RB 5-8, 208 Memphis

18 Dallas: Chad Greenway LB 6-2, 242 Iowa

19 San Diego: Santonio Holmes WR 5-11, 195 Ohio State

20 Kansas City: Ashton Youboty CB 6-1, 190 Ohio State

21 New England: Manny Lawson DE 6-5, 240 North Carolina State

22 Denver (from Washington): Laurence Maroney RB 5-11, 205 Minnesota

23 Tampa Bay: John McCargo DT 6-2, 310 North Carolina State

24 Cincinnati: Jason Allen FS/CB 6-2, 200 Tennessee

25 New York Giants: Johnathan Joseph CB 5-11, 190 South Carolina

26 Chicago: Sinorice Moss WR 5-8, 183 Miami

27 Carolina: LenDale White RB 6-1, 235 Southern California

28 Jacksonville: Joel Klopfenstien TE 6-5, 250 Colorado

29 New York Jets (from Denver thru Atlanta): Nick Mangold C 6-3, 297 Ohio State

30 Indianapolis: Joseph Addai RB 5-11, 210 LSU

31 Seattle: Davin Joseph OG 6-2, 304 Oklahoma

32 Pittsburgh: Gabe Watson DT 6-3, 341 Michigan

*Skins trade 2006 5th rounder, 7th rounder, and next year's #2 to move from #53 to #35 (Jets) to draft CB Kelly Jennings CB 5-11, 171 Miami*

i hope we trade down to get cromartie and not little kelly jennings

I hope we get Cromartie too, but Jennings is good and at 5-11, 178 lbs., has the frame to put on at least 10 lbs of muscle. He will at least be the same size as Smoot and did 11 bench presses to Smoot's 1! So we should be o.k. with Jerry Gray teaching him, if we wind up with Jennings. :D

I hope we get Cromartie too, but Jennings is good and at 5-11, 178 lbs., has the frame to put on at least 10 lbs of muscle. He will at least be the same size as Smoot and did 11 bench presses to Smoot's 1! So we should be o.k. with Jerry Gray teaching him, if we wind up with Jennings. :D

Holy **** Smoot did one rep?

But i would hate that scenario, giving up next years # 2.

I never knew that smoot only did one rep..... wow.....

That surprised me too, so I looked and it is true. Read how Kiper rated our draft that year - it's interesting what was said about Gardner (major talent), Smoot (best cover corner in draft), and McCants (sleeper)...

http://espn.go.com/melkiper/s/2001/0422/1177521.html

Washington Redskins: Receiver Rod Gardner was an outstanding pick and is a big-time talent. He makes their draft because they needed a top-quality receiver. He dropped into their laps at No. 15. He could have a major impact opposite Michael Westbrook. Fred Smoot was a first-round possibility for a number of teams, but he needs to get in the weight room and improve his strength. He only did one bench-press rep and is 178 pounds. If he stays focused, the Redskins got the best cover cornerback in the draft. They liked quarterback Sage Rosenfels, but I would have opted for Jesse Palmer. Darnerian McCants is a sleeper at receiver who made sense as a second-day selection. Mario Monds was overrated at defensive tackle. He doesn't always play the ball well or play up to the level of his physical ability. He's not an instinctive player. Grade: B-

I don't believe Vince Young will fall all the way to Arizona. I think the Saints will start a bidding war for the #2 pick if another team wants to beat out the titans for Leinart.

It will also be interesting to see if the Jets take D'brickshaw over Vince Young, on paper it would make since to draft the offensive tackle, but I think that it might just be to tempting and so I'm looking forward to what the jets will do at #4.

i think NO will draft Da Brick instead of Williams. They need a OL to protect their new investment at QB.

One very possible scenario. Green Bay will decide to prepare for football without brett, they will package a deal to NO to trade up to #2 and draft Lienhart. I know I know, they have Aaron Rodgers, but what is wrong with 2 young (highly anticipated) QBs? Then NO will draft D'brickshaw with the 5th overall pick.

Why would Buffalo draft Cutler when they already have him (Losman)?

Because this staff/front office did not draft Losman and as such, they don't owe him anything. And it's not like they have franchise QB money tied up in him either. (Think Patrick Ramsey/Joe Gibbs)

Good job with your mock. Better than most of the 'expert' mocks I've seen.

However, I still think the Titans will take Young. Having coached McNair for his entire career, Jeff Fisher knows the value of a scrambling QB. :2cents:

I think its a toss up for the Titans between Leinart and Young. Norm Chow coached Leinart at USC and knows the strengths and weaknesses in his passing game. Also, the fact that he knows Chow and the basics of his system means the transition would be easier than with Young. While the Titans know the importance of a scrambler, they have also had to deal with all the injuries Mcnair has suffered over the years. Don't get me wrong, the guy is a warrior, but scramblers have a pretty high injury rate these days (Mcnabb, Culpepper, Vick) and it seems as though coaches are starting to migrate back to pocket passers.

Pat Kirwan on NFL.com has the Skins taking Ray Edwards at #53 - anyone know anything about this guy?

This is from ESPN scouts INC. If we're going to go DE, I think Mark Anderson from Bama would be better.

Ray Edwards

DE | (6'4", 273, 4.82) | PURDUE

Scouts Grade: 85

Strengths: Possesses a very good frame and long arms. Shows room left on his frame to increase his bulk. Naturally athletic DE prospect who shows enough fluidity to possibly fit as a 3-4 OLB. Shows explosive pass rush potential and should only improve with more experience and coaching. He is smooth for his size. Shows very good COD skills. Possesses adequate initial quickness and good top end speed, especially for his size. He shows the ability to turn the corner with good balance as a pass rusher and he possesses above average closing burst to the QB. He is a fluid athlete for the position and has proven capable of dropping in coverage in certain situations. He is at his best in space versus the run. Is a decent open-field tackler. Shows the ability to chase down the run from behind when he's giving good effort. Possesses adequate-to-good upper body power, which gives him the potential to improve his array of pass rush moves and also to become more effective taking on blocks versus the run if he can improve his technique.

Weaknesses: Is still a bit lean. Must improve his overall bulk and strength. Has not learned to properly use his hands in order to keep off of blocks. Plays too erect and allows OT's to get into his body too easily. Possesses a narrow base and will look like he's on skates when he doesn't play with leverage versus the run. Lacks ideal recognition skills. Will get too far upfield and take himself out of plays occasionally. Also takes too long to find the ball carrier and will struggle to disengage quickly enough. Must become more consistent versus the run. Must also improve his array of pass rush moves. He can be dominant at times but will disappear at others. Needs to play with more consistency.

Overall: Edwards played in all 13 games at defensive end as a true freshman in 2003, when he finished with 10 tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks. He had a breakout sophomore season in 2004, when started all 12 games and piled up 45 tackles, 11 TFL and eight sacks. Edwards started all 11 games at RDE for the Boilermakers as a junior in 2005 and finished with 28 tackles, 11 TFL, 5.5 sacks and one interception. Edwards is a rangy, athletically gifted rush-end prospect that flashed a good deal of playmaking ability during his three seasons at Purdue. He is fluid enough to potentially spend some time dropping into coverage as a 3-4 OLB type and he also has the room on his frame to bulk up and improve his strength in order to play a more traditional DE role in a 4-3 alignment. Edwards had his best season as a sophomore in 2004 but regressed a bit during his junior season, which is why his decision to turn pro was a bit surprising. In fact, Edwards wasn't even the best defensive lineman on his team in 2005, as the far less talented DE Rob Ninkovich provided far more production. The team that drafts Edwards will need to be patient with him in order to give him the necessary time to improve his bulk, get stronger and polish his technique. However, Edwards' upside is great enough to warrant late-second round consideration in the 2006 draft.

Pat Kirwan on NFL.com has the Skins taking Ray Edwards at #53 - anyone know anything about this guy?

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/prospects/ray_edwards.html

Ray Edwards DE 6’6 272 Purdue Jr.

By: Robert Davis

Purdue has had some standout pass rushers that have moved on to the NFL like Shaun Phillips and Roosevelt Colvin, and Ray Edwards may be next. In a part time role as a freshman, he was named to the Big 10 All Freshman team. Once he moved into the lineup as a sophomore, he became a major threat off the edge. He finished the season with eight sacks, to go along with 45 tackles(11 for loss). This past season as a junior, his numbers dipped a bit, but he still finished the year with 28 tackles, 11 for loss, and 5.5 sacks.

Edwards has big time upside at the next level. He has the size and natural athleticism that teams covet in the draft. He displays a quick burst off the line, and the agility to slip past tackles to get into the backfield. He has a lot of pass rush upside. He also has the size to hold at the point in the running game, and has the frame to pack on more weight.

Click on link for rest of article.....

Archived